Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times

Advertisements

This works just as well, not as fast as your sleds...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:03 AM

7,498 posts, read 5,747,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Naw, too old to be out trying to kill myself anymore...

One of these does just fine.... Wide track (20"), 660 CC with a four stroke engine that is quiet and rides two like a Cadillac! Not to mention I can haul a lot of freight with it!
Good to see your still riding

Old 10-05-2008, 01:27 PM

7 posts, read 21,329 times
Default Depressed in Phoenix

Welp. Im sittin here in Phoenix, sunny alll the time, a pleasant 86 degrees- wondering about why Im so depressed.
I used to live in Cleveland, where its dark and gloomy for months, and I thought then, as I was extremely depressed, that if I didnt see the sun soon - I was gonna die. So - I moved to Phoenix.
Welp----- now Im sittin here in Phoenix, sunny alll the time, a pleasant 86 degrees- wondering about why Im so depressed. Lol.
I have a generalized anxiety/panic issue- can take about any form, complete with heart patterns, sweating, fight or flight- just total fear. And you know, those of us with these anxiety type probs, can cycle between anxiety, stress, depression, yaddayadda.
I had a shrink once tell me " __________ is always trying to stop us from doing things"! For me- the statement would be " Panic is always trying to stop me from doing things". You can slot any word in that blank. Depression, anxiety, stress, fear- whatever. For me, key is dont let these emotions/issues stop me from doing anything.
My point is.. do what you WANT to do. These depression, or any emotional issues, certainly should not be part of the equation. Doing what you want empowers you, and dis-empowers the emotional obstacle.
Hope this makes sense, and hope you enjoy Alaska if you want it. Im also thinking of moving there, its why I found this thread. And I had the same thoughts,, " What if I get depressed, what if I freak out about being so far from the world I know, way up in the far north,,, all kinds of stuff. Finally though- I want it so... now I'm looking for a way. Its a year or so away but,,, is in process.
Rixx

Old 10-05-2008, 03:42 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Good to see your still riding
It is more like "Meandering", I do about 20 MPH on a trail and spend more time looking around than trying to get where I am going quickly. It is amazing on how much you miss when you are zipping by trying to stay on the trail...

Even on the ride out to the cabin, there is so much to see, even just tracks that go down the trail are neat to watch and follow as the critter goes from one side to the other checking things out.

You see moose standing there, rabbits, hawks, wolves and the list goes on. When I was smoking down the trails in my youth, I never saw much except for what I was trying to get around that stepped out on the trail... Which most of the time I missed...

The key to not getting depressed in the winter is to be outside doing something, even shoveling snow keeps you busy, cutting fire wood, snowmachine, sking or drinking coffee watching the Northern Lights. The folks that "Hole up" for the winter are the ones most likely to have issues with the long dark days of winter, just get outside or do something that requires a lot of concentration, like painting or some other expressive form of art/entertainment.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:49 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,102,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
It is more like "Meandering", I do about 20 MPH on a trail and spend more time looking around than trying to get where I am going quickly. It is amazing on how much you miss when you are zipping by trying to stay on the trail...

Even on the ride out to the cabin, there is so much to see, even just tracks that go down the trail are neat to watch and follow as the critter goes from one side to the other checking things out.

You see moose standing there, rabbits, hawks, wolves and the list goes on. When I was smoking down the trails in my youth, I never saw much except for what I was trying to get around that stepped out on the trail... Which most of the time I missed...

The key to not getting depressed in the winter is to be outside doing something, even shoveling snow keeps you busy, cutting fire wood, snowmachine, sking or drinking coffee watching the Northern Lights. The folks that "Hole up" for the winter are the ones most likely to have issues with the long dark days of winter, just get outside or do something that requires a lot of concentration, like painting or some other expressive form of art/entertainment.
I am a wee bit impatient, though I know it is just a wee bit early yet...

I am also just thrilled to see snowfall - vertically!!

Old 10-05-2008, 04:51 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
I am also just thrilled to see snowfall - vertically!!
Wait till you see it snow horizontally & diagonally!

Old 10-05-2008, 05:20 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,102,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Wait till you see it snow horizontally & diagonally!
We moved from Wyoming, Chris...vertical snow is a new thrill for us

Old 10-05-2008, 05:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
I have to say that I think I've experienced "sun deprivation", both on POW and in the upper Susitna, but it didn't happen until just a couple of years ago. It didn't seem to affect me when I was younger.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:48 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,423,442 times
This is a very good thread.
I can say that I have experienced pretty much of what the OP..kimling has mentioned,, some of it directly and some indirectly. Example: If you look at my location(s) you will notice that I live in SoCal (Majove Desert) 30+ years , so I can understand what was meant by the weather and the cost of living out there. There was a time where I would say that I'd never leave Ca. Times change.
Also, my location shows that I'm originally from (N)Michigan. Although Mi. is not identical to AK. it has some basics. Winter nights are long, but not 24hrs.
kimling, this type of climate change will take time to get use to. There wil also be a cuture shock. But you will get over it. I moved from SoCal to OK. inthe summer of "07". and even though I'm from MI.,,,,, after living in the hot dry desert heat in SoCal for decades, I still had to get use to the cold weather.(and I still am). Expect to unexpected.

I'm not DR, or physical disorder expert, but in SoCal I was married to a woman with BiPolar/Manic depression for 21years. Most people couldn't have handled her episodes, they were very violent and lasted weeks to months at a time. I learned alot from her depression. I have a disability, the medication I take can cause depression but. I live alone now but I've learned how to control it. Most of the things I do to control/avoid depression has already been mentioned on this thread.
Somethings you may need to force yourself to do at first, but once you get started the problems gone. Never block yourself from the sun or outside. Keep your blinds and shades open atleast partway. Drink coffee, keep yourself occupied. Try to set yourself up for something to do tommorrow so you have something to look forward to. Try to keep a positive mind. Always have an extra voice in the house(Radio/TV), Get involved, and don't let your mind wander.
You can do it.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:11 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,845,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
This is a very good thread.
I can say that I have experienced pretty much of what the OP..kimling has mentioned,, some of it directly and some indirectly. Example: If you look at my location(s) you will notice that I live in SoCal (Majove Desert) 30+ years , so I can understand what was meant by the weather and the cost of living out there. There was a time where I would say that I'd never leave Ca. Times change.
Also, my location shows that I'm originally from (N)Michigan. Although Mi. is not identical to AK. it has some basics. Winter nights are long, but not 24hrs.
kimling, this type of climate change will take time to get use to. There wil also be a cuture shock. But you will get over it. I moved from SoCal to OK. inthe summer of "07". and even though I'm from MI.,,,,, after living in the hot dry desert heat in SoCal for decades, I still had to get use to the cold weather.(and I still am). Expect to unexpected.

I'm not DR, or physical disorder expert, but in SoCal I was married to a woman with BiPolar/Manic depression for 21years. Most people couldn't have handled her episodes, they were very violent and lasted weeks to months at a time. I learned alot from her depression. I have a disability, the medication I take can cause depression but. I live alone now but I've learned how to control it. Most of the things I do to control/avoid depression has already been mentioned on this thread.
Somethings you may need to force yourself to do at first, but once you get started the problems gone. Never block yourself from the sun or outside. Keep your blinds and shades open atleast partway. Drink coffee, keep yourself occupied. Try to set yourself up for something to do tommorrow so you have something to look forward to. Try to keep a positive mind. Always have an extra voice in the house(Radio/TV), Get involved, and don't let your mind wander.
You can do it.
You got it, 'cept need things to do...I am not an outside person, and last winter flew by me...I had more depression from the summer that never was here, than the winter ....I have no lack of things to keep me occupied or have to be done first....Keeping the mind busy is the key, don't worry about the weather...if sit and dwell on 'whatever" trips the trigger, we are done for...doesn't matter if in the sunny desert or dark "here", keep the mind busy and all is good, We have a brain, when we stop learning or trying to, it is the beginning of the end....

Scary thing: I was looking forward to snow (have it), and I hate snow, cold, except at
Xmas...I am thinking bipolar for wanting winter....when my GD was here this summer and it started getting dark end of August, she actually got scared as it had been light out all night all summer...culture shock no matter where we are....

Last edited by Grannysroost; 10-22-2008 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: cuz I can
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska