Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2016, 08:52 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It was sarcasm.

Well I wholeheartedly agree then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 02:18 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Well I wholeheartedly agree then.
it was also the truth, there are better links

Old 10-10-2016, 04:37 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,248,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
it was also the truth, there are better links
Well no it's not the truth, and the onus is on NOLA and, perhaps yourself, to provide those links. Like it or not both Oxford and Cambridge ARE renowned worldwide, it's not even arguable. And NOLA has been told numerous times on here, by people who seem to know what they're talking about, that endowments are not the only metric by which to judge a university given UK establishments are largely privately funded. Give it up before you embarrass yourselves further.

Anyway, ultimately who really cares that California has a higher economy than the UK, apart from a few homers on here? It doesn't automatically bestow the state with everything the UK has to offer - it won't compare directly with its history or culture*. Ultimately, this will effect the day-to-day lives of a tiny amount of people but if it makes YOU feel better, well, good for you.

*For the record, I f'ing love California and have visited LA and the Bay area twice in the last year

Last edited by pbobcat; 10-10-2016 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-10-2016, 06:40 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,824,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Yes it does, it's right up there with the top universities in most global rankings as are UCL and Imperial, whilst the LSE is also amongst the best in it's field. The Universities of Oxford, Cambridge and London form what is known as the Golden Triangle.

THE World Reputation Rankings: UK's university 'golden triangle' strengthens grip -Times Educational Supplement (TES)

In terms of Manchester it is one of a number of very good Northern Universities who form the N8 Research Partnership.

N8 Research Partnership
THE World Reputation Rankings are British. So there's a bias there. Not saying that Oxbridge is not prestigious, but I would prefer another source like the Shanghai University one.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:47 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Well no it's not the truth, and the onus is on NOLA and, perhaps yourself, to provide those links.
There are no standard world university rankings, so nothing to link. The previous referenced link was a biased British website.
Quote:
Like it or not both Oxford and Cambridge ARE renowned worldwide, it's not even arguable.
Apparently you aren't following the conversation, as no one said otherwise. Saying "Oxbridge are inferior to Harvard" is not the same thing as saying "Oxbridge aren't renowned". Yale is inferior to Harvard too; that doesn't make it Trump University.
Quote:
And NOLA has been told numerous times on here, by people who seem to know what they're talking about, that endowments are not the only metric by which to judge a university given UK establishments are largely privately funded.
Now I know you definitely aren't following the conversation, as no one ever claimed that "endowments are the only metric by which to judge a university". You're simply making stuff up.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:07 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Well no it's not the truth, and the onus is on NOLA and, perhaps yourself, to provide those links. Like it or not both Oxford and Cambridge ARE renowned worldwide, it's not even arguable. And NOLA has been told numerous times on here, by people who seem to know what they're talking about, that endowments are not the only metric by which to judge a university given UK establishments are largely privately funded. Give it up before you embarrass yourselves further.

Anyway, ultimately who really cares that California has a higher economy than the UK, apart from a few homers on here? It doesn't automatically bestow the state with everything the UK has to offer - it won't compare directly with its history or culture*. Ultimately, this will effect the day-to-day lives of a tiny amount of people but if it makes YOU feel better, well, good for you.

*For the record, I f'ing love California and have visited LA and the Bay area twice in the last year
I know that Oxford and Cambridge are both great schools, I only meant they are not comparable with IV league and Stanford when it comes to endowment, that's all.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:47 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,278,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I know that Oxford and Cambridge are both great schools, I only meant they are not comparable with IV league and Stanford when it comes to endowment, that's all.
Mainly because of all those super rich tech billionaires taking advantage of
US tax loop holes ala Trump.

Oxford and Cambridge are still imo a tier above, 2 of the best universities in the world.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
A discussion comparing California to the UK has gone on for 14 pages. Impressive for a place not even an independent country.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:11 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,245,076 times
It's the edge of the world and all of western civilization, the sun may rise in the East at least it settles in a final location, it's understood that California exceeds United Kingdom.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:14 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
THE World Reputation Rankings are British. So there's a bias there. Not saying that Oxbridge is not prestigious, but I would prefer another source like the Shanghai University one.
You just need to look at Inventions and Discoveries, which is something the UK is very good at, as for the top British Universities, they are among the best anywhere full stop.

There are only a handful of Universities in the UK, which are considered as being a among the best, however most Russell Group Univesities are very good and world class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World