Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:39 PM

21 posts, read 62,102 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone -

I want to first let everyone know how wonderful you all are and how much your advise is appreciated . I have been reading your thread for a few weeks now. I actually read them every night

We just returned from a small family vacation and stopped for a couple of days to check the Tega Cay/Fort Mill area. WOW! Beautiful! I can't wait!! We drove through just about every neighborhood in Tega Cay and pick up all the different "flyers" for the houses for sale. My favorite is the Lakeshore area. We also stopped by the Reserve and I fell in love with the larger model. It is very similar to what we have now(same builder) and it is available with a 3 car garage AND a basement. The sale rep did tell us that it would probably take about 8 months for the house to be done if we want one with the basement, which means we would need to lease in the meantime.

So my question (finally ), we would like to lease a home (in Tega Cay preferably) where the school would remain the same as when we move to the Reserve. I understand that there is a freeze on a couple of middle schools and was wondering if anyone can tell me a little more about it.

Also, we really want a neighborhood where our 9 (soon to be 10) yr old son can make and have many friends. The Reserve is a small community of approximately 80-85 homes and I am afraid there might not be too many kids his age. (we have this problem now) so we are willing to give up some of the extras we want and buy an existing home in Tega Cay. I would love to hear everyones opinions.

Thks!

T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 08:02 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Terry - Tega Cay residents go to Gold Hill Elem/Middle/Fort Mill HS

The Reserve kids go to Riverview Elem (due to freeze)/Springfield Middle/Fort Mill HS...

so if you lease in Tega Cay, your kids would have to move schools if you buy at the Reserve.

The are 285 lots at the Reserve according to the plot map. Kids are starting to come here. I don't think your kids would be out of playmates. DM me if you want more info.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:24 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrylisa View Post
Hello Everyone -

I want to first let everyone know how wonderful you all are and how much your advise is appreciated . I have been reading your thread for a few weeks now. I actually read them every night

We just returned from a small family vacation and stopped for a couple of days to check the Tega Cay/Fort Mill area. WOW! Beautiful! I can't wait!! We drove through just about every neighborhood in Tega Cay and pick up all the different "flyers" for the houses for sale. My favorite is the Lakeshore area. We also stopped by the Reserve and I fell in love with the larger model. It is very similar to what we have now(same builder) and it is available with a 3 car garage AND a basement. The sale rep did tell us that it would probably take about 8 months for the house to be done if we want one with the basement, which means we would need to lease in the meantime.

So my question (finally ), we would like to lease a home (in Tega Cay preferably) where the school would remain the same as when we move to the Reserve. I understand that there is a freeze on a couple of middle schools and was wondering if anyone can tell me a little more about it.

Also, we really want a neighborhood where our 9 (soon to be 10) yr old son can make and have many friends. The Reserve is a small community of approximately 80-85 homes and I am afraid there might not be too many kids his age. (we have this problem now) so we are willing to give up some of the extras we want and buy an existing home in Tega Cay. I would love to hear everyones opinions.

Thks!

T.

Hey there Terrylisa - happy to hear you liked the area so well!

As bibit has said...I don't think your child will have any problem making friends there.

Some things I will mention...there are No enrollment freezes at the Middle school level (currently there are 3 elementary schools on an enrollment freeze).

The other thing is...while bibit is correct that the (elementary) home school for Tega Cay is Gold Hill Elementary...this happens to be one of the schools that is on an enrollment freeze...so any new children to the area will attend Riverview Elementary too (there will be 2 new elementary schools in 2009).

My suggestions (as far as renting or leasing) would be to check with the local realtors in the area, craigslist, local papers (which can be viewed online News | www.fortmilltimes.com - The Herald - Life. Captured Every Day. - Serving York, Chester, and Lancaster Counties.)

Best of luck to you!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 AM

Terry - lovethecarolinas' info is valuable since your 9 yo is in elementary. That being said, if you leased in Tega Cay and bought later in Tega, your child in Riverview would move on to Gold Hill MS. If you lease in Tega and later buy at the Reserve, his classmates at Riverview would move on to Springfield, which means in either case, some of his classmates at Riverview would be split wherever you move. Both choices are excellent and you can't go wrong.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:04 AM

21 posts, read 72,291 times
Hi there!
But, it is my understanding that eventually the freeze will be lifted and Tega Cay residents will go to Gold Mill Elementary. Is this not correct?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeaustengirl View Post
Hi there!
But, it is my understanding that eventually the freeze will be lifted and Tega Cay residents will go to Gold Mill Elementary. Is this not correct?
Yes this is correct. Not sure of the time frame though.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeaustengirl View Post
Hi there!
yep (as bibit has said) once the freeze has been lifted TC children will attend Gold Hill Elementary (they are already going to start repopulating Gold Hill Elem. and Orchard Park Elem to some degree.....and I would say that once the 2 new elementary schools are completed..then all children will attend their appropriate home school)

~ taken from the Fort Mill School District website ~

Repopulating Frozen Schools

The Fort Mill School District will be filling empty seats at Gold Hill Elementary and Orchard Park Elementary next school year. The parents of 150 students who were assigned to Riverview Elementary by the enrollment freeze will receive a letter in May informing them of the move. The assignment will be based on the date of residency and will include siblings.
The Board of Trustees has also voted to freeze Kindergarten at Springfield Elementary at 160 students. Kindergarten enrollment is expected to reach that number before June 6, when all grades will be frozen. This decision will not affect siblings of students enrolled by June 5.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:32 PM

21 posts, read 62,102 times
Default So either way Riverview Elem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Hey there Terrylisa - happy to hear you liked the area so well!

As bibit has said...I don't think your child will have any problem making friends there.

Some things I will mention...there are No enrollment freezes at the Middle school level (currently there are 3 elementary schools on an enrollment freeze).

The other thing is...while bibit is correct that the (elementary) home school for Tega Cay is Gold Hill Elementary...this happens to be one of the schools that is on an enrollment freeze...so any new children to the area will attend Riverview Elementary too (there will be 2 new elementary schools in 2009).

My suggestions (as far as renting or leasing) would be to check with the local realtors in the area, craigslist, local papers (which can be viewed online News | www.fortmilltimes.com - The Herald - Life. Captured Every Day. - Serving York, Chester, and Lancaster Counties.)

Best of luck to you!
Thanks for your reply Love

So either way the only available elementary for the coming year would be Riverview. Just a quick question, if the enrollment freeze is lifted in the middle of the year, does this mean that they would transfer the children already enrolled in Riverview?

Sorry, I'm sure you think I'm a dork LOL, its just that this is such a big move for us, I would just hate to move our son in the middle of the year.

T.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:24 AM

You are not a dork...you are a wife, and a mother who is just trying to gather all the information you can before such a big move...sounds like you are pretty smart to me!

Here is a link that tells a little more about it:

http://www.fort-mill.k12.sc.us/downloads/F170E789D0994022833E411729C16351/Enrollment%20Freeze%20Update.pdf (broken link)

While there will be 3 elementary schools on an enrollment freeze in 2008 that in fact leaves 2 elementary schools (Riverview Elem. and Fort Mill Elem.). Enrollment freezes are not lifted in the middle of a school year so your child would finish out his, or her year at Riverview Elem., or Fort Mill Elem. (depending on where in the FM district you are located).

I have no doubt that in 2009 that the enrollments on the elementary schools will be lifted and children will attend their homes schools.

I hope this is somewhat clear..but if it not...I am blaming it on the cleaning fumes that are swirling around my head right now! (it's breaktime)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrylisa View Post
Thanks for your reply Love

So either way the only available elementary for the coming year would be Riverview. Just a quick question, if the enrollment freeze is lifted in the middle of the year, does this mean that they would transfer the children already enrolled in Riverview?

Sorry, I'm sure you think I'm a dork LOL, its just that this is such a big move for us, I would just hate to move our son in the middle of the year.

T.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:01 AM

18 posts, read 76,573 times
Thumbs up You may want to consider another subdivision

My son's family with two boys 7 and 9 had a home built in English Trail so they could have the boys in the same schools all the way through their primary education. They go to the newer Springfield Elementary and will go to the Newer Springfield Middle and the New Nations Ford High School. That home is very conveniently locationed near the Carolina Place Mall, near Carowinds and close to Charlotte. They love it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties