Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 12:52 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr11 View Post
Clearly my point was missed here. I am not scamming anyone. I will be living and will be a resident of alaska when I apply for my future job with the state I was simply asking how I go about doing so. People need to calm down and not jump to conclusions when you aren't even aware of the situation.
The State is going through a layoff and new hiring freeze at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 12:48 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
I just saw Troopers may get laid off. Although they are looking at closing more posts to save people's jobs.

RayinAK - It was in the paper that at least 350 UAF Jobs may be lost. It was unclear as to how many were actual people and how many were budgeted positions.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:50 PM

284 posts, read 405,179 times
Hey mtnlvr--there are several places for rent right now listed in the Daily Sitka Sentinel. They will go fast as fishing season is coming up quick. Just thought I'd let ya know.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:42 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I just saw Troopers may get laid off. Although they are looking at closing more posts to save people's jobs.

RayinAK - It was in the paper that at least 350 UAF Jobs may be lost. It was unclear as to how many were actual people and how many were budgeted positions.
I read in the paper about the uaf positions and about post consolidation in effort to avoid layoffs. Did you see something different than what's stated below?

Troopers are considering closing 2 Mat-Su posts to consolidate in Wasilla | Alaska Dispatch News

For those who have not yet read the paper

300 UAF jobs at stake even in 'best-case scenario,' university says | Alaska Dispatch News

^I also thought it said 350

Old 04-03-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post

Yes, around 350 at UAF alone this year. But I believe that all Alaska agencies such as the DOT, troopers, and the rest will lose jobs and also go on a hiring freeze. It the price of oil goes up to perhaps $50.00 to $60.00 per barrel, and Alaska is allowed to pump oil, then the job loss will slow down by next year. But that's what one should call "hope and change"

One thing I would like, at least around Fairbanks, is for the DOT to stop using the salt brine they spray all over the Richardson up to the Parks, around Farmers Loop, and other areas in town. The result of such a mess on the roads is rusted cars. So maybe they will run out of money and forget to spend on salt?

If the F-35 Squadrons make it to Eielson, there will be some temporary construction work in this area. But that work won't last more than a year, I imagine.
http://www.newsminer.com/news/milita...5b3948c67.html

Old 04-03-2016, 05:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr11 View Post
Clearly my point was missed here. I am not scamming anyone. I will be living and will be a resident of alaska when I apply for my future job with the state I was simply asking how I go about doing so. People need to calm down and not jump to conclusions when you aren't even aware of the situation.
So what the deal with getting a P.O. box almost a year in advance for the purpose of applying for state jobs? Just get your P.O. box when you move or apply for state jobs that don't have a residency requirement (not all do) if you want to try to get work lined up before you move. And you should listen to those who've tried to tell you that state jobs are going to be pretty scarce for awhile.

ETA that not everything that's been posted in their thread is necessarily directed at you. This forum gets a lot of traffic, including those looking for residency info ...

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-03-2016 at 05:57 PM..

Old 04-03-2016, 06:50 PM

P.O. boxes at the Post Office have been getting quite expensive. I remember paying around $75.00 per year maybe five years ago, then it went up to $120.00, and now we are paying around $160.00 per year. We have a P.O. box to keep bank statements (for example), and other important documents away from the mailbox at the street. The street mailbox is for our home address, where non-important mail is delivered too, including junk mail, magazines, and the like.

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-03-2016 at 07:02 PM..

Old 04-03-2016, 07:25 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
^My mailbox is on the Alaska highway. It gets abused on a regular basis with bottles and such being thrown at it and on Easter someone decided to literally blow it to pieces with some sort of firecracker/explosive and I had to replace it. I'm pretty low key and don't think it's anyone specifically targeting me, probably just bored teenagers or drunk lowlifes. Luckily I didn't have any mail in there at the time. A p.o. Box is much more secure but costs a decent chunk of change. Plus I like having a mailbox as my road isn't named so it gives some sort or marker for directions. If it happens again though, I'm ordering something like this locking heavy duty steel mailbox http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000PI..._t2_B003TJ9DQQ off amazon prime.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:45 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Yes, around 350 at UAF alone this year. But I believe that all Alaska agencies such as the DOT, troopers, and the rest will lose jobs and also go on a hiring freeze. It the price of oil goes up to perhaps $50.00 to $60.00 per barrel, and Alaska is allowed to pump oil, then the job loss will slow down by next year. But that's what one should call "hope and change"

One thing I would like, at least around Fairbanks, is for the DOT to stop using the salt brine they spray all over the Richardson up to the Parks, around Farmers Loop, and other areas in town. The result of such a mess on the roads is rusted cars. So maybe they will run out of money and forget to spend on salt?

If the F-35 Squadrons make it to Eielson, there will be some temporary construction work in this area. But that work won't last more than a year, I imagine.
http://www.newsminer.com/news/milita...5b3948c67.html

Are they still brining the roads?? I didn't see any brine trucks this year. Last winter I got stuck directly behind two of them driving in tandem all the way through Fairbanks from the weigh station in Fox. I was so stinking ticked off. We were in a cold snap, so I couldn't even wash the damn salt off my truck.

They have big signs on the back of them saying to keep 200-ft behind them but I stayed 500-ft behind, easy. When we got to the divided part of the Steese the guy next to me followed suit. He didn't want any part of those trucks either.

Those trucks go about 7 mi/hr, so I was pretty hot by the time I got to town, lol.

Oh hey maybe I didn't see any brine trucks because we didn't have any snow!!

Old 04-03-2016, 08:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Also, although it's probably too complicated, it states right here that all you need to apply for a state job in Alaska is to be living in Alaska.

Division of Personnel and Labor Relations, Department of Administration, State of Alaska

Quote:
The definition of Alaska Resident for purposes of employment with the State of Alaska can be established in one of the following ways:

The applicant is domiciled in the state of Alaska
So I'm not sure why a P.O. Box a year in advance is even necessary -- seriously, what's the point in getting one in May if you aren't even moving until next March?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-03-2016 at 08:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska