Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 08:10 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMBONyc View Post
Urban america is going downhill. This time next year I suspect it'll be even worse.
Actually, it's a lot better than it used to be when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s....but it still has a long way to go on a lot of different levels including:

--Better building codes for high density housing (i.e. not cheap flim flam construction with paper thin walls)
--Not letting the mentally ill and drug addicted homeless wander the streets at will.
--Need for lower crime (although it is lower than it used to be)
--Need for better public schools (which can't all be blamed on the schools...There are a lot of complacent/unmotivated American parents out there who see school as a babysitter).
--Not enough housing that middle income people can actually afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
You mean get crime up to European levels right? Baltimore aside, most American towns would be horrified at the crime rates of many a Euro nation
Eh, I'm not Euro-cheerleader, but I think you've got this one wrong.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
My advice: go live in the countries that appeal to what youre looking for.
That is hardly realistic for the vast majority of people and you know it.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:28 PM

45 posts, read 57,273 times
I personally think N. American towns are nicer. Not the ones in California, but the ones on the East Coast.

Some really pretty scenery and homes along the New England belt.

Europe doesn't have the diversity or the ability to grow beyond what it is now. Those cities were built so long ago, that here isn't a lot of room for growth or expansion. They are literally archaic. Then there's the lack of land factor, especially considering Europe is so dense. North America is beautiful, a lot of people are too ***** to admit that.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:05 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,269 times
^^^ I totally agree. North America is absolutely beautiful. Americans can be proud to still have some wild untouched nature. I'm very much a nature person myself and i loved the wide open spaces of America. Most people here don't even know what real nature is anymore, except for maybe Scandinavia and some Eastern EU countries.

I can also perfectly understand the wider setup of American towns and cities. I think it looks pretty nice and comfortable. At least you got some space around you! Our cities were built in a time when all that had to fit a street was a horse and carriage and times have changed. The "walkability" of our cities that so many people here praise, mostly means "undrivable" which is a disaster for most people. Because no matter what anyone says, most people still need a car to get to work.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:44 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
I mentioned that Seattle is a mixed bag.

I said that Seattle has some urban amenities.

But despite the hype in some CD threads, downtown Seattle is freaking ugly.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:53 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Remember that in the US you pretty much have to flee from the city if you want to have a future for your children, bar a few exceptions. This is not the case in urban centres of Europe. Inner city life is much the least desirable over there, as you have made a good job destroying your cities. Not about the mysterious "market".

Old 06-21-2015, 01:01 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandoreko View Post
Europe doesn't have the diversity or the ability to grow beyond what it is now. Those cities were built so long ago, that here isn't a lot of room for growth or expansion. They are literally archaic. Then there's the lack of land factor, especially considering Europe is so dense. North America is beautiful, a lot of people are too ***** to admit that.
Huh? You do realize that European cities aren't confined to the areas within ancient city walls?

Old 06-23-2015, 01:10 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
American value individualism and independence far more than Europeans do, Most Americans do not want to live on top of each other, most Americans want a front and back yard. The Newer trend now is to build cities denser, which many American cities are infilling to be, but most Americans are still going live in the suburbs. The Objective is to increase density as more of a option not to get rid of the suburbs.

American car culture with sub cultures are also more complex. People take pride in customizing automobiles to a level that's non existing in Europe.... Well I think all American cities should increase the option for public transportation cause it's needed. But Americans don't want to be like Japan. Americans don't want America to look like Europe heck Americans don't want America to be full of New Yorks either.

Older American cities are develop denser, in fact many of Americans cities where once a lot more denser. But urban renewal. Took some American cities a part a little. Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas are examples.

Anyways it's not just the time difference, and cars it's the amount of space the US has. Australia has this enormous outback most people stay of the coast, Brazil has this large Rain forest, Canada is cold so most people stay at the southern end. American culture romanticize the frontier. So as American cities grew in the early 20th century with the popularity of cars, The idea form "The American dream" everyone could own a house and a car.

Now I believe America over built sprawl and under build more diverse options for urban living but don't get carry away. And Think most America want to live tightly like Europeans.

New Orleans, Boston, Philly, and Philly are closest cities built European like.

The funny thing is LA has a dense core, it's actually has the longest continuous density in the US. But When people think of LA they think of the Valley, they don't think about Central LA. ironicly LA core is often used in films to betray NY.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/...a896f49b_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1245/...17a623cb_b.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/148/3...ad88e74f_b.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/170/4...fed3121d_b.jpg

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1068/1...58f59de0_b.jpg

Old 06-23-2015, 03:29 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The better question: why did N American towns go away from the pre WW2 American model? You had scenic, walkable core areas and classy housing that was compact yet offered more breathing room than European styles.

Old school neighborhoods are making a comeback, many cities have at least one newly built traditional style neighborhood. Realtors are taking notice that these areas maintained or grew property value throughout the housing bubble and are highly coveted.

Here's an example in my city

https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...c983c546db801a

That's all newly built?? Even the commercial buildings?!?! I LOVE IT!!!! (not the street layout though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World