Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 05:42 AM

3 posts, read 1,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I'm not 100%, but I think Toronto and Melbourne are the only such places.
I agree with you! As per my experience, Toronto is the most livable city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 05:55 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaychelBackland View Post
I agree with you! As per my experience, Toronto is the most livable city.
yeah, if you don't mind 2 months of winter PLUS 3 months of "Canadian winter".

Old 10-25-2017, 11:38 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

But it really doesn't matter to real people. Large cities are where jobs, opportunities, culture and excitement lie. I will pick London or Paris any day over Geneva or Helsinki. Calgary, are they kidding? It is so out of touch.

Exactly....

Old 10-25-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Toronto is not that expensive. My 60 sq m condo cost Us$240k; my friend's 80sq m one cost $320k including parking, both in downtown. Is that unaffordable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Vancouver as well. It's more expensive than Toronto I believe.
My friends sold in August their North Vancouver condo for $630.000.....1160 sq/ft with underground parking.
44 years old, second floor, no view, no granite slabs on kitchen or bathrooms, no air conditioning...nothing fancy.

I do not know Toronto, but that is insanity for a city like Vancouver...and it has been bough by first time buyers with a mortgage....I truly feel sorry for these people if they have no options elsewhere....my friends are literally laughing all the way to the bank (in Spain)..they felt sorry for these people as well....

Old 10-25-2017, 12:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
My friends sold in August their North Vancouver condo for $630.000.....1160 sq/ft with underground parking.
44 years old, second floor, no view, no granite slabs on kitchen or bathrooms, no air conditioning...nothing fancy.

I do not know Toronto, but that is insanity for a city like Vancouver...and it has been bough by first time buyers with a mortgage....I truly feel sorry for these people if they have no options elsewhere....my friends are literally laughing all the way to the bank (in Spain)..they felt sorry for these people as well....
They do have options. The burbs are less expensive. Trouble is, a lot of young new homebuyers want to be in the centre. My nephews have bought, but out in Langley.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:24 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Auckland isn't cheap either -average house price is 4.5X that of the cheapest region.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
They do have options. The burbs are less expensive. Trouble is, a lot of young new homebuyers want to be in the centre. My nephews have bought, but out in Langley.
I'm talking about elsewhere outside of Vancouver metro, in another city and with possibly better weather...and North Vancouver (north of Highway 1) is not exactly downtown anyway....

Old 10-25-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about elsewhere outside of Vancouver metro, in another city and with possibly better weather...and North Vancouver (north of Highway 1) is not exactly downtown anyway....
The North Shore has always been more expensive than Langley for example. People in Vancouver really don't think of the North Shore as the burbs anyway. Richmond, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody ( which now has the Evergreen line ), Maple Ridge , Surrey, Delta,White Rock and Langley are what people think of when they think of the burbs.

It's quicker to get from the North Shore to downtown than it is to get to Langley.

As for options outside of Vancouver....there are plenty. As long as you can take your work with you, or have a job elsewhere.

I've know people to move to the Island, the Gulf Islands and places in the Okanagan. Weather is subjective. I know my family that lives in Vernon love the colder winters, and revel in the hotter summer. Me, I prefer a coastal climate.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
As long as you can take your work with you, or have a job elsewhere.
That is a big if....and if you have family ties it adds another layer of difficulty.

Another good friend of mine lives in West Van, nice house, view, the works....he has done very well for himself and he could comfortably move anywhere he wanted to (and he would love to, especially Europe or the southern coastal areas of the US).
He is an immigrant like me and until few years ago had no family ties with Vancouver but his kids eventually settled down (work and marriages), the arrival of the first grandchild (another currently on the way) changed his plans....his current idea is to be a US bound snowbird and not being too far away from his children and grandchildren....he told me "I waited too long to move again".

My North Vancouver friends instead had no kids, no family in Van, no debt/mortgage and job offers elsewhere if they wanted to....it was an easy decision for them.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
That is a big if....and if you have family ties it adds another layer of difficulty.

Another good friend of mine lives in West Van, nice house, view, the works....he has done very well for himself and he could comfortably move anywhere he wanted to (and he would love to, especially Europe or the southern coastal areas of the US).
He is an immigrant like me and until few years ago had no family ties with Vancouver but his kids eventually settled down (work and marriages), the arrival of the first grandchild (another currently on the way) changed his plans....his current idea is to be a US bound snowbird and not being too far away from his children and grandchildren....he told me "I waited too long to move again".
Of course it's a big if. It's a big if no matter where in the world you live.

His regrets are weather issues? Why did he wait? Let me guess, life was good where he was. Now he's older and want some sun. Hardly a condemnation of life in Canada, or Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World