Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 06:23 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who is driven crazy by otherwise educated people doing this on a regular basis? I just don't get it, it is basic English grammar that we should have learned in elementary school!

I cringe when I get emails from my manager at work, and she does this consistently in all of her emails, not to mention not being able to differentiate between "affect" and "effect". Here is a sample sentence from one of her group emails: "Professional nurse's should not be calling off this often, it effects everyone, not just you." This from a woman with a four year college degree!

I'm sorry if this has been addressed here before, I rarely visit this forum, but it just drives me crazy. I also see it consistently in news stories on the local news stations' websites, e.g. "Fifteen resident's had to be evacuated..."

I am beginning to wonder if this is so widespread that someone just changed the rules of pluralization and didn't tell anyone.

Last edited by canudigit; 08-08-2018 at 06:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 06:34 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
The Hells Angels MC writes their name without the use of an apostrophe. The Pagan's MC uses the apostrophe. But I don't think that differing punctuation is the main cause of contention between the two organizations.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:29 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Am I the only one who is driven crazy by otherwise educated people doing this on a regular basis? I just don't get it, it is basic English grammar that we should have learned in elementary school!

I cringe when I get emails from my manager at work, and she does this consistently in all of her emails, not to mention not being able to differentiate between "affect" and "effect". Here is a sample sentence from one of her group emails: "Professional nurse's should not be calling off this often, it effects everyone, not just you." This from a woman with a four year college degree!

I'm sorry if this has been addressed here before, I rarely visit this forum, but it just drives me crazy. I also see it consistently in news stories on the local news stations' websites, e.g. "Fifteen resident's had to be evacuated..."

I am beginning to wonder if this is so widespread that someone just changed the rules of pluralization and didn't tell anyone.

I agree.
However, I have finally learned, late in life, to ignore such foolishness.
Another thing that I find annoying is the apparent lack of caring enough to proofread the typing before hitting the "Post" button. All too many people obviously don't care how the rest of the world sees them.

As for the "woman with a four year college degree", that is just a point to prove my contention that the only difference between a BSN (Bachelor of Science Nurse) and an ADN (Associates Degree Nurse) is a few of what I call "feather courses" that have nothing to do with patient care. In fact, both of them take exactly the same test to qualify to put RN after their name! However, in many, if not most, organizations, only a BSN will be considered for a management position. Actually, this works great for those who know going in that they want nothing to do with "management". They get the ADN, take the NCLEX to become an ADRN, and go to work taking care of sick people. They can't be faulted for not trying for a "Promotion", because they are not qualified.
Sorry for the rant, but that line pushed one of my "Hot Buttons". I am married to an ADRN with about 30 years of experience as a Med/Surg Nurse, most of it as a traveler or float pool Nurse. I have seen first hand the difference in care between the BSN and the ADRN (None!) and the difference in observed attitude between the two (sometimes considerable). I would often much rather have an ADRN taking care of me!

Old 08-08-2018, 08:19 AM

21,121 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Theirs a righting forum four these thing’s.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/writing/

Specifically: http://www.city-data.com/forum/writi...g-plurals.html

Old 08-08-2018, 09:18 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

Wow! Four mistakes in a seven word sentence!
That had to be deliberate, a fine example of the problem!

Old 08-08-2018, 09:21 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Theirs a righting forum four these thing’s.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/writing/

Specifically: http://www.city-data.com/forum/writi...g-plurals.html
Thanks, I didn't realize that. I should have looked through all of the forums before I posted.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:48 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Thanks, I didn't realize that. I should have looked through all of the forums before I posted.
“I should of looked...”

There, I fixed it for you! (Just kidding!)

Old 08-08-2018, 12:11 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
I just correct people, but you have to have pretty thick skin if you are going to stick up for good language, I have found. People can get very defensive.

When they get all huffy and accuse me of being petty or a grammar Nazi, I tell then that consistent bad grammar, usage, spelling, etc. is rude and an affront to the reader.

Oddly enough, I have found that the younger generations, especially millennials and younger, are more accepting of criticism on grammar and spelling. Perhaps because they communicate by writing far more (and for more of their lives) than older generations. It seems that "text speech" outside of a few long-lived acronyms like 'lol', has really fallen out of use, at least on platforms I use.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:49 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:

There are instances in which pluralizing with an apostrophe is correct. But I guess some people go overboard with it, like some people always use "I" , even when "me" is correct.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-08-2018 at 02:06 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 03:23 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I just correct people, but you have to have pretty thick skin if you are going to stick up for good language, I have found. People can get very defensive.

When they get all huffy and accuse me of being petty or a grammar Nazi, I tell then that consistent bad grammar, usage, spelling, etc. is rude and an affront to the reader.

Oddly enough, I have found that the younger generations, especially millennials and younger, are more accepting of criticism on grammar and spelling. Perhaps because they communicate by writing far more (and for more of their lives) than older generations. It seems that "text speech" outside of a few long-lived acronyms like 'lol', has really fallen out of use, at least on platforms I use.
I have better things to do with my time then to correct anyone besides my children! Anyone who corrects someone else's grammar (unless you are a teacher in an English class) or their spelling, etc is just plain rude and quite petty IMHO!

I once had my daughters friend and her mother over. Only met the mother twice at that point. She asked me where I was from? I figured it was because she had moved recently from out of state and was making conversation. I said "I was born and raised in Chicago and lived there most of my life, why"? I was expecting her to say I had some sort of accent. Instead, she corrected a sentence I said previously and said it must be Chicago slang! I couldn't believe it and thought it was quite rude. I saw her one other time and she did the same! That was the last time I spoke to her!

Go ahead....correct me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing