Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 01:38 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,225,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Best: Italy

Worst: U.S.A and no one comes close

I've seen people shopping in their fluffy bedroom slippers and P.J.s and this is in progressive CA. There is no shame. There is no self respect.
I have to agree, as an American. I think the suburban car culture that dominates 95% of the country contributes to this. I saw the same thing when I lived in suburban South Jersey. People deadass just roll out of bed and go to the store in their pajamas. When you live your whole life at home and in your car, no one is going to see you so it doesn’t matter what you look like. People only have to be outside for a few moments while walking through the parking lot to/from the car so many people don’t dress for the weather or put any effort into their appearance — or even don’t get dressed at all.

And when it does come to shopping, the same old chain stores dominate the suburban areas, which leads to lack of originality. In middle class suburbs it seems dying shopping malls and stores where you shop for clothes with a shopping cart seem to be the main shopping options, along with stores like Target and Walmart too. Buying clothes online with Amazon seems to be a growing trend now. I like to try stuff on first though.

One more thing is that in most of America, fashion is associated with femininity. It’s considered unmasculine for a male to dress well or have an interest in fashion. Because it’s not like men need to wear clothes or anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 01:58 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,360,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I have to agree, as an American. I think the suburban car culture that dominates 95% of the country contributes to this. I saw the same thing when I lived in suburban South Jersey. People deadass just roll out of bed and go to the store in their pajamas. When you live your whole life at home and in your car, no one is going to see you so it doesn’t matter what you look like. People only have to be outside for a few moments while walking through the parking lot to/from the car so many people don’t dress for the weather or put any effort into their appearance — or even don’t get dressed at all.

And when it does come to shopping, the same old chain stores dominate the suburban areas, which leads to lack of originality. In middle class suburbs it seems dying shopping malls and stores where you shop for clothes with a shopping cart seem to be the main shopping options, along with stores like Target and Walmart too. Buying clothes online with Amazon seems to be a growing trend now. I like to try stuff on first though.

One more thing is that in most of America, fashion is associated with femininity. It’s considered unmasculine for a male to dress well or have an interest in fashion. Because it’s not like men need to wear clothes or anything
This. Fragile white masculinity in American obsesses over treating European men as "less than" because they wear clothes that look nice and fit them well. Fitted/skinny jeans, fitted suits, nice hair, good cologne, etc. That's seen as "gay" to the typical middle American straight man. OTOH, in more cosmopolitan cities, men aren't afraid to embrace actual stylish clothes. American flag T shirts tucked into your jorts with white New Balances and white tube socks is a dead giveaway as a middle-American tourist.

One thing, though, that bothers me about a lot of American fashion for men is the obsession with dressier shoes for literally every occasion. Dressier shoes to work or a nice dinner out or to a fancy bar/club is fine, but in your own free time or going to lunch with your friends or shopping or whatever, why do guys insist on that? There have been a lot of people on here saying Italian, Spanish, French, etc. are best dressed. I agree. But they regularly wear more comfortable non-dress shoes. They could be regular sneakers or just more casual name brand shoes, but that's a common thing. Doesn't seem as common in the US for guys to properly dress down their shoe game.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:11 PM

10,120 posts, read 14,998,841 times
This is changing in the major cities. Plenty of men put some effort to wearing nice clothes and wear good creams and colognes. Some guys go over the top and they are considered metrosexual, which is a straight guy that worries to much on clothes, their hair, etc. In the suburbs it could be different.

In Dominican Republic the American influence is slowly creeping in, but most people still dress nice to even go to the supermarket. Even the poor make an effort to look good. It has to be seen to be believed. Lol

In Puerto Rico is more like the USA.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:20 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,714,636 times
I havent been to too many nations so can only speak from my limited view but the rumors is true, Paris fashion is at a different level all together. Tokyo gave me similar feeling especially Ginza district. Istanbul gave bit more colorful, fun but up there in style vibe.

USA, UK and most of the Caribbean island (ok mostly resort full of American) is my definition of sloppy look. Just dont care. But worst than the American and British are the German style that is somewhere in between relax n formal (has not made up their mind)

Old 04-03-2019, 06:45 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,451,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
My town is ground zero for the shabby clothing crowd, old music concert tees, sweats, PJ's, logger ensembles, and dirty tennis shoes, or shower flip flops. Went to the local Hilton, saw a guy with full on logging gear as his evening wear choice, it seems that no one noticed, as he was only slightly worse dressed than the rest of the crowd. He was leaving a dirt trail as he walked, falling from the boots and lower leg regions, he left us a visual reminder of just how muddy the NW woods can be.

Big cities, anywhere, are usually the domain of the well dressed, but here on the west coast of Murica the so called "casual" look has given way to a downright slobbish sartorial norm. And the physical forms of these crusty slobs usually match the "I don't care" attitude shown in their clothing choices. I'm not the type who dresses up for any occasion, but, I do know the difference between dressing for a sports event and attending a wedding, funeral, or dinner at a nice restaurant.
Are you saying the guy was dressed like this? That's how loggers dress these days.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:50 PM

10,120 posts, read 14,998,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I havent been to too many nations so can only speak from my limited view but the rumors is true, Paris fashion is at a different level all together. Tokyo gave me similar feeling especially Ginza district. Istanbul gave bit more colorful, fun but up there in style vibe.

USA, UK and most of the Caribbean island (ok mostly resort full of American) is my definition of sloppy look. Just dont care. But worst than the American and British are the German style that is somewhere in between relax n formal (has not made up their mind)
Resorts full of American and tourist areas (which of some islands is everywhere) don´t count. People are different in those areas.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:11 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,886,096 times
Worst dress are Chinese international tourists. For some reason, Chinese in their country dress OK but dress horrendously when traveling abroad.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:18 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,384,442 times
It depends more on the cities, some french cities people go out with the same clothes they use to spend a lazy sunday at home.
Italians are over the top, i've seen people playing soccer wearing skinny jeans and shoes.
I care more about how people look

Old 04-04-2019, 01:59 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,082,984 times
best dressed - Tibet
worst dressed - Canada, specifically the Waterfront Neighborhood in Thunder Bay, Ontario https://lonesomeheroes.files.wordpre.../04/gumby1.jpg

Old 04-04-2019, 02:07 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,312,333 times
I have to join those who think Italians are the best dressed. This is aided by the way so many are thin and can wear their clothes well. However the Japanese are also very well dressed at least overseas (I have not been to Japan)

It seems the Anglo countries take the cake for worst dressed. Here people dress in a functional way. In our state almost all school kids, right up to the end of high school, wear school uniforms. Then many go on to wear a work uniform, often black, which could be a black tshirt to deliver pizza or a black or dark suit to work in finance and law. I think our business dress is more formal than that of the US. But style is not much of a priority. Thank goodness I rarely see anyone out in night gear but I read of a school in the UK having to ban parents hanging out at the school gate dressed like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World