Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 01:51 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,325,411 times

Advertisements

The USA is definitely the most thought about nation in the world. Unfortunately nowadays for all the wrong reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 01:58 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Hmmm I'd say Japanese is more than Thai now. I eat out a lot and have been all over Australia so have a good idea. Especially in the inner city there's literally a sushi joint every few blocks. Thai is very common too. But seriously, a few German bakeries in the entire metro? German food and culture is just nowhere near as known. Only a real euro centrist would think do.
But your talking about Australia... We aren't beside Japan and we don't have a large Japanese population.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:00 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Japan is the 2nd biggest exporter of pop culture in the world. The US has gotta be the 2nd biggest consumer of anime/manga outside of eastern Asia by percentage. I don't know about Australia, but there a very significant demand for anime here, it's a multi billion dollar industry. Regular bookstores here have manga lined up all against the walls here in the malls even in Podunk, PA. I also heard that France is the next largest consumer of Japanese anime/manga in the world. German cultural exports in North America probably amounted to just, probably no more than $100 million, and that is being extremely generous. Japanese stuff makes billions in the US, I honestly think a lot of white people seem to be ignorant, or deny, that Asia has infiltrated more into our countries than we like to admit.
We have Manga aswell and we aren't going round speaking Japanese..

We are talking about cultural values and things that actually influence the runnings of our country not where stuff is made.

My values are British and Christian. My values will never be asian influenced.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:51 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,986,643 times
Quote:
Hmmm I'd say Japanese is more than Thai now. I eat out a lot and have been all over Australia so have a good idea. Especially in the inner city there's literally a sushi joint every few blocks. Thai is very common too. But seriously, a few German bakeries in the entire metro? German food and culture is just nowhere near as known. Only a real euro centrist would think do.
Well Oktoberfest in my city was advertised quite a far bit and if you lived in Sydney and travelled a bit you would not miss the advertisements on it on an event regarding that. You don't live in Sydney, yet I not sure with Melbourne. In addition there has been Octoberfest events in other places out of Sydney in NSW that I am aware of and you can't easily miss that too.

I also have travelled all over Australia except for NT and WA and I would definitely say Thai restaurants are more common than Japanese food. In addition just because a place serves sushi does not necessary mean it is a Japanese restaurant.

Yes there are not as many German or French restaurants. The only European style of restaurants are quite common are Italian.

I did not mention that German bakeries outnumbered the Japanese style restaurants in my previous post.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:57 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Japan is the 2nd biggest exporter of pop culture in the world. The US has gotta be the 2nd biggest consumer of anime/manga outside of eastern Asia by percentage. I don't know about Australia, but there a very significant demand for anime here, it's a multi billion dollar industry. Regular bookstores here have manga lined up all against the walls here in the malls even in Podunk, PA. I also heard that France is the next largest consumer of Japanese anime/manga in the world. German cultural exports in North America probably amounted to just, probably no more than $100 million, and that is being extremely generous. Japanese stuff makes billions in the US, I honestly think a lot of white people seem to be ignorant, or deny, that Asia has infiltrated more into our countries than we like to admit.
Exactly, some people seem to deny that, or maybe it's less prominent in Europe or among older people. I'm talking a global perspective though. Japan being more prominent in Asia alone would already cement it's number 2 or 3 spot.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post

We are talking about cultural values and things that actually influence the runnings of our country not where stuff is made.

Like I said, Japanese is now the most taught second language in schools, and it's compulsory, so there's a heck of a lot of kids learning about Japanese culture. How is food not part of culture too? It's at the very heart of culture. Plus karate, millions of people in western country do karate, judo, aikido. People my age often talk about movies and video games which are Japanese. The influence of Japan is pervasive.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:02 AM

Quote:
But your talking about Australia... We aren't beside Japan and we don't have a large Japanese population.
Maybe not as influenced, but I still saw it when I was in the UK.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:06 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,040,657 times
Quote:
Like what, the colonies and resources you stole from other peoples?
How many people died in Dutch colonies compared to British/Spanish/Portuguese/French?
Just saying the Dutch were a lot less violent and more helpful to locals than the other European powers.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:10 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,986,643 times
Quote:

Well Christianity has its origins in Asia btw. Yes of course so many people would see that Christianity is an European based religion and not an Asian based religion yet Jesus Christ was a Jew that lived in Western Asia.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well Oktoberfest in my city was advertised quite a far bit and if you lived in Sydney and travelled a bit you would not miss the advertisements on it on an event regarding that. You don't live in Sydney, yet I not sure with Melbourne. In addition there has been Octoberfest events in other places out of Sydney in NSW that I am aware of and you can't easily miss that too.

I also have travelled all over Australia except for NT and WA and I would definitely say Thai restaurants are more common than Japanese food. In addition just because a place serves sushi does not necessary mean it is a Japanese restaurant.

Yes there are not as many German or French restaurants. The only European style of restaurants are quite common are Italian.

I did not mention that German bakeries outnumbered the Japanese style restaurants in my previous post.
Either way, Japanese restaurants vastly outnumber German ones. Japanese is far more taught than German, pop culture, consumer electronic, knowledge of traditional culture. All the things I listed basically, you don't need me to go into detail do you? You're not seriously suggesting German culture is more prevalent in Australia are you? Ocktoberfest once a year and a few German bakeries, what else you got?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World