U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 01:20 AM

3,334 posts, read 3,567,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
As an American person who has lived in US, Europe, South America and Asia, I can't think of anywhere that this is appealing. I realize that American women like that, but outside of the U.S., it isn't really that prevalent. Mostly because American is a 'specialized' country where people get into things to severe lengths - i.e. you'll have a culture for everything. Secondly, because the obesity levels are so incredibly high, that weight-lifters counter that, and are an alternative to obesity. The non-obese in the U.S. would be teased as rails or sticks....they are so uncommonly seen. So therefore Americans get into this dichotomy of being either in the obese/fat/out-of-shape category or the 'in shape' categories.

This is significantly different than most of the rest of the world where obesity isn't the norm. (That being said, it is increasing in many places).

If I were to think of a place, maybe Austria, and only because of Schwarzenegger...but even he hightailed it to California well-knowing that was the place for a guy like him.

I have a feeling that maybe parts of Europe..maybe Germany or the UK, perhaps? Maybe parts of Eastern Europe? Maybe? But not so sure.

But, most of the rest of world, particularly Asia (where it is a major detractor and turn-off), its not that common.
You mentioned obesity. The obesity stats show a very high, continuously increasing obesity rate that is near equal among men and women, slightly higher among men. My personal observations are that more women are obese. What I think is happening is that muscular men score as obese on BMI charts. If someone from 40-50 years ago visited today's USA they would be shocked at how big people have become. They would notice women are obese and men are very muscular. They might not know that much of it is steroid induced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World