Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 09:04 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
historically yes, those could be considered among the top three but things have changed due to importance on STEM over law and literature. Yale has been falling behind in this sector which has caused the student body to push for more focus on programming classes and such, oxford is well behind Cambridge being more historically a liberal arts school. Harvard, while having an excellent engineering school still puts their main focus on law. If you look at listing of tops schools in america (and the world) made today you'll often see MIT, CALtech, and Stanford fighting in the top 3
This is true to a limited degree. There was a particularly strong rise in rankings for schools with STEMs research focused grad programs over the last decade and a half because of an emphasis on papers published and money spent (obviously, lab equipment and machinery costs are going to be higher for most STEMs studies than other fields), but even with that there's not really a demarcating line among the more old guard top schools and the newer ones in the three most recognized global university rankings. This is why you have something like this year's THE rankings which has put Oxford back to number one, ARWU putting Harvard at number one, and QS putting MIT at number one. There's basically about ten schools or so which have horse traded for first place in the major rankings over the last decade and a half and it will likely be this same set of old guard schools and the schools that rely more heavily on their research numbers for STEMs fields that will keep swapping back and forth for years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 10:14 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
historically yes, those could be considered among the top three but things have changed due to importance on STEM over law and literature. Yale has been falling behind in this sector which has caused the student body to push for more focus on programming classes and such, oxford is well behind Cambridge being more historically a liberal arts school. Harvard, while having an excellent engineering school still puts their main focus on law. If you look at listing of tops schools in america (and the world) made today you'll often see MIT, CALtech, and Stanford fighting in the top 3
And I didn't say that Stanford is definitely the #1 school; I simply said it was arguable.

Yes, one could argue that Harvard is #1 (I would probably still give the edge to Harvard) and Yale, Princeton, Columbia, MIT, Caltech are likely in the conversation too.

Oxbridge too, but honestly that's largely a legacy reputation. Oxbridge don't produce the same research/scholarship as in the past, they both have relatively small endowments and aren't as competitive as the top U.S. schools.

In any case, the University of Manchester would not be in the conversation, and no one would consider it an academic equivalent to Stanford.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And I didn't say that Stanford is definitely the #1 school; I simply said it was arguable.

Yes, one could argue that Harvard is #1 (I would probably still give the edge to Harvard) and Yale, Princeton, Columbia, MIT, Caltech are likely in the conversation too.

Oxbridge too, but honestly that's largely a legacy reputation. Oxbridge don't produce the same research/scholarship as in the past, they both have relatively small endowments and aren't as competitive as the top U.S. schools.

In any case, the University of Manchester would not be in the conversation, and no one would consider it an academic equivalent to Stanford.
Really

A large percentage of the top universities funds come through public research money such as the Medical Research Council and NHS, whilst large biomedical research funds such as the Welcome Trust (£18 Billion) also contribute, as do a number of other Charities including Cancer Research UK (the world's largest independent cancer research charity).

In terms of private donations, UK Universities now have a growing number of private benefactors and backers, whilst UK Universities now raise money through their own tuition fees, and many UK Universities have now invested in overseas campuses and are also involved in joint research ventures.

The UK has a significant pharmaceutical industry with one in five of the world's biggest-selling prescription drugs being developed in the UK and home grown companies such as GlaxoSmithKline and AstraZeneca as well as Foreign pharmaceutical companies such as Pfizer, Novartis, Hoffmann–La Roche and Eisai all having a major presence in the UK . The UK also has a lot of research facilities across the country with Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh and London being world famous centres for medical science. British Scientists were also instrumental in the development of MRI Machines and CT Scanners used to diagnose such Brain Cancers and were awarded Nobel Prizes for their efforts.

Peter Mansfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Godfrey Hounsfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times

Britain is home to GlaxoSmithKline, the largest European drug maker, and AstraZeneca. The industry adds about £7.5 billion a year to the economy, and one in five of the world's top treatments was developed in Britain, according to the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry.

British regulator calls for drug pricing overhaul - Business - New York Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Marsden and and The Institute of Cancer Research

The Royal Marsden (London) and its academic partner, The Institute of Cancer Research (UK), have discovered or developed more new anti-cancer drugs than the National Cancer Institute in the USA.

Our groundbreaking research - Royal Marsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancer Research UK

“Our research is behind 19 of the top 20 drugs used to treat cancer patients worldwide today. Our work has underpinned the huge progress we are now seeing in preventing more deaths from lung cancer. And our progress over decades has helped to develop radiotherapy as a major form of treatment for half of all cancer patients.

Deaths from common cancers at 40-year low - Telegraph
The UK Wellcome Trust Medical Research Charity

Wellcome Trust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our vision and how we realise it through our funding | Wellcome Trust

Cancer Research UK - The world's largest independent cancer research charity

Cancer Research UK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cancer Research UK

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-09-2016 at 01:34 PM..

Old 10-09-2016, 12:52 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh, it's a discussion forum and I saw a post that seemed clearly wrong so I corrected it. I used an electronic computing device to do so!
Dude, take it down a notch or two. It's not that serious jesus.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Really
Yes, really. Show me a global ratings systems that ranks Manchester with Stanford.

University of Manchester's endownment is £189 million. Stanford's endowment is $22.2 billion. Just a slight difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_endowment

Old 10-09-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, really. Show me a global ratings systems that ranks Manchester with Stanford.

University of Manchester's endownment is £189 million. Stanford's endowment is $22.2 billion. Just a slight difference.

What are you prattling on about Manchester for, it's not the best University even in England, as for Endowments, I have already explained in a previous post about the difference in funding and that British Universities and generally Public Institutions rather than Private .

Manchester is a decent University, with 25 Nobel Prizes in a city, which is on a level similar to some Ivy League Universities, so I am not sure what point you are trying to make. If you want to compare Stanford than I suggest you do it with a comparable institution such as Oxbridge or London, which is a global knowledge hub.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:35 PM

The University of Cambridge Biomedical Campus

Cambridge Biomedical Campus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cambridge Biomedical Campus

The New Francis Crick Medical Research Centre in London

Francis Crick Institute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Home | The Francis Crick Institute

Old 10-09-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
What are you prattling on about Manchester for, it's not the best University even in England, as for Endowments,
We're comparing Manchester with San Francisco. Oxbridge are nowhere near Manchester. Is there some other university in Manchester you wish to "prattle on about" or do you need a British geography lesson?
Quote:
Manchester is a decent University, with 25 Nobel Prizes in a city, which is on a level similar to some Ivy League Universities, so I am not sure what point you are trying to make.
Manchester isn't comparable to any Ivy League university. Even Oxbridge isn't really comparable these days.
Quote:
If you want to compare Stanford than I suggest you do it with a comparable institution such as Oxbridge or London, which is a global knowledge hub.
Except no one claimed that SF was comparable to London. Why would we do this when there's no disagreement?

Old 10-09-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
We're comparing Manchester with San Francisco. Oxbridge are nowhere near Manchester. Is there some other university in Manchester you wish to "prattle on about" or do you need a British geography lesson?
No we are not, the thead is about comparing the UK with California, the only reason Manchester was mentioned was because some poster said some fairly negative things that were patentlly untrue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101
Manchester isn't comparable to any Ivy League university. Even Oxbridge isn't really comparable these days.
Oxford and Cambridge are two of the finest Universities in the World and are comparable with the best Universities in the World, whilst Manchester is a city with a good University and which has a long history of scientific discovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA 101
Except no one claimed that SF was comparable to London. Why would we do this when there's no disagreement?
It's you who is making the grandiose claims that British Universities are far inferior, and not I. I think Britain has some of the best Universities in the world and they reguarly rank highly in relation to international comparison.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-09-2016 at 02:03 PM..

Old 10-09-2016, 03:42 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
No we are not, the thead is about comparing the UK with California, the only reason Manchester was mentioned was because some poster said some fairly negative things that were patentlly untrue.

Oxford and Cambridge are two of the finest Universities in the World and are comparable with the best Universities in the World, whilst Manchester is a city with a good University and which has a long history of scientific discovery.

It's you who is making the grandiose claims that British Universities are far inferior, and not I. I think Britain has some of the best Universities in the world and they reguarly rank highly in relation to international comparison.
I think we have a misunderstanding here. On the first page I think a few people mentioned how California has at least two global cities (if you exclude San Diego which is becoming harder each day with all the biotech research and funds for UCSD) and the UK only had one true global city. Then it was questioned what San Francisco (California's second city) had that made it more global than Manchester (arguably the UK's second city). A plethora of points were made including the fact that Berkeley and Stanford (two universities in the San Francisco area) were far more renowned and global than any university around Manchester helping San Francisco be considered more global. That is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World