Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 12:22 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

If you are an Alaska resident:
Renew Vehicle Registration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:14 PM

19 posts, read 21,568 times
Cause I am currently working for the State of Colorado and I would like to find a similar position with Alaska but you cannot apply until you are an AK resident.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:19 PM

19 posts, read 21,568 times
Has nothing to do with the dividend or Fishing/Hunting license costs. Fiancee will have a job but I would be leaving a very good job here.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Oh, I see. You want to fake being a resident so you can apply for a position that should go to someone already living in Alaska.

Alaska is experiencing a hiring freeze that isn't likely to end anytime soon. I doubt faking residency will have the desired results. I'm curious about how you're going to pull of pretending to be an Alaska resident while still employed in Colorado.

Just in case you're curious, getting a Post Office box in Alaska won't make you eligible for a state position that's only open to residents.

http://doa.alaska.gov/dop/fileadmin/...pplication.pdf

It clearly states here that you must be "Currently Domiciled in the State of Alaska."

Just curious -- you're obviously planning on lying about that, but how are you going to explain still being employed by the State of Colorado while claiming to be an Alaska resident? They do require verification of residency claims, and I doubt that your P.O. Box scam is going to fly too far.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-28-2016 at 09:07 PM..

Old 03-28-2016, 11:13 PM

Oh, and another thing I'm curious about is why this thread is allowed here. The OP is asking for advice on scamming the state.

Alaska has enough liars and scammers collecting state paychecks without welcoming more into the fold by giving them advice on how to fake residency.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:17 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh, and another thing I'm curious about is why this thread is allowed here. The OP is asking for advice on scamming the state.

Alaska has enough liars and scammers collecting state paychecks without welcoming more into the fold by giving them advice on how to fake residency.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Metlakatla again.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:01 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

I would +1 you if I could.

But, possibly only allowed because Rance is at work and hasn't yet seen it?

Old 03-29-2016, 11:10 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
In the OP's defense, I didn't necessarily get the impression that they were trying to scam the state. I think the confusion lies in what residency means and how it is achieved as it's different in every state. Alaska is a little more strict on what qualifies as a resident since there is more at stake. South Dakota for example, I believe only requires you to show up once, and then be in the state one day a year or something like that to qualify as a resident that's why you see a lot of full time RVer's who "live" in South Dakota with S.D. plates.

Anyways, since this is Alaska you'll have to establish residency by Alaska's rules. For most things, it seems to be at least a year after you move up here full time before you are classified as a resident (not including the check or in state tuition which have more strict criteria). Just coming up for the summer does not count.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:32 PM

The state jobs website makes it pretty clear -- it says in plain English that you need be living in the state, and the OP obviously knows that or she wouldn't be trying to find a way around it.

As far as applying for state jobs, you don't need to be in Alaska for a year or otherwise establish residency the way you would for the check or hunting and fishing licenses. You simply need to be living in the state at the time of application, from what it says on their site, and they do seem to ask for verification. I doubt a P.O. box will be enough, especially when they figure out she's still working in Colorado, unless she's planning on lying about that, too.

Only some state jobs require residency, btw, but I imagine that all jobs with the state will be pretty scarce for awhile.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-29-2016 at 01:11 PM..

Old 03-30-2016, 10:54 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
To the OP, just by the way, welcome to Alaska. Sounds like you folks are planning to move and establish yourselves here -- you'll love it. Moving to AK without a job isn't something that would normally be encouraged (probably), but if one of you is moving with work, then I think you can figure something out. State hiring is at a minimum due to some pretty major budgetary concerns. If you care to post what type of jobs / fields you're interested in, you never know what kind of help you can get from the forum. Alaska is small enough that I've been able to help connect people I know with jobs I've heard about pretty easily.

Last edited by jabogitlu; 03-30-2016 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska