Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 12:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
“I should of looked...”

There, I fixed it for you! (Just kidding!)
The “should of” usage makes me mad, for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 12:30 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Thread title: The Curse of the Kennedy's
I was tempted to fix it. Still am. I have the power to do so.

But, I might want to be obnoxious first and post "the Kennedy's WHAT?"

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-07-2019 at 12:57 PM..

Old 08-07-2019, 12:56 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,433,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The “should of” usage makes me mad, for some reason.
Angers me, too. The correct term is "should have."

Old 08-07-2019, 12:57 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was tempted to fix it. Still am. I have the power to do so.
As a mod, I know exactly how you feel. We can change titles. I am so tempted. In fact, I do change some title mistakes in Health&Wellness and I justify it because someone doing a search on that topic might not find it if it says "How Many Doctor's Take Vitamin's?"

Old 08-07-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As a mod, I know exactly how you feel. We can change titles. I am so tempted. In fact, I do change some title mistakes in Health&Wellness and I justify it because someone doing a search on that topic might not find it if it says "How Many Doctor's Take Vitamin's?"
I think there was a discussion about this on the PMF, and somebody said we are free to go ahead and do it even if it's not our assigned forum. I've fixed thread titles several times when I noticed it.

I just fixed this one rather than make a smart remark.

The whole apostrophe abuse phenomenon has gotten terrible in the past decade.

At least they didn't say "Kennedies".

Old 08-07-2019, 01:35 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think there was a discussion about this on the PMF, and somebody said we are free to go ahead and do it even if it's not our assigned forum. I've fixed thread titles several times when I noticed it.

I just fixed this one rather than make a smart remark.

The whole apostrophe abuse phenomenon has gotten terrible in the past decade.

At least they didn't say "Kennedies".
Not to belabor the subject, but doesn't it take extra effort to add an apostrophe? On my laptop I have to stop and add an apostrophe and on my phone, adding an apostrophe is kind of hard. Is there some sort of auto correct that automatically adds the apostrophe for them? Or are they so concerned about being "correct" that they stop and take the extra effort to add it. Mainly, what I mean is, do they actually think the apostrophe to form a plural is correct? And, if so, do they really care so much that they go to the effort to add the apostrophe? (Inquiring minds and all that...)

Old 08-07-2019, 02:28 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
I think a lot of mistakes like this begin in childhood and become habits. Once a word looks right through habitual use, even if it's mis-spelled, the correct spelling looks wrong for a long time.

I found this out in high school when I discovered I had been spelling Wednesday wrong all my life. I had always spelled it Wensday before, and no one had ever corrected me.

I discovered my mis-spelling myself, and when I did, I was sure it was a misprint. I had to go to a calendar and see the word again before I accepted I had been making the mistake from the first time I ever spelled the word.

I had to think about it for years afterward. It became a point to get the spelling right for me until habit took over and the spelling became habitual again. I also changed the way I say the word aloud, and I'm the only person I know who pronounces it correctly.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:41 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I think a lot of mistakes like this begin in childhood and become habits. Once a word looks right through habitual use, even if it's mis-spelled, the correct spelling looks wrong for a long time.

I found this out in high school when I discovered I had been spelling Wednesday wrong all my life.
I spelled high school as "highschool" until I was in grad school and a professor corrected my paper. (How embarrassing.)

It's harder to understand so much apostrophe misuse, though; the correct use of apostrophes seemed to have been drilled into so many of us in the elementary grades.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I spelled high school as "highschool" until I was in grad school and a professor corrected my paper. (How embarrassing.)

It's harder to understand so much apostrophe misuse, though; the correct use of apostrophes seemed to have been drilled into so many of us in the elementary grades.
Yes, that's what perplexes me, as well.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:25 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Not to belabor the subject, but doesn't it take extra effort to add an apostrophe? On my laptop I have to stop and add an apostrophe and on my phone, adding an apostrophe is kind of hard. Is there some sort of auto correct that automatically adds the apostrophe for them? Or are they so concerned about being "correct" that they stop and take the extra effort to add it. Mainly, what I mean is, do they actually think the apostrophe to form a plural is correct? And, if so, do they really care so much that they go to the effort to add the apostrophe? (Inquiring minds and all that...)
I'm lucky in that if I type 'it', my phone presents me with 3 options...it, it's, its.
Commas require the extra step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing