Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Actually WAY more people worldwide are learning Japanese now than they did in 1990. I remember reading about it. It's as popular as ever. Just go on youtube there are countless westerners in Japan, or learning Japanese, otakus and 'weibos' who are obsessed with Japan.

More people studying Japanese | The Japan Times

How many people are obsessed with Germany in the same way? Half of them seem to be neo-nazis if anything...

Hot dogs are an American thing. They may have been largely began by German immigrants, but nobody THINKS of them as German. That's the main thrust of the question, how famous are the nation's 'brands' if you like. If nobody knows hot dogs come from Frankfurt or wherever than it doesn't really count.
And I suppose that makes you an Emperor-worshipping Kamikaze pilot longing for another go at dominating the "lesser" Asian races of China and Korea...

Hot Dogs are worldwide. I've seen them everywhere from Bulgaria to Vietnam.

And speaking of brands...do Mercedes-Benz, Siemens, and Adidas sound familiar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 09:49 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
LOL let me enlighten you then. I don't know all the reason's for it's massive popularity, I think the perception it's healthy is definitely one. Come to Melbourne or any other city here and you'll see how ubiquitous sushi and Japanese restaurants are in general, and how popular it is with Australians. Kids these days have no problem eating raw fish, I would have never done so as kids (back then sashimi was more niche). They even have sushi on the school canteen menu. Unfortunately, half of these Japanese places aren't even owned/run by Japanese, often by Chinese or Koreans who don't know how to make it authentic (or don't care).
There are Mexican restaurants on every corner in the US, therefore Mexico is one of the most influential countries in the world...

Old 04-27-2014, 09:58 AM

132 posts, read 150,156 times
In Germany there are not so many japanese Restaurants or Bars. Mostly bigger Citys (>100K) have them. But you can find thousands of chinese Restaurants. There are probably more chinese Restaurants than chinese people live in Germany. Even small towns often have Chinese Restaurants. Food there is really cheap, all you can eat buffets often for 10 - 12 Euro. There are often not run by chinese people. But in my opinion those chinese eating places does not lead to chinese influence in Germany. I am not sure why they don't generate chinese influence. In the opposite, all these turkish eating places with the Döner have an enormous impact on the german culture. Dito for all other minorities in Germany.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:05 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,277,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Um but is it not clear?

I mean British people share a strong relationship with the Irish. I mean surely your neighbour would be your biggest trading partner.
A lot of Americans know shockingly little about Canada and rarely give it a thought.
Most are totally unaware that Canada id their largest trading partner,
I bet most Americans think it's China.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:28 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
And I suppose that makes you an Emperor-worshipping Kamikaze pilot longing for another go at dominating the "lesser" Asian races of China and Korea...

Me? I never said I was a Japophile.

Yes, they're an American thing.

Adidas is German? Didn't even know that, I doubt most people do.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:30 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

Postman is ethnic Chinese lol

Old 04-27-2014, 10:30 AM

@Postman

you are from Melbourne. I know there are a lot of Aldi stores in Eastern Australia. Aldi is the prime example of german grocery shopping. Aldi's market share in Australia is now slightly over 10% and will probably rise to 15% in the next years. Many Aussies came in contact with a real german shopping experience and that on a weekly basis :-) Be happy, that you can save money at Aldi, so you can eat more nice japanese food ;-)

From the 20 biggest grocery chain companies in the world are 5 from Germany, 5 from France, 4 from the USA, 2 from Japan, 2 from UK, 1 from Australia and 1 from the Netherlands. The 5 five german grocery companies have sales in 2013 of 327 Bil. USD compared to 122 Bil. USD of the 2 japanese grocery companies. The discounter Aldi and Lidl offer the real german shopping experience ;-) I think that's an exceptionally culture export ;lol

Top 20 Lebensmittelhandel Welt 2014 - Rankings - Lebensmittel Zeitung

I am from Düsseldorf, ca. 1% of the population is japanese. We have an annually Japan-Tag. The festival is considered to be the biggest japanese festival outside from Japan.

Despite that the festical is next to me, I was never there. Looks japanese culture really like that:

Japantag 2012 in Düsseldorf

Old 04-27-2014, 10:32 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florian73 View Post
@Postman

you are from Melbourne. I know there are a lot of Aldi stores in Eastern Australia. Aldi is the prime example of german grocery shopping. Aldi's market share in Australia is now slightly over 10% and will probably rise to 15% in the next years. Many Aussies came in contact with a real german shopping experience and that on a weekly base :-) Be happy, that you can save money at Aldi, so you can eat more nice japanese food ;-)

From the 20 biggest grocery chain companies in the world are 5 from Germany, 5 from France, 4 from the USA, 2 from Japan, 2 from UK, 1 from Australia and 1 from the Netherlands. The 5 five german grocery companies have sales in 2013 of 327 Bil. USD compared to 122 Bil. USD of the 2 japanese grocery companies. The discounter Aldi and Lidl offer the real german shopping experience ;-) I think that's an exceptionally culture export ;lol

Top 20 Lebensmittelhandel Welt 2014 - Rankings - Lebensmittel Zeitung

I am from Düsseldorf, ca. 1% of the population is japanese. We have an annually Japan-Tag. The festival is considered to be the biggest japanese festival outside from Japan.

Despite that the festical is next to me, I was never there. Looks japanese culture really like that:

Japantag 2012 in Düsseldorf
That's pop culture lol. Real Japanese festivals would be like the Cherry Blossom Festival. Despite what Westerners think, not everybody cosplays in Japan.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Adidas is German? Didn't even know that, I doubt most people do.
WTF ;-) Of course that's truly german. It's an german icon. But I like Nike more

Old 04-27-2014, 10:52 AM

354 posts, read 682,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's pop culture lol. Real Japanese festivals would be like the Cherry Blossom Festival. Despite what Westerners think, not everybody cosplays in Japan.
But not too many people outside of japan know about cherry blossom and other types of matsuri, even visitors to japan I must say. The one in Germany looks a bit like comic conventions. Though I have been to the Japanese festival in LA and Vancouver and they are pretty great Though from the look of it there were a lot of people of Japanese ancestry attending those festivals as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World