Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 07:17 AM

354 posts, read 682,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
But why would Australians eat Japanese food on a daily basis?
Its clearly to cater for the immigrants from Japan which is on your side of the world...
I think plenty of non-Japanese eat Japanese food (sushi became trendy and hip in the 80s? and now Ramen noodles are becoming quite popular among the young crowds in North America and Asia as well?), but I agree not on a daily basis, unless they are on some kind of special diet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Actually WAY more people worldwide are learning Japanese now than they did in 1990. I remember reading about it. It's as popular as ever. Just go on youtube there are countless westerners in Japan, or learning Japanese, otakus and 'weibos' who are obsessed with Japan.

More people studying Japanese | The Japan Times

How many people are obsessed with Germany in the same way? Half of them seem to be neo-nazis if anything...

Hot dogs are an American thing. They may have been largely began by German immigrants, but nobody THINKS of them as German. That's the main thrust of the question, how famous are the nation's 'brands' if you like. If nobody knows hot dogs come from Frankfurt or wherever than it doesn't really count.
German is compulsory in my school...

Old 04-27-2014, 07:22 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Quote:
But why would Australians eat Japanese food on a daily basis?
Its clearly to cater for the immigrants from Japan which is on your side of the world...
LOL let me enlighten you then. I don't know all the reason's for it's massive popularity, I think the perception it's healthy is definitely one. Come to Melbourne or any other city here and you'll see how ubiquitous sushi and Japanese restaurants are in general, and how popular it is with Australians. Kids these days have no problem eating raw fish, I would have never done so as kids (back then sashimi was more niche). They even have sushi on the school canteen menu. Unfortunately, half of these Japanese places aren't even owned/run by Japanese, often by Chinese or Koreans who don't know how to make it authentic (or don't care).

Old 04-27-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
I think plenty of non-Japanese eat Japanese food (sushi became trendy and hip in the 80s? and now Ramen noodles are becoming quite popular among the young crowds in North America and Asia as well?), but I agree not on a daily basis, unless they are on some kind of special diet?
There are plenty of people here, not Japanese, who would eat Japanese food on a daily or near daily basis, a lot of office workers etc. Sushi is far more common in the city than say meat pies, and as common as sandwiches. People don't even think of it as strange or foreign, it's become part of the modern urban lifestyle in Australia.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:35 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,986,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florian73 View Post
@other99

I am sure that every german, at least in this forum knows that. The developements in the US car industry are taught in german schools. Here is a site of a german school atlas with a map of the US car industry that shows the developement:

Diercke Weltatlas - Kartenansicht - USA - Entwicklung der Automobilindustrie

In this thread we don't talk about what happens 30 or 50 years ago. The OP ask about the current influence in the world. Switzerland nearly lost their whole watch industry during the "Quartz-Crisis". At this time 70's - mid 80's Japan has of course a huge influence on Switzerland. Rural regions in the Romandie was hit dramatically by the competition through the japanese watch industry. But today? There is almost no japanese influence in Switzerland. I don't say that I think that's a good developement. But in my opinion the japanese influence in the world is declining.
Maybe Japanese influence is declining except for its car industry. Toyota is the worlds biggest car manufacturer and from 2012 to 2013 its share in the US market has increased.Toyota was able to increase its market share in the U.S. from 12.9 percent to 14.4 percent, narrowing the gap with General Motors which now have a 17.9 percent share.Toyota is now officially the world's largest car manufacturer I not sure with watches yet I have heard of the Japanese takeover of watches in Switzerland.

Yet even so far in 2014 Toyota is still the biggest car company in the world.http://www.talktalk.co.uk/news/busin.../#.U10JAfmSxxo

Last edited by other99; 04-27-2014 at 07:44 AM..

Old 04-27-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Maybe Japanese influence is declining except for its car industry. Toyota is the worlds biggest car manufacturer and from 2012 to 2013 its share in the US market has increased.Toyota was able to increase its market share in the U.S. from 12.9 percent to 14.4 percent, narrowing the gap with General Motors which now have a 17.9 percent share.Toyota is now officially the world's largest car manufacturer I not sure with watches yet I have heard of the Japanese takeover of watches in Switzerland.

Yet even so far in 2014 Toyota is still the biggest car company in the world.Toyota sales stay on top of world
Aren't most Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc vehicles in the US made in US plants?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
LOL let me enlighten you then. I don't know all the reason's for it's massive popularity, I think the perception it's healthy is definitely one. Come to Melbourne or any other city here and you'll see how ubiquitous sushi and Japanese restaurants are in general, and how popular it is with Australians. Kids these days have no problem eating raw fish, I would have never done so as kids (back then sashimi was more niche). They even have sushi on the school canteen menu. Unfortunately, half of these Japanese places aren't even owned/run by Japanese, often by Chinese or Koreans who don't know how to make it authentic (or don't care).
But thats Australia!!!

It is thousands of miles away from anywhere and is closer to Asia by far compared to any western nation. We simply do not do Japanese here!!! End of discussion!

Old 04-27-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post

Yet even so far in 2014 Toyota is still the biggest car company in the world.Toyota sales stay on top of world
I don't know about you but when i'm out and about most cars I see would be Ford, BMW, Peugeot. We have some Kia's and Toyotas but its more the European ones.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:16 AM

132 posts, read 150,226 times
@other99

As far as I know Toyata was for the most time in the last 10 or 20 years the biggest car company in the world. BTW I drive a Toyota and I like it ;-) But I don't feel influenced by driving a japanese car. My car was build in Derby, UK and it is only available in Europe, as far as I know.

I don't have any problems with Japan, japanese culture or japanese products. I was only very surprised that there is so much japanese influence in Australia and maybe the US. It's completely not the case in Europe.

@The Postman

Quote:
Aren't most Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc vehicles in the US made in US plants?
OICA

Production in North America (in thousands)

Toyota: USA: 1.201; CDN: 519; MEX: 56
Honda: USA: 1.219; CDN: 410; MEX: 62
Nissan: USA: 645; MEX: 684

That's more than 5 Mio cars. Really impressive.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
But thats Australia!!!

It is thousands of miles away from anywhere and is closer to Asia by far compared to any western nation. We simply do not do Japanese here!!! End of discussion!
Wow, you're getting into a real tizz.

What do you mean you don't 'do' Japanese there? So no British person ever eats Japanese food? Oh so I was imagining all those Japanese restaurants when I went to the UK, with British people eating in them?

Seriously mate, go back to posting on Stormfront...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World