Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 08:46 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,175,839 times

Advertisements

Like most, I insert a glottal stop in words such as didn't or wasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 08:55 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,162,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
I'm curious. I'm an amateur screenwriter that is always noticing trends, and usually turned off by most of them. Lately I'm hearing a lot of people (many younger) pronouncing things different. I need to know if I have been saying the words wrong for 37 years, or what's going on.
Here is a couple, and please add some of your own if any come to mind. If I'm wrong in how I pronounce it please tell me.

Refinancing- I say it as it's spelled
REFA-NANCING- How I hear it in commercials lately.

Didn't- Hard to type how I say it but there's a bit of nasal use.
DID-DENT- How most young people are now saying it.
Same with Wouldn't, Couldn't, Shouldn't.

Louisville- Louieville is how I say it.
LOW-VOL- How millions say it, but I have no clue HOW they got it that far off.

So clear me up on this.
The American pronunciation of words in the English language is generally agreed upon, however, when it comes to proper names, pretty much "anything goes".

The one that really gets me is pronouncing "important" as "impor-Dant". Of course, it really annoys me when people (predominantly younger females) acquire the manner of affected speech that could best be described as "faux upscale". Here is Rachel Cruze (Dave Ramsey's daughter), who is a good example of someone who has this phony speech pattern.

Rachel Cruze: Cross Point Church Interview - YouTube

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-25-2014, 09:58 AM

19,147 posts, read 25,375,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
it really annoys me when people (predominantly younger females) acquire the manner of affected speech that could best be described as "faux upscale". Here is Rachel Cruze (Dave Ramsey's daughter), who is a good example of someone who has this phony speech pattern.
I actually find the poorly-groomed interviewer's speech patterns to be more annoying than Rachel's.
"Uber-popular" ? (My nominee for most annoying word usage of the day)
"Like...totally" ? (Did he attend Valley Girl University?)

In addition to needing a comb & a mirror, that interviewer needs to improve his own speech patterns...IMHO.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:59 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,778,093 times
ree figh nance ing northern reefah nancing southern

Old 01-25-2014, 01:21 PM

558 posts, read 1,122,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
ree figh nance ing northern reefah nancing southern
That makes sense. The commercial (where the guy says refah-nancing) shows the company being from Florida so it makes sense.

And I can't even watch that video, those people are weird.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:39 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,702,843 times
People saying "pacific" when in fact they mean to say "specific."

Old 01-25-2014, 03:39 PM

155 posts, read 274,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Expecting to hear correct pronunciations from the younger set is only slightly less silly than expecting a dog to display good hygiene practices.

And, for the sake of your writing, please make yourself more familiar with proper use of adverbs. Instead of "different", you should have used the word "differently".

Different--differently. Prissy distinction.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,162,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrooks View Post
Different--differently. Prissy distinction.
I almost mentioned that, but I have been accused of being a member of the snarky grammar police on here far too many times. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-25-2014, 06:36 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,216,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks, I don't get this either. I say DID-int. I also sure as hell don't say "axe", lol.
Hmmm. Dint, axe, axed and words with ail being pronounced as if they were ell, i.e. tail=tell, pail=pell were very common many of the Sicilian-American kids I went to school with in the 40's & 50's.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:55 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,216,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
...The one that really gets me is pronouncing "important" as "impor-Dant". Of course, it really annoys me when people (predominantly younger females) acquire the manner of affected speech that could best be described as "faux upscale". Here is Rachel Cruze (Dave Ramsey's daughter), who is a good example of someone who has this phony speech pattern.
Because I have lived in Europe for more than a decade the English accents I am constantly hearing are those from the U.K.

I get snatches of U.S. English on the BBC news, and then a huge glut of it in the summer when the early twenties crowd of Americans vacations here. Thus, I hear much, much less American English than ever in my life, and what I notice all the time is the exact same sound that Ms. Cruze has in her voice - the unbelievably hideous front nasal quality of her speech. She has her tongue arched near the front of the roof of her mouth, forcing the air into her nasal cavity. It sounds like an endless traffic accident.

And it seems far more widespread among Americans (and especially women) than I remember it being when I lived in the U.S. It was very much the accent of the majority of people in the village where I grew up. I was mocked so much for it in college, that I made a point to try to get that tone out of my accent, which, of course, changes how vowels are pronounced.

Is this anywhere near what you are pointing out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing