Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 05:09 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
The reason that people from other nations are fascinated by us and our culture is because we have a confidence of who we are that doesn't exist to this degree anywhere else.
We do not follow anyone. We lead.
No, it doesn't mean they aren't confident. they were just focused on other stuff.

yes, pop culture has spread everywhere, even to students in uniforms. THAT being said, their are good things about their culture which still come through in their own way culturally as they integrate it. it doesn't mean they are like americans. that's a good thing just as americans adopt some things from other cultures. though pop culture is fun, other cultures need to remain aware of priorities and their own good values.

YouTube - Korean Sexy girls

Last edited by leaana; 05-16-2009 at 05:50 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 02:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
The other thing -- some of what people think of as "American culture" isn't necessarily or only American. Rock music for example. Much of that was from England or back and forth between England and the USA.

A lot of it is just modern culture. Men wear suits and ties throughout the world for the same reasons American businessmen wear them. Not necessarily because Americans wear them but because it's standard attire for business conventions.

Girls dress and dance sexy because they want to be modern, a lot of fashion comes out of Europe and influences Americans. A lot of popular bands and celebrities are from Australia. American music influences Australian music and Australian music influences American music. Jamaican music influences the world, the Beatles went to India and came back with sitar sounds. Food is more and more international, Americans eat sushi and don't think twice about it.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The other thing -- some of what people think of as "American culture" isn't necessarily or only American. Rock music for example. Much of that was from England or back and forth between England and the USA.

A lot of it is just modern culture. Men wear suits and ties throughout the world for the same reasons American businessmen wear them. Not necessarily because Americans wear them but because it's standard attire for business conventions.

Girls dress and dance sexy because they want to be modern, a lot of fashion comes out of Europe and influences Americans. A lot of popular bands and celebrities are from Australia. American music influences Australian music and Australian music influences American music. Jamaican music influences the world, the Beatles went to India and came back with sitar sounds. Food is more and more international, Americans eat sushi and don't think twice about it.
also, american music has been inspired and influenced by african-americans. current pop culture wouldn't exist as it is today without it. there are a lot of elements at play.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:06 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,540,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
also, american music has been inspired and influenced by african-americans. current pop culture wouldn't exist as it is today without it. there are a lot of elements at play.
So, you're saying that Americans inspired American music??

Old 05-17-2009, 04:37 PM

492 posts, read 962,352 times
American culture is...

July 4th in the park with fireworks
Friday night lights
Bourbon St on Fat Tuesday
Superbowl
College World Series
The Grand Canyon
Branson
The Hubble Telescope
The Rose Bowl Parade
Saturday Night Live
Renaisance Festivals
Art shows in the park
Wine tasting festivals
The Arch in St. Louis
Las Vegas
Success
Failure

add yours here.....

Old 05-17-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
So, you're saying that Americans inspired American music??
no, what i'm saying is there are different ethnicities in america which can be very different from eachother and have influenced the music. like how native americans influenced cajun cuisine etc.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:55 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Ask the Beatles who or what influenced them and they would name American artists.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:40 AM

24 posts, read 87,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Why are some Europeans so fascinated with American culture?

Most europeans don't. Almost everyone I know thinks americans are (very) stupid...
I love the USA though, but I sometimes feel like I'm the only european who does!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portuguese_girl View Post
Most europeans don't. Almost everyone I know thinks americans are (very) stupid...
I love the USA though, but I sometimes feel like I'm the only european who does!
i think americans are confused about what others actually are fascinated by. i think it's just hollywood but that's just a segment of culture. they are not interested in anything else at least from what i could see. not only that when they incorporate it, it's very idealistic. it's very flattering since they make it shinier than it really was and elevate it.

then, there is all the different fashion icons in the world which are not american. i've noticed other countries are not narrow about their cultural interests and seem to be open to a breadth of them. americans seem only interested in american culture and not even european. there is like a total disconnect. they may buy physical items but nothing culturally is picked up.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:45 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,091,373 times
Maybe some younger people around the world are influenced by American pop culture and I think in Japan that is particularly true. But as I traveled around the world and in the company of nationals from other countries, I found a general disdain for the junk that America spreads around the world. McDonald's is sadly replacing Mom and Pop tea shops in Britain, the Germans dissed Wal-mart, and I think Americans are considered naive and unsophisticated. Hollywood is bound to have its influence but that can't be an equal to centuries of culture in other places. Americans shouldn't be too full of themselves. And I am an American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World