U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2017, 05:39 PM
 
1,820 posts, read 578,974 times
Reputation: 1063

Advertisements

Weve already had threads about switching places between countries. Many cities have been known by different names throughout history and change often came for political reasons. What cities would like to see revert back to their old name? This is entirely non political, so the cities Im going to list are just there because I like the sound of their old name better.

Istanbul - Constantinople
Mexico City - Tenochtitlan
Belgrade - Singidunum
Ho Chi Minh City - Saigon
Cobh - Queenstown (the famous last port of call of the Titanic)
Mumbai - Bombay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2017, 05:41 PM
 
Location: So Paulo, Brazil
1,452 posts, read 1,570,559 times
Reputation: 973
So Paulo - Piratininga
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Paris, le-de-France, France / Terre Haute, IN
2,565 posts, read 1,772,198 times
Reputation: 683
Seoul = Wirye → Namgyeong → Hanyang → Keijo(Japanese pronunciation)/Gyeongseong
Paris = Lutetia
Tokyo = Edo
London = Londinium
Jeju = Tamra
Kyoto = Saikyo
Nantes = Portus Namnetum
New York = New Amsterdam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 06:02 PM
 
1,820 posts, read 578,974 times
Reputation: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
Seoul = Wirye → Namgyeong → Hanyang → Keijo(Japanese pronunciation)/Gyeongseong
Paris = Lutetia
Tokyo = Edo
London = Londinium
Jeju = Tamra
Kyoto = Saikyo
Nantes = Portus Namnetum
New York = New Amsterdam
I really like the names of Paris, London and Kyoto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
4,621 posts, read 2,882,632 times
Reputation: 13959
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
Seoul = Wirye → Namgyeong → Hanyang → Keijo(Japanese pronunciation)/Gyeongseong
I prefer the name Seoul, though I must admit that "Hanyang" has a nice ring to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 07:48 PM
 
2,290 posts, read 1,530,441 times
Reputation: 3842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Weve already had threads about switching places between countries. Many cities have been known by different names throughout history and change often came for political reasons. What cities would like to see revert back to their old name? This is entirely non political, so the cities Im going to list are just there because I like the sound of their old name better.

Istanbul - Constantinople
Mexico City - Tenochtitlan
Belgrade - Singidunum
Ho Chi Minh City - Saigon
Cobh - Queenstown (the famous last port of call of the Titanic)
Mumbai - Bombay
I like the way the name Constantinople sounds. It has a very poetic sound to it, in my opinion, that is. The only drawback I can see, is, it's such a mighty long word. It has 14 letters. John Prine said it has 3 more letters than the word "mockingbird". Just imagine how annoying it would be if you had to fill about 15 forms and you had to give your address and city, and you write out the words "Constantinople, Turkey" on each form. I bet you'd be wishing Constantinople was still named Istanbul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 08:50 PM
 
1,820 posts, read 578,974 times
Reputation: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I like the way the name Constantinople sounds. It has a very poetic sound to it, in my opinion, that is. The only drawback I can see, is, it's such a mighty long word. It has 14 letters. John Prine said it has 3 more letters than the word "mockingbird". Just imagine how annoying it would be if you had to fill about 15 forms and you had to give your address and city, and you write out the words "Constantinople, Turkey" on each form. I bet you'd be wishing Constantinople was still named Istanbul.
Well we could always go back further and name it Byzantium. The worst would be going by Bangkok’s full name in Thai Krung Thep Maha Nakhon and that’s just the first part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 09:25 PM
 
Location: 59N
4,943 posts, read 5,327,637 times
Reputation: 3744
Oslo = Kristiania
Bergen = Bjrgvin

Last edited by cmptrwlt; 11-06-2017 at 09:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 09:40 PM
 
125 posts, read 51,255 times
Reputation: 49
Jakarta = Djakarta = Batavia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 11:34 PM
 
Location: NYntarctica
11,149 posts, read 5,389,046 times
Reputation: 4043
Non-political list, based on how good they sound

Istanbul - Constantinople (very beautiful name, shame they changed it)
Mexico City - Tenochtitlan
Ho Chi Mihn City - Saigon
Sevilla - Isbiliya
Merida - Ichkanziho
Volgograd - Caricyn
Trabzon - Trapezounta
Madrid - Ursaria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top