Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 04:42 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
What makes you think that San Francisco is a bigger 'hub' for immigration than Manchester?
Um, the fact that we have Census data from the U.S. and UK that confirms SF receives far more immigrants than Manchester?
Quote:
As for the University comment I doubt it! What is the name of this University? Is it more prestigious than Oxford (a university for a thousand years) or Cambridge? What makes you think so exactly?
Yes, Stanford is clearly more prestigious than Oxbridge, neither of which are anywhere near Manchester. Relative age of university is irrelevant; if that mattered than Italy would have the best universities on earth.
Quote:
I am smart enough to realise that being English this is going to be likely, let me guess are you American by any chance!?
No, you would be guessing wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 05:58 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
[/b]

I think it would. There's a very free spirited mentality here, the idea that you can create, create, create is everywhere.

Many Californians identify with state first, then nationality. Not sure why. It's very popular here to wear clothes with the California flag, or dress things with images of the CA flag.
This is extremely common. You can hardly go anywhere without seeing "California Republic" shirts in the various styles they've made them. I have, or used to have one myself. Don't know where it is though.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
I'm guessing they're referring to Berkeley which, to be fair, is pretty well-known! However, it isn't strictly in San Francisco as such but is in the bay area, just north of Oakland. The bay area is most certainly the tech capital of the world, I think it would be difficult to argue against that. Where Manchester beats the whole bay area is in music, and by quite a margin.
It's not in San Francisco at all.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
CA for the last 20 or 30 years, has been rated as 8th in the world. And I wouldn't get too smug about California; as the drought worsens, things will change.
California grew from 8th to 5th during the height of the drought.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
That's actually a problem I had with a member on here who was arguing for the superiority of SF over London. In order to even compete, she had to cite the whole bay area, and even then fell short. That said I absolutely love San Francisco, even if it has apparently lost a little of its character to gentrification.
Ruth does make a good point there. Too often, people lump the entire Bay Area in with SF and you can't do that. UC Berkeley has no connection to the city of San Francisco in any way and never has. In fact, there is also a UC San Francisco in San Francisco so that is San Francisco's UC school, not Berkeley.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Ruth does make a good point there. Too often, people lump the entire Bay Area in with SF and you can't do that.
Why not?

Why would you treat SF differently than any other metro on earth? Is London now a small town, because we're only allowed to use the technical limits of the City of London? The City only has 8,000 residents, going by your argument.

Is the Strip not in Las Vegas? Is Disney World not in Orlando? Is Paris DeGaulle not in Paris? Is Miami Beach not in Miami? Is the Vatican not in Rome? This is seriously your argument?

Quote:
UC Berkeley has no connection to the city of San Francisco in any way and never has. In fact, there is also a UC San Francisco in San Francisco so that is San Francisco's UC school, not Berkeley.
I have no idea what this means. Both UC's are in the Bay Area, and therefore SF-area schools.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That's nice, but I'm not American. I'm German.
I have seen your posts around quite a bit which is why I am surprised that you are seemingly unaware that to express an unpopular opinion makes you an "American" on City-Data.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Why not?

Why would you treat SF differently than any other metro on earth? Is London now a small town, because we're only allowed to use the technical limits of the City of London? The City only has 8,000 residents, going by your argument.

Is the Strip not in Las Vegas? Is Disney World not in Orlando? Is Paris DeGaulle not in Paris? Is Miami Beach not in Miami? Is the Vatican not in Rome? This is seriously your argument?

I have no idea what this means. Both UC's are in the Bay Area, and therefore SF-area schools.
I know this is going to go nowhere with you but I'll give it a shot:

Berkeley and San Francisco are two different cities, in two different counties, each with their own set of issues and other idiosyncrasies unique to them. Also, your comparisons are disingenuous and you know this. Of course the strip is in Vegas and Miami Beach is in Miami. However, UC Berkeley is not in San Francisco, UC San Francisco is. You stated that you have no idea what this means, sensible people don't speak up until they do know what's happening.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I know this is going to go nowhere with you but I'll give it a shot:

Berkeley and San Francisco are two different cities, in two different counties, each with their own set of issues and other idiosyncrasies unique to them.
Yes, but the same is true of any other cities in any other metro area, including every metro I listed.
Quote:
Also, your comparisons are disingenuous and you know this. Of course the strip is in Vegas and Miami Beach is in Miami.
issues and other idiosyncrasies unique to them.
Nope. The Strip is in unincorporated Clark County. Not in the City of Las Vegas. Doesn't count, according to you..

And Miami Beach is a totally separate city from Miami, "each with their own set of issues and other idiosyncrasies unique to them" as you wrote. There are actually no beaches whatsoever in Miami.

Big Ben and Parliament aren't in the City of London. Doesn't count for London, because must be in city limits proper only, according to you.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:54 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Ruth does make a good point there. Too often, people lump the entire Bay Area in with SF and you can't do that. UC Berkeley has no connection to the city of San Francisco in any way and never has. In fact, there is also a UC San Francisco in San Francisco so that is San Francisco's UC school, not Berkeley.
UC SF is a medical school, not undergraduate like UCBerkeley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World