Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:39 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos
I had the same problem. Since being on a lower carb (no sugar, white flour, junk food) natural food diet I feel much better.

It's impossible to get enough Vit D at such high latitudes from sunlight exposure during the winter. Make sure you supplement with 5000 IU D3 (yes, 5000, that's way higher than most "experts" suggest) daily. Most people are deficient anyway because they don't get enough sun exposure.
Oh I agree on the vit D. I didn't know I was deficient until I read an article that stated one of the signs of vit D deficiency was bruises not healing. I hadn't had problems with this in the past and then when I moved to a higher latitude, bingo, bruises staying purple forever.
I had horrible Vit D deficiency and didn't know it. The docs are just now figuring out how important D is to all your systems (not just your bones). Here were my symptoms:
1) Bruises that took forever to heal (they thought it was a potassium deficiency or clotting disorder but all those tests were NORMAL),
2) Inflammed gums, pockets around the roots, and loose teeth (the dentist thought I had some sort of gingivitis but there was NO INFECTION)
3) Extremely tired all the time (they thought I was anemic but my iron, B12 and hemoglobin were all NORMAL)
4) Constant low-level joint and muscle pain (they thought I might have arthritis or fibromyalgia - but the tests and symptoms did match up).

To get out of the deficiency, I took 50,000 UI of D3 (cholecalciferol) EVERY DAY for a month, retested, and now I take 50,000 UI a week. If I take any less, then my levelsdrop too low (but everyone is different, so get the blood tests and adjust accordingly). D2 (ergocalciferol) does not work as well, so definitely get D3 if you can!

The RDA of 400 IU is a joke... the only people that works for are people who work outside in the sun all day. Not too many people work outside in the sun all day anymore, especially not anyone who lives north of 35-40 degrees latitude! Research shows that 30 minutes of sunlight (WITHOUT sunscreen!) generates about 10,000 IU from the skin... so that is now considered the "safe" upper limit in many circles. If you want to go the sunlight, or tanning bed, route you need 30 minutes without sunscreen... after 30 minutes you can put sunscreen on. The sunlight method doesn't work around the Artic Circle because the angle of sunlight isn't high enough to get enough UV-B. Also make sure that your tanning lamp is UV-B light, because that's the lightwave your skin uses to make the conversion... it's also the kind that gives you sunburn & skin cancer when overexposed, so be careful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 12:19 PM

10 posts, read 70,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Kim - I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, and I'm autistic (Asperger's). I don't suffer from SAD in the winter darkness, but I did have lots of problems with the summer's constant daylight. I actually did better in AK with my "issues" than I have in other parts of the country (Seattle and the Carolina's have been the worst). Here's what I found helped with the winter and summer:

1) Full-spectrum light boxes for the winter - 30 mins a day works great
2) Take extra Vitamin D supplements in the winter -- RDA is 400 IU, that is TOO LOW, check with your doctor to see if you can take 10,000 IU a day (you CAN get a toxic overdose of Vit D, but they estimate that 30 mins of sunlight generates 10,000 IU, so that level should be safe if your blood levels aren't too high already).
3) Keep your body and brain active in the winter - when the moon is full and there is snow out, it's almost as bright as daylight! If you can't get out and be physical, keep your brain working inside... do puzzles, work on a hobby, read books, play games, whatever... just don't sit there and ruminate or you will go stir crazy and increase your risk for major depression and cabin fever.
4) If you take medication for your depression, discuss with your doc about increasing your dosage, switching to a different med, or augmenting with an additional med in the winter... this sometimes helps.
5) As mentioned, keep a normal sleep pattern! Nap if you're tired, don't nap when you're bored! I suggest getting an outlet timer that you can plug a light (any light) into and set it to come one are your normal wake up time. This one really helped me!
6) Try to limit alcohol and heavy carbs in the winter... both of these can mess up your metabolism, blood sugar levels and mood if you're sensitive.
7) Get plenty of fresh air! Even if it's only stepping out on your porch for a few minutes. Try opening the windows on the warmer days too. I don't know why this works, but maybe the air quality inside gets a bit bad and that triggers physical/psychological issues.

8) In the summer - get really thick blinds and/or black-out curtains. You have to sleep or you will go nuts. Do whatever you have to in order to make your bedroom as dark as possible during your "sleeping hours".
9) Keep a regular sleep schedule, just like in the winter. Your body is going to try to stay awake because the sun is up... don't let it! Fighting this urge is essential for anyone who suffers from depression... ask your doc about taking sleep meds if you have to.
10) Get as much physical exercise as you can during the "day"... get thoroughly exhausted and you'll sleep better at "night".
11) Get earplugs if you're sensitive to noise when you sleep... birds/animals and people will be out making noise because it's still light.

All-in-all, I don't think that AK is off-limits to you just because you suffer from depression/mood disorders. You just have to be mindful and take steps to help yourself through times that could be detrimental. I did MUCH better in AK than anywhere else, probably because there are less people and not as much "social stress" (I'm an Introvert, too). Since you have family around, I think you'll do just fine and will stay active. If you're concerned, it's probably better to be near them regardless of the seasonal day/night hours in that location. At least you won't be totally alone and there are more people to look out for you if you go a bit bonkers for a
while!
Wow, your post is really helpful and inspiring if I might say ;trying not to sound sappy.

I have anxiety along with my mood disorder, they sort of go hand in hand sometimes, dont they?My worst is social anxiety.Im not sure if its because Im introverted or if I am introverted because of the anxiety.I guess it doesnt matter much because I dont see anything wrong with being introverted, and Im not interested in being extroverted.Being around really outgoing,extraverted people tends to exhaust me. Honestly they annoy me after awhile too.

Also my son has a Pervasive Development Disorder, not specified but with Autistic tendencies.He is 8 and doing so well in school after alot of early intervention and therapies,so reading your posts here, I am hopeful for him.You seem to have overcame many of the obstacles people with these disorders face.

I completly agree with you, just because of the mood disorders I have I shouldnt rule out Alaska, but just be mindful and take precautions.I will definately heed much of your advice.

Strangely though, everytime I vacation in the summer when the sun is up until 2 in the morning, I have never had a difficult time falling asleep at my usual 11:00 bed time.Maybe because I find it so peaceful and relaxing there compared to the stressful life in CA.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:23 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Yes, I totally forgot about the joints. That was another clue that I had a vit D deficiency. I would be working out at the gym and my joints would make a cracking sound. I also agree about the RDA being a joke if you live in the higher lats.

Sleeping when the sun is up at stupid dark thirty is easy. I don't think you'll have a problem there Just see what your doc says about it. Tanning beds work great in the winter too. That boost of light helps. I know lots of people who do that.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:43 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Yes, I totally forgot about the joints. That was another clue that I had a vit D deficiency. I would be working out at the gym and my joints would make a cracking sound. I also agree about the RDA being a joke if you live in the higher lats.

Sleeping when the sun is up at stupid dark thirty is easy. I don't think you'll have a problem there Just see what your doc says about it. Tanning beds work great in the winter too. That boost of light helps. I know lots of people who do that.
I know a lot of people who overdo it.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:10 AM

655 posts, read 916,599 times
No offense but many here are sugar coating things. If you come here depressed already, you might not escape it alive. I always speak the truth on these forums, harsh as that reality might be. I have admitted here more then once to really struggling with the long winters. Mentally and physically more and more each season. The past two winters damn near did me in and I served in the Marine Core. I'm no whimp, but the long winters took a toll on me that seemed to have a compound affect. Since I have moved, to a sunny place, I feel much better. In fact, I feel like my old self again. I need sun, you might not.

Perhaps your chemistry is different, but most people with a pre-disposition to depression, do not fare well in a dark place like Alaska. It almost always makes it worse. When I was out on Adak back in the late 70's the suicide rate was insane. Something to think about.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:15 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
I call BS. Sure some might be mentally incapable of living here. I've lived here all my life and still have no trouble getting through a winter. Matter of fact I love winter here. Maybe I'm the crazy one?
regardless of the time of year...a person needs to get off the couch and outside doing something. I've worked nights for the last 20 years and have no problem sleeping during the day either. One's attitude toward life in general also plays a role. I was in the Army for 6 years in this great state. I'm no wimp either! Don't think that has anything to do with it. Just get out and enjoy the beauty this state has to offer.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:50 AM

There are so many causes for depression. What is a problem for one, may not be a problem for others. From my own experience and those friends of mine with similar triggers... we're introverts and a lot of our depression stems from being in socially demanding and population dense areas. Moving to the "country" or a place like Alaska that isn't as populated can relieve a great many issues for someone like that.

Now, many people do suffer from SAD and it's a real physiological problem that they need to have light therapy to deal with (pineal gland stimulation even more than the Vitamin D thing). I'd venture to say that many people who suffer from depression and get worse during the long winters in Alaska aren't managing their triggers properly... whether that's light therapy, staying active, being more social, sleeping properly, whatever.

If you find that you can't manage your depression in one place because of adverse environmental issues or lack of proper support, then you need to find another place with a more conducive environment and a better support system. For some, that's somewhere sunny and warm all year round with lots of people around; but for others it might be somewhere with long periods of light and dark, colder temps, less random people but more family. It's something that you, the depressed person, must really determine for yourself.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:40 AM

10 posts, read 70,440 times
I think a positive outlook on life certaintly helps Rance, I am actually an optimist which is godd I think for my condition.There are so many factors that contribute to depression for people who struggle with it, because its not as much enviromental as it is brain chemistry , its just as inherant as the color of ones hair. Everyone gets depressed , and its a natural process, but for some people it doesnt only come at the appropriate times like after a death, divorce, or loss of a job.

I dont agree after thinking about it and researching that just because someone has these problems that living in a non-sunny place will cause them to go off the deep end and commit suicide.One thing that I have to remember is that Ive already been at the bottom many times,this isnt something that I got from living in a place with bad weather for a year or two , its something ive had since 13 years old, and you know what? if you met me you would never know.

Having a predisposition to depression doesnt make you any weaker than anyone else, just like having a learning disability doesnt make someone less intelligent.Its just an obstacle, and we all have them.

One things for sure , the pros and cons have to be weighed.

Ive got cold, and dark...er for for Alaska.

I can tell you one thing from my experience from visiting Alaska many times.When I land and get out of the plane and breath the air I feel alot better immediately, and I see the sky and the nature and Im the calmest happiest person in the world for my whole visit, Ive vacationed in many states and I dont get that anywhere else.

Everytime I fly back home before the plane lands I look out the window, and see the haze of brown air I get a feeling of gloom,and I think "I cant believe this is the oxygen that supports my body and brain function". I get out of the plane and am surrounded by tons of people rushing here and there the drive home on the freeway bumper to bumper, and my anxiety immediately comes back.

Maybe the dark would get to me, I dont know, but I dont think I should live my life in fear and limited just because I have a few problems.I can always move away if I have too anyways.

Last edited by kimling; 07-18-2008 at 10:48 AM..

Old 07-18-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimling View Post
Maybe the dark would get to me, I dont know, but I dont think I should live my life in fear and limited just because I have a few problems.I can always move away if I have too anyways.
You go!! I've had issues my whole life... I let myself be limited because of them in the past, but no more. Actively trying to work around your roadblocks and find a lifestyle you can be comfortable with, even if the result is a way of life other people couldn't, makes all the difference. Nothing compounds depression more than giving up and telling yourself that you're helpless and everything is hopeless.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:12 PM

8 posts, read 18,291 times
Default A New life....

Greetings everyone....

I have been going through some interesting times the past few years and I quit drinking and started taking meds. I also started taking vitamin supplements and Omega - 3 Fish oil gel caps. I am taking about 4000mg a day and they, I feel are more important to my mental well being than the meds. But I am smart enough not to stop anything that is working well. I also had a support group and a new CHurch that provided a sense of community that kept me involved and helped me keep my mental state on track. Helping others does wonders for me.

Anyway. I am a FIRM believer in medical care and RESEARCH. Like those advocating Vitamin D, I too believe that the scientific community ignores anecdotal evidence too much. I feel that Omega - 3 is a HUGE factor in my well being nad strongly suggest that people look into it. Make sure that your choice includes high values of DHA & EPA the real active parts for your mental issues.

A good start
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska