Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2021, 07:49 AM
 
103 posts, read 92,470 times
Reputation: 74

Advertisements

PS: I'm only learning, not trying to rub anyone the wrong way. Don't take my observations as criticism rather as observations

I'm not talking about race, ethnicity, history. Instead, I'm talking about the day to day life of the average person.

I saw some people online saying that life in East Asia was all about work, "go-go mentality." While in Europe it seems that people had more of an enjoyment of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2021, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Reputation: 9002
Probably a combination of both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2021, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
Reputation: 14576
Besides the USA I've lived in both Asia and Europe. I do think that much of Asia is definitely all about work, and Europeans do seem to enjoy life for the most part any ways. I do however find it difficult to compare the USA to these regions. The USA is so different is so many ways, it would be very difficult to find a similarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2021, 08:00 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Reputation: 25176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Besides the USA I've lived in both Asia and Europe. I do think that much of Asia is definitely all about work, and Europeans do seem to enjoy life for the most part any ways. I do however find it difficult to compare the USA to these regions. The USA is so different is so many ways, it would be very difficult to find a similarity.
I disagree. There are goal-oriented or materialistic people in Asian and European countries just as there are in the United States. The upper-middle classes of many countries are pretty similar. It is more about a difference in degree rather than a difference in kind.

So, I would say there are a lot of points of similarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2021, 05:55 AM
psv
 
55 posts, read 36,247 times
Reputation: 51
The US resembles East Asia in the work work part a lot.

A lot of Americans like to assume themselves as similar or akin to Europeans but after living in Europe and now in the US, the Us is hardly anything like Europe.

Some aspects of the US might resemble uptight overruled Germanic areas of Europe but only to a limit. Even in Germanic countries in Europe people want holidays, healthcare etc.

I do not think the US is similar to Europe nor to Asia overall, the US is clearly its own thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2021, 04:15 PM
 
Location: East Bay, San Francisco Bay Area
23,552 posts, read 24,057,818 times
Reputation: 23987
I’ve travelled to many cities in Europe and Asia, for both business and vacation.

The US, Asia and Europe are all quite different. Lifestyles, cultures, norms and attitudes
are all different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2021, 07:24 AM
 
103 posts, read 92,470 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I’ve travelled to many cities in Europe and Asia, for both business and vacation.

The US, Asia and Europe are all quite different. Lifestyles, cultures, norms and attitudes
are all different.
Thanks for the answer could you expand a bit more. All I know is the US and East Asia are "live for work" culture while Europe is "work to live." It seems to me to that Europe seems to be more urban and "lively" like people getting too excited about their soccer team. To me it seems in the US most of the thing that are allowed in Europe would be shut down fast by the cops. In East Asia you have more Urban cities but it seems that most people are overworked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2021, 08:11 AM
psv
 
55 posts, read 36,247 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernell111 View Post
Thanks for the answer could you expand a bit more. All I know is the US and East Asia are "live for work" culture while Europe is "work to live." It seems to me to that Europe seems to be more urban and "lively" like people getting too excited about their soccer team. To me it seems in the US most of the thing that are allowed in Europe would be shut down fast by the cops. In East Asia you have more Urban cities but it seems that most people are overworked.
Americans are similar to EAST Asians (Not south east Asians though), in the sense Americans care too much about money.

Americans work and work and work and work and work and live their lives around the concept of being alumnis of X university and having worked doing Y job.

East Asians are like that.... I find that aspect in societies unbearable!

Europeans could not care less about being a graduate of X university or doing Y job. In Europe wealth has existed for far longer than East Asia (East Asia is new money) two generations ago most East Asians were miserably poor. Western Europeans have had money for centuries now.

I find the way Europeans interact and the emphasis on holiday, family, social life, etc. much more similar to Latin Americans and how they see the world.

Americans are also pretty new money like East Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2021, 09:02 AM
 
14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Reputation: 39197
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Europeans could not care less about being a graduate of X university or doing Y job. In Europe wealth has existed for far longer than East Asia (East Asia is new money) two generations ago most East Asians were miserably poor. Western Europeans have had money for centuries now.
Based on my experiences with my German brother and sister-in-law, who both are university graduates and have jobs (actually, brother-in-law is between jobs and quite worried about it), and their two children, who are now college-aged and planning their careers, this isn't true at all. Those things are very, very important and objects of white-hot focus for them, at least.

Anyway, how does people in a region "having had money" centuries ago have any connection with the need for people in that region to get an education and earn money today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2021, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Canada
7,363 posts, read 8,411,716 times
Reputation: 5260
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Based on my experiences with my German brother and sister-in-law, who both are university graduates and have jobs (actually, brother-in-law is between jobs and quite worried about it), and their two children, who are now college-aged and planning their careers, this isn't true at all. Those things are very, very important and objects of white-hot focus for them, at least.

Anyway, how does people in a region "having had money" centuries ago have any connection with the need for people in that region to get an education and earn money today?
Very little of what our Colombian freind irene says makes any sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top