Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 03:39 PM
psv

55 posts, read 36,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In the United States, schoolchildren are taught that this country is a land of opportunity in which you strive your best to make your own destiny.

Are schoolchildren in western Europe taught they can do whatever they want or even coast through life, and the government will take care of them?
Notice how the manthra of the nation of opportunity and blah blah works mostly with status seeking immigrants from Asia or first generation Americans from really impoverished backgrounds.

The longer people stay generationally in the US, the least educated, less goal achieving they become!!

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-t...-among-asians/

Look at Asians in America.... they have the largest inequality gap of any group in the US.... the report claims that the surge in wealth amongst Asian Americans is linked to mass migration of middle class East Asians from China, Korea into the US.

On the other hand the Asians falling behind in poverty are more established older generation Americans, with 3rd, 4th, even 5th generational links to the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 05:15 PM

103 posts, read 92,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Notice how the manthra of the nation of opportunity and blah blah works mostly with status seeking immigrants from Asia or first generation Americans from really impoverished backgrounds.

The longer people stay generationally in the US, the least educated, less goal achieving they become!!

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-t...-among-asians/

Look at Asians in America.... they have the largest inequality gap of any group in the US.... the report claims that the surge in wealth amongst Asian Americans is linked to mass migration of middle class East Asians from China, Korea into the US.

On the other hand the Asians falling behind in poverty are more established older generation Americans, with 3rd, 4th, even 5th generational links to the US.
This is a very interesting observation. Do you think that the successful migrants then have children who don't care? it seems like in America the private schools are actually more relaxed unlike in 3rd world countries where they are much more serious since they are the elite of the nation.

Old 07-17-2021, 06:11 PM
psv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernell111 View Post
This is a very interesting observation. Do you think that the successful migrants then have children who don't care? it seems like in America the private schools are actually more relaxed unlike in 3rd world countries where they are much more serious since they are the elite of the nation.
I think immigrants to the US often get there because the US is idealized in their eyes. Hollywood for decades has served as a tool that idealizes living in the US.

So those who become influenced by the Hollywood machine often end up moving to the US.

However as generations pass the drive of the old immigrants die out..... Their American descendants no longer share that idealization because they LIVE in the US so they see it without the lens of idealization.

As the generations keep going, that drive dies out and their descendants pretty much become part of the greater American average.

That probably explains why Asians in the US thrive in the first or second generation, but by the third generation their success takes a dive and often end up in the working class alongside other Americans of other origins.

With Mexicans is different, since Mexico is right next to the US.... the Mexicans that get to the US are literally the bottom of the barrel socioeconomically speaking.... the upper class Mexicans are less prone to go to the US because they are more exposed to it so there is less idealization..... That is unlike East Asian up and coming middle classes who live on the other side of the planet and are separated from the US by a giant ocean and by an enormous civilization gap!!

Old 07-17-2021, 08:03 PM

103 posts, read 92,470 times
Quote:
I think immigrants to the US often get there because the US is idealized in their eyes. Hollywood for decades has served as a tool that idealizes living in the US.

So those who become influenced by the Hollywood machine often end up moving to the US.

However as generations pass the drive of the old immigrants die out..... Their American descendants no longer share that idealization because they LIVE in the US so they see it without the lens of idealization.

As the generations keep going, that drive dies out and their descendants pretty much become part of the greater American average.

That probably explains why Asians in the US thrive in the first or second generation, but by the third generation their success takes a dive and often end up in the working class alongside other Americans of other origins.

With Mexicans is different, since Mexico is right next to the US.... the Mexicans that get to the US are literally the bottom of the barrel socioeconomically speaking.... the upper class Mexicans are less prone to go to the US because they are more exposed to it so there is less idealization..... That is unlike East Asian up and coming middle classes who live on the other side of the planet and are separated from the US by a giant ocean and by an enormous civilization gap!!
Great comments, do you think that with Mexicans. What I have seen is that:
1-First Generation: Working class.
2-Second Generation: Middle class.
3- Third Generation: Move back to Mexico and become upper-middle/upper class there.

I met a Mexican American and he actually chooses to live in Mexico and have a huge house there over the US which is a work-work culture. I don't think he is the only one. Also I am not saying that its a 1 on 1 relationship, rather it seems that something like that happens.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:03 AM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
This is a very interesting observation. Do you think that the successful migrants then have children who don't care?
There is an old proverb that says: “The first generation makes the money. The second generation spends the money. The third generation sees none of the wealth.”

My theory is that parents who have very high IQs tend to have children with somewhat lower IQs, who in turn have children with even lower IQs. It is a phenomenon called regression to the mean.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:24 AM
psv

Quote:
Great comments, do you think that with Mexicans. What I have seen is that:
1-First Generation: Working class.
2-Second Generation: Middle class.
3- Third Generation: Move back to Mexico and become upper-middle/upper class there.

I met a Mexican American and he actually chooses to live in Mexico and have a huge house there over the US which is a work-work culture. I don't think he is the only one. Also I am not saying that its a 1 on 1 relationship, rather it seems that something like that happens.
oh Mexico is AWESOME!! Why would a well off Mexican or a middle class Mexican go to the US for!!!

The US can be pretty mediocre!!!

Mexico blows the US off the water in many aspects outside of the job opportunities!!

Mexico is so badly underrated is almost criminal!!

IF I WERE A WEALTHY OR A MIDDLE CLASS MEXICAN, I WOULD NOT GO TO THE US AT ALL!!!

what does the US offer that Mexico doesn't to those who can afford it??? NOTHING!!!!

Last edited by psv; 07-18-2021 at 10:34 AM..

Old 07-18-2021, 10:26 PM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
IF I WERE A WEALTHY OR A MIDDLE CLASS MEXICAN, I WOULD NOT GO TO THE US AT ALL!!!

what does the US offer that Mexico doesn't to those who can afford it??? NOTHING!!!!
This can be said about most countries in the world. Rich people anywhere rarely emigrate from their country voluntarily.

Interestingly though, the migrants from Central American countries don’t stop in Mexico but continue on to the United States border. They would rather live in the United States even though most of them don’t even speak the language of the country.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:28 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This can be said about most countries in the world. Rich people anywhere rarely emigrate from their country voluntarily.

Interestingly though, the migrants from Central American countries don’t stop in Mexico but continue on to the United States border. They would rather live in the United States even though most of them don’t even speak the language of the country.

Canada, Australia and New Zealand have attracted a ton of wealthy immigrants from Asia.

It's not rare for rich Russians to immigrate to Western Europe.

The U.S, well, just prefers Latin American immigrants. It's not hard to understand since the U.S has a shortage of labor but no shortage of money.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:38 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,600 times
Quote:

According to Hollywood, gun violence and gang crimes are rampant in every major U.S cities. Living in NYC is the worst, this densely populated city has been destroyed a hundred time.

The small towns in the Midwest are more likely to be haunted, that's where horror movies are based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World