Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2015, 01:27 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,361,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
"I have a bother who is really messed up on drugs and has gone downhill the past couple of months."

Siblings are a real bother, aren't they?
Maybe the person shouldn't bother with his/her bother/brother... it would be less bothersome... or would that be brothersome?

Old 09-05-2015, 02:33 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,917,721 times
A comment on the viral video of the two kittens being "catfished" out of the Warrior River in Alabama (they have a loving home and are doing fine now, btw, and the fishermen did not find any additional abandoned kittens when they re-checked the area):

"I believe a cat bares 4 children per pregnancy or something like that".

Funny, I've never noticed any nekkid kids around expectant mama cats...

Old 09-05-2015, 05:09 PM

7,124 posts, read 4,845,964 times
I went to an estate sale this morning. The kind where you go inside the house and wander rooms full of. "Stuff" for sale.

Big sign on the entrance door:

"IF YOU BARKE IT WE WILL BE SAD

BUT IF YOU BARKE IT YOU BOUGHT IT"

I thought it was odd, so I asked the elderly lady inside what it meant, although I was pretty sure. She told me it meant "If you break it....". I said, "Oh! But it says. Bark!" She said, "Well, I never was good in school..."

Old 09-05-2015, 05:22 PM

19,146 posts, read 25,371,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I went to an estate sale this morning. The kind where you go inside the house and wander rooms full of. "Stuff" for sale.

Big sign on the entrance door:

"IF YOU BARKE IT WE WILL BE SAD

BUT IF YOU BARKE IT YOU BOUGHT IT"

I thought it was odd, so I asked the elderly lady inside what it meant, although I was pretty sure. She told me it meant "If you break it....". I said, "Oh! But it says. Bark!" She said, "Well, I never was good in school..."
Although the internet makes poor grammar and bizarre spelling more visible than it was years ago, the reality is that there have always been people who were poor students.

Yes, I know that it is fashionable to claim that schools are not teaching what is needed nowadays, but--in fact--you could have found people from every generation who could not spell properly, and/or could not construct a complete sentence, and/or could not do basic math.

...just a thought to contemplate...

Old 09-05-2015, 05:24 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,446,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I don't know about the area where you folks live, but the current crop of extremely young newscasters in NYC can't pronounce Edinburgh properly, and--to a man (or woman)--they all pronounce it as Edin-Berg. (For those who might be puzzled, the correct pronunciation is Edin-Boro.

However, this geographic ignorance is--unfortunately--not really a new trend. For many years, the "dean" of the local newscasters at WCBS in NYC was Jim Jensen. When our forces invaded the island of Grenada during the Reagan administration, Jim told his viewers that our forces had invaded Granada. I can remember thinking...Why did Ronnie declare war on Spain?...until I saw the news in print and realized that we had actually invaded the Caribbean island with a similar spelling and a different pronunciation of its name.

And, just to continue the theme of newscaster bashing...Why do so many of them continue to show their phony smile while reporting a story that is tragic?
Just this morning, the young woman doing the local news on WCBS smiled through about 75% of a news story that she was reading, and that event about which she was reporting had resulted in multiple deaths! It was as if she finally realized the inappropriateness of that smile toward the very end of the piece, when her expression suddenly became...deadpan.

Do these talking heads read news stories without actually understanding what they are reading?

I will say that some confusion because there are cities in towns in the US named after "foreign" cities, but they are no longer pronounced the original way. Here in Illinois there is a San Jose (pronounced San Joze), an Athens (pronounced Aaythens, and a Cairo (pronounced Kayro, like the syrup).

Old 09-05-2015, 05:34 PM

7,124 posts, read 4,845,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Although the internet makes poor grammar and bizarre spelling more visible than it was years ago, the reality is that there have always been people who were poor students.

Yes, I know that it is fashionable to claim that schools are not teaching what is needed nowadays, but--in fact--you could have found people from every generation who could not spell properly, and/or could not construct a complete sentence, and/or could not do basic math.

...just a thought to contemplate...

You know, this is true. And also, this is south Louisiana. It's entirely possible that this woman never went beyond grade school. I've had customers in retail here who actually can't read or write their names. I had an old woman come into the store I worked at a few years ago and have me read the greeting cards to her, as she could not read.

It's kind of sad.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I had an old woman come into the store I worked at a few years ago and have me read the greeting cards to her, as she could not read.

It's kind of sad.
If she was a Great Depression kid.... there's a possibility she had to drop out of school. In some areas of the country the schools went broke and closed. Kids had no chance to learn to read and write. Many families were so flat-busted broke the kids had to drop out to help support the family.

It's very sad because most of them are/were quite ashamed of the fact they had so little education. A circumstance they could not control. They were victims of their times.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-05-2015 at 06:33 PM..

Old 09-06-2015, 12:26 AM

37,131 posts, read 41,338,442 times
Many people do not like change, but change is immutable ...

Old 09-06-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I will say that some confusion because there are cities in towns in the US named after "foreign" cities, but they are no longer pronounced the original way. Here in Illinois there is a San Jose (pronounced San Joze), an Athens (pronounced Aaythens, and a Cairo (pronounced Kayro, like the syrup).
In NYC, we have Houston Street, which is pronounced locally as "House-ton". In my town, there is a road named Jacques Lane, and the local tradition is to pronounce it as "Jakes" Lane. However, I was talking about names from world geography, with which I would hope that an adult would have some familiarity.

I can tell you that, as an elementary school kid, I knew the difference between Grenada and Granada, and I also knew how to properly pronounce Edinburgh. Yes, I was a geography and history nerd , but if I knew these things by the age of 11 or 12, shouldn't a college-educated adult whose livelihood depends on pronouncing words correctly have this knowledge? Isn't this part of the broad cultural knowledge that people should have if they are going to read news stories to us?

Old 09-06-2015, 06:08 AM

"There are allot of scams that are associated with that phraise."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.