Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 05:45 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times

Advertisements

Yep! the information I found has her name as Lillian Heath.. but I see that Nelson was her married name.
http://www.madeinwyoming.net/profiles/timelines/LillianHeathtimeline.pdf
Medicine woman

I did find several different references to what she used the skull cap for.. a flower pot... her husband's ash tray... and now you say a door stop. Someone else is said to have made shoes and satchel from that convicts skin.. eww! Apparently the skull is on display in some museum? What a fascinating life, huh?

Go ahead Elk Hunter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 08:07 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Yep! the information I found has her name as Lillian Heath.. but I see that Nelson was her married name.
http://www.madeinwyoming.net/profiles/timelines/LillianHeathtimeline.pdf
Medicine woman
I did find several different references to what she used the skull cap for.. a flower pot... her husband's ash tray... and now you say a door stop. Someone else is said to have made shoes and satchel from that convicts skin.. eww! Apparently the skull is on display in some museum? What a fascinating life, huh?
Go ahead Elk Hunter!
One of the state legislatures used his skin to make shoes and then wore them to his enaugeration.

Here's the next one.

Lovejoy's Bar & Grill in Laramie (pop. 27,204) was named after who, and what was he famous for?

Old 02-15-2010, 08:40 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
One of the state legislatures used his skin to make shoes and then wore them to his enaugeration.
Here's the next one.
Lovejoy's Bar & Grill in Laramie (pop. 27,204) was named after who, and what was he famous for?
I think that was covered in an earlier part of this thread.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...l#post10671173

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...l#post12013018

Old 02-15-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Well, I thought I was asking a question in a different manner about the Bar instead of baloon tires or the first car. But ok, I'll ask a different one.

What is the highest point crossed by the transcontinental railroad that was completed in 1869? Elevation and name?

Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 AM

Sherman Summit, Elevation 8,247 feet, the location is marked by the Ames Monument named after the two brothers credited with building the Union Pacific Railroad.

Quote:
The Ames Monument marked the highest point on the transcontinental railroad at 8,247 feet (2,514 m)[3] However, Union Pacific Railroad Company twice relocated the tracks further south, causing the town of Sherman that arose near the monument to become a ghost town.
Quote:
The Ames Monument is located about 20 miles (32 km) east of Laramie, Wyoming on an wind-blown, treeless summit south of Interstate 80 at the Vedauwoo exit. The monument is a four-sided, random ashlar pyramid, 60 feet (18 m) square at the base and 60 feet (18 m) high, constructed of light-colored native granite. The pyramid features an interior passage, now sealed, alongside the perimeter of the structure's base.
Quote:
The audacity of building a transcontinental railroad in the 1840s was "today's equivalent of the mission to Mars: Big, expensive and impossible," according to University of Wyoming historian Phil Roberts.[2] President Abraham Lincoln reportedly told Oakes Ames that if he could get the transcontinental railroad built then he would be "the most remembered man of the century."[2] Lincoln personally recruited Oakes after progress by and financial support for Credit Mobilier of America, the construction company charged with building the railroad, ground to a halt.[4] The Ames brothers succeeded where others failed and completed the transcontinental railway. However, in 1873 charges of financial fraud were leveled at Oakes, tarnishing his and the Union Pacific Railroad Company's reputation.[4]

Old 02-17-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Sherman Summit, Elevation 8,247 feet, the location is marked by the Ames Monument named after the two brothers credited with building the Union Pacific Railroad.
Sorry I was awol yesterday. Made a quick 650 mile trip and got home late. Died when I got home. Drove on many miles of ice/snow packed road. Could still run 70 but it's unerving and really wears on you.

You got it! You're turn.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:20 AM

Sounds like a rough trip, I'm glad you got home OK. Did you rescue that kid in Wamsutter?

OK next question related to the Union Pacific Railroad. The Ames Monument honors Oakes and Oliver Ames for their role in constructing the transcontinental railroad. Before they got into the railroad business, they made their fortune in what way? And what was their fathers nickname related to that?

Last edited by CptnRn; 02-17-2010 at 11:23 AM..

Old 02-17-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a rough trip, I'm glad you got home OK. Did you rescue that kid in Wamsutter?

OK next question related to the Union Pacific Railroad. The Ames Monument honors Oakes and Oliver Ames for their role in constructing the transcontinental railroad. Before they got into the railroad business, they made their fortune in what way? And what was their fathers nickname related to that?
"King of Spades" Oakes Ames and his son's Oakes and Oliver built shovels for gold miners. The company expanded and were given the contract to supply shovels to soldiers. The shovels used on the UP building were also made by them.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:15 PM

Oliver Ames, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The brothers made their fortune making shovels under the company name of Oliver Ames & Sons, established at North Easton, Massachusetts.

Ames was born in Easton, Massachusetts, the son of Oliver Ames, a blacksmith who had built a business of making shovels and became nicknamed "King of Spades"

Old 02-17-2010, 12:16 PM

dang.. I was too late! Had to stop mid post and help a student look up Civil war information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming