Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 07:40 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,647,655 times

Advertisements

And yet, California can't manage to have a city that is nearly as interesting as London. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 08:31 PM

30,344 posts, read 19,138,862 times
What many people ignore and gloss over is that the USA gdp is much higher than most European countries. California is 10th in per capita gdp of the US states but has by far the largest population of any US state. California has been an economic powerhouse for decades and most impressively has been their contribution to tech development.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:33 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
And yet, California can't manage to have a city that is nearly as interesting as London. lol
True, but the UK really only has one desirable city; CA has many.

CA has two world class cities (and San Diego isn't far behind), UK only has London.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:37 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You do realize that most cities in California are little more than a century old, the most interesting city in my opinion is San Francisco, in 1906 eighty percent of it burned to the ground. I do wish we had more nice old historic buildings.

We don't have a long history California was admitted to the union in 1850.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:13 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
California isn't the 5th largest economy in the world, as California isn't a national entity but a subsidiary of the internal market called the United States of America. If California were independent, it would not be the 5th largest economy, as it wouldn't be a part of the massive US economy.
US states have a lot more autonomy than the sub-national units of most other countries so I wouldn't down play this quite so much.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:20 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
You do realize that most cities in California are little more than a century old, the most interesting city in my opinion is San Francisco, in 1906 eighty percent of it burned to the ground. I do wish we had more nice old historic buildings.

We don't have a long history California was admitted to the union in 1850.
San Francisco would look very different today if it weren't for the 1906 earthquake for sure.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:23 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
True, but the UK really only has one desirable city; CA has many.
What are you talking about? It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant a lot of Americans are.
Edinburgh is a very desirable city, so are Oxford, Cambridge and Bristol. Manchester and Liverpool are also resurging into excellent cities.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh by Oscar F. Hevia, on Flickr

Golden Edinburgh by Kirsty McWhirter, on Flickr

Union Canal by Chris Johnston, on Flickr

Arthurs Seat - April 2015 #18 by swami666, on Flickr

Edinburgh by michael_hamburg69, on Flickr

Arthurs Seat - August 2014 #1 by swami666, on Flickr

Old 10-08-2016, 12:34 AM

769 posts, read 1,006,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
What are you talking about? It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant a lot of Americans are.
Edinburgh is a very desirable city, so are Oxford, Cambridge and Bristol. Manchester and Liverpool are also resurging into excellent cities.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh by Oscar F. Hevia, on Flickr

Golden Edinburgh by Kirsty McWhirter, on Flickr

Union Canal by Chris Johnston, on Flickr

Arthurs Seat - April 2015 #18 by swami666, on Flickr

Edinburgh by michael_hamburg69, on Flickr

Arthurs Seat - August 2014 #1 by swami666, on Flickr

Oh give me a break. I've lived in London, Edinburgh, and LA. London is the only global city in the UK. Edinburgh is lovely and charming. It's also extremely beautiful. However, it's small and often times boring. Not to mention that the weather is ghastly.

London is sensational. Everyone knows that.

LA & SF are also very prominent world class cities that put everything in the UK (minus London) to shame. You simply can't compare them with the likes of Edinburgh or Bristol or Glasgow, etc.

Oxford and Cambridge are nice, but are also small, boring, and basically revolve around their respective unis. Not exactly electrifying world cities with nightlife rivaling Ibiza or Miami.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:06 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
Oxford and Cambridge are nice, but are also small, boring, and basically revolve around their respective unis. Not exactly electrifying world cities with nightlife rivaling Ibiza or Miami.
Didn't know a city was based on its nightlife and not its infrastructure, safety and quality of life. Education obviously means nothing to you compared to nightlife. And FYI the nightlife in cities like Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle is extremely lively. Your exact words were desirable city and all the aforementioned are desirable due to their quality of life.

Also the breach between London and San Francisco is vastly larger than anything between SF and Manchester.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:07 AM

30,344 posts, read 19,138,862 times
In the battle of who has the nicer cities, I'll take SF, LA, San Jose, San Diego and Sacramento over the 2nd best city in the UK....not to mention Santa Barbara and Napa/Sonoma. For me, the awesome climate trumps lush green vegetation from the cloudy/rainy winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World