Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 01:58 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Well the other Americans put Uk and no harm but would it not be Canada because thats right beside America
Oh no, i'd put Mexico, UK and China before Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 02:00 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Well the other Americans put Uk and no harm but would it not be Canada because thats right beside America
Those other Americans are speaking from their own personal interests. Turn on the TV, and east Asia and east Europe dominates the news and has so for a while. For a while there was Downton Abbey and the royal wedding, but that has gone by the wayside. China, Japan, and Mexico are the only countries that has some kind of enduring influence in the US, whether it's Chinese food and movies, anime/manga, or Mexican food and the Spanish language. But, as I said before, ask any American to name a foreign country, any country, and Mexico is most likely the first to come to mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Oh no, i'd put Mexico, UK and China before Canada.
Lol, what about the UK? There hasn't been anything significant out of the UK in years, besides the occasional blip. It's extremely difficult, and close to impossible, to find quality British programming here. There is no shortage of such when it comes to China and Japan here.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:05 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Um so wait this is about the news is it?

Um no... Asia is on our news constantly but we never think about them..

Old 04-26-2014, 02:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lol, what about the UK? There hasn't been anything significant out of the UK in years, besides the occasional blip. It's extremely difficult, and close to impossible, to find quality British programming here. There is no shortage of such when it comes to China and Japan here.
We speak their language, lots of British actors and singers in Hollywood.
We have Chinatowns in alot of our major cities and Chinese food is really popular.
And we buy lots of Japanese cars and electronics.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:07 PM

Exactly. I dount Americans would consider japan ahead of UK thanks very much!!

Old 04-26-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Exactly. I dount Americans would consider japan ahead of UK thanks very much!!
You would think otherwise, but most Americans don't know that the computer they type on, the car they drive, the air conditioner they have, the TV that they have, the kitchen appliance they have, the video game console that they have, is very likely to be Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
We speak their language, lots of British actors and singers in Hollywood.
We have Chinatowns in alot of our major cities and Chinese food is really popular.
And we buy lots of Japanese cars and electronics.
So what if we speak their language? That doesn't mean a thing. Australia also speaks our language, and Canada, but those countries are largely invisible.

Exactly. Which is why Japan is light years ahead more exposed here than the UK is. But, in old fashioned American ignorance, the average joe here has no idea how many Japanese products they use on a daily basis

Quote:
Um so wait this is about the news is it?

Um no... Asia is on our news constantly but we never think about them..
Asia as in India and Pakistan? Because when I was there, Asian referred to people from India and Pakistan.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:20 PM

And the same thing can be said about our elctronics but um our influence is not from China or Japan!!

Your point in invalid then since this is worldwide.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:24 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
As many have said, it depends so much on your geopolitical location.

For my country, I could make some kind of ranking.

1st tier: Germany, Sweden, Russia
The first two are our strongest ideological allies, and in certain policies we're attached to each other. Especially with Sweden, and the policy is that we do this together or not at all. The EU membership was one of them, and the possible NATO-membership is as well. The Eurozone decision was the only one that we chose different paths, but we're still in the same boat. Russia again is a strong neighbor and an important business partner, so we want to listen to them.

2nd tier: France, Estonia
The first one is more an ideological and geopolitically important ally who we monitor very carefully, but not that much on a personal level, and the second a kinship nation who both present us with laborforce and new ideas.

2nd B tier: the UK, the US, Denmark, the NL
These are nations we monitor very carefully, but really don't have a personal relationship with. Especially the UK is important, but still distant. The US of course due of being the top player in the world.

3rd tier: China, Italy, Norway
The first one just for economical reasons, the second for a long-lasting relationship, and the third just for being our neighbor and ideologically and personally close, but outside the decisions of the EU.

Except for Austria and Luxembourg, all other nations are in the 4th tier, but those two are in the 3B tier just for political reasons.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
And the same thing can be said about our elctronics but um our influence is not from China or Japan!!

Your point in invalid then since this is worldwide.
Owen, I'm not talking about YOU or the UK. I'm talking about the US.

Then if this is worldwide, then the most influential nations on earth, today, are the US, Germany, Japan, China, Russia, and South Korea. The UK does not enter into international discussion anywhere, unless you talk about the BBC. UK cultural exports are limited to Australia and New Zealand. In terms of foreign policy, the UK is nowhere near the spotlight, and is usually tailing behind the US in that regard.

In terms of lasting legacy, then the UK would win, hands down. But, this isn't the early 1900s anymore. The Empire is long dead and just a memory.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:26 PM

LOL whatever...

clearly trying to be anti-British. Its pretty obvious that Japan has no influence on America. I mean lets be honest here when we do we see any Japanese things widespread in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World