Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 02:33 PM

17 posts, read 49,337 times

Advertisements

The same goes for the Bighorn Basin, where I grew up.......Lovell, Cowley, Byron, etc., were all settled by "expansionist" Mormons who built an amazing irrigation system. They were my ancestors, of whom I am very proud, despite the fact that, as an adult I "saw the light" and am no longer involved with the religion. But, the fact is, the industriousness and hard work of my ancestors is what makes it a friendly and nice place to live.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:50 PM

5 posts, read 16,421 times
Piligamy is not practiced in the LDS church, anyone who practices it is excommunicated. The "LDS" piligamists are NOT members of our church, maybe you may want to check up on the LDSR and the LDSF, two completely different churches that want to attach onto the LDS church. The piligamists that you are talking about in the big horn basin (cowley, lovell, byron) are not members of the LDS church currently.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:21 PM

632 posts, read 1,517,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo10 View Post
Piligamy is not practiced in the LDS church, anyone who practices it is excommunicated. The "LDS" piligamists are NOT members of our church, maybe you may want to check up on the LDSR and the LDSF, two completely different churches that want to attach onto the LDS church. The piligamists that you are talking about in the big horn basin (cowley, lovell, byron) are not members of the LDS church currently.
Ahem - I have a college girlfriend who lives in Salt Lake City, who's husband is an elder in the official, LDS church there, and she is his 3rd wife. Now her hubby and all of the wives and children will all deny this publicly, and her hubby publicly denounces poligamy in speeches and officially says that any poligamists will be excommunicated. But the reality is much different. . . . . .And she indicates to me that she is the norm in SLC.

She shares this info with me because she genuinely believes in the practice, thinks her family is beautiful and healthy and knows I won't publicly expose her name.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:23 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo10 View Post
you may want to check up on things a little yourself-the rlds[not ldsr]never practiced polygamy even when the lds did and still dont.the flds[not ldsf] do practice polygamy and did split with the lds over the issue about 80 years ago but the group in the bighorn basin isnt part of that group either.there are dozens of lds offshoots some dating from joseph smiths assassination over who should succeed him to other groups who have split over other issues.the rlds[community of christ] still have about 250,000 members while some of the 'other latter day saints' groups membership rolls could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:30 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
Ahem - I have a college girlfriend who lives in Salt Lake City, who's husband is an elder in the official, LDS church there, and she is his 3rd wife. Now her hubby and all of the wives and children will all deny this publicly, and her hubby publicly denounces poligamy in speeches and officially says that any poligamists will be excommunicated. But the reality is much different. . . . . .And she indicates to me that she is the norm in SLC.

She shares this info with me because she genuinely believes in the practice, thinks her family is beautiful and healthy and knows I won't publicly expose her name.
well being an 'elder' doesnt mean much as mormans in good standing become 'elders' while in their late teens and while many lds do practice polygomy many are found out and excommunicated over the issue every year by the church and anyone who tells you it is the 'norm' in slc is full of it

Old 07-03-2008, 10:28 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post

Ahem, I live in SLC. I'm not aware of any members who are practicing polygamy. She is not his legal wife by any means, as that would mean that her "husband" would be committing a crime and would be arrested. I think, what she means, is that she one of his girlfriends. (As it is impossible for them to be legally married without committing a crime.) Basically, she's a mistress and isn't practicing the LDS teachings at all. And as the pp stated - an elder in the LDS church isn't that high of a position. Most of them men in my family are high priests, I'm not aware of any that have more than one wife. Living in SLC, I'm not aware of anyone in my entire stake that has more than one wife. If they "did" (but as I said before, she would be more like a mistress than a wife since they aren't legally married) they would be excommunicated.

To be honest, I think you're making this all up. You've said several things which are incredibly inaccurate that you've found out from "friends".

Old 07-03-2008, 02:32 PM

632 posts, read 1,517,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
To be honest, I think you're making this all up. You've said several things which are incredibly inaccurate that you've found out from "friends".

Feel free to disagree - that is what this forum is about. But just because someone has different experiences - and different friends - than you, please don't make the leap to calling them liars. Guess it is the easiest defense, though. . . .

Old 07-04-2008, 10:25 AM

430 posts, read 1,623,163 times
They are considered "Married in God's Eyes" - of course there is only one legal wife & the rest are as I stated. But they act as wives & they live all together as one big "happy" family. If they were LEGALLY married to all these wives they would be bigomists & that is not generally the legal case - or believe me, those ppl in Texas would not have gotten their kids back. But they found a bunch of single mothers living together with more legal children & the fathers taking care of the mothers & children. I am dead set against polygamy but isn't in my yard or my neighbor. THAT would make it a different issue if it was in my backyard but we do have this thing about having freedom of religion. And they stay pretty much to themselves for the most part - the heads of the colonies or compounds whatever you want to call them like to keep them pretty isolated so whatever.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:01 PM

9 posts, read 34,778 times
Cool first post..

Uh.. I must have missed it: why is Evanston "Mormon" influenced? I mean, how can you tell? No bars? Illegal to smoke or something? Sorry --I'm confused: I spent all my summers in Evanston as a kid; I must've missed it.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:17 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
As a kid growing up in Evanston, you probably wouldn't see how influencial city government is. Who get's water permits? Who gets permits to develope? Who makes decisions on the water board? How about city expansion?

Losts of things the normal citizenry doesn't see unless they're the ones trying to get the water permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming