Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do folks in Alaska feel about Gov. Palin
I support Gov Palin. Voting McCain in 2008 32 42.11%
I do not support Gov. Palin. Voting Obama in 2008 29 38.16%
Both equally bad, were Doomed 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

More complete idiocy in the election forum--this time about "Alaska stealing this nation's oil"

https://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...merican-5.html

Screw it, I'm going to join the AIP myself.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:06 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
More complete idiocy in the election forum--this time about "Alaska stealing this nation's oil"

https://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...merican-5.html

Screw it, I'm going to join the AIP myself.
I don't know what's up with some posters over there, talking nonsense about Alaska. If it's weren't so serious, it would be funny.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:42 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I haven't read this, but just from the title...probably...but Alaska at least understands partially the meaning of taking care of your own before sending it all elsewhere to people with the same problems.....and letting ours fend for themselves....while other countries are fed our money. I am not anti-humanitarian, but I firmly believe in taking care of our own first...How many other countries let their people go, to take care of someone else's....catch 22....
Just playing devil's advocate here,

If what you posted is true, why are so many Native Alaskan's forced to accept fuel from Citgo/Hugo Chavez?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:43 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I don't know what's up with some posters over there, talking nonsense about Alaska. If it's weren't so serious, it would be funny.
I think that because there aren't very many politically oriented people from AK posting with any regularity in the Politics section, that folks over there can assume a knowledge that they don't have and will never possess. They know that for the most part they won't be challenged, so they don't let unimportant things like "facts" get in the way of their opinions.

I'll share some of the facts I learned about Obama that I got from the NRA tomorrow.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I think that because there aren't very many politically oriented people from AK posting with any regularity in the Politics section, that folks over there can assume a knowledge that they don't have and will never possess. They know that for the most part they won't be challenged, so they don't let unimportant things like "facts" get in the way of their opinions.

I'll share some of the facts I learned about Obama that I got from the NRA tomorrow.
I received the information, too. Have been a NRA member for a long time.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:38 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I received the information, too. Have been a NRA member for a long time.
Did you see Wayne LaPierre on Fox this morning?

Old 10-23-2008, 11:13 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here,

If what you posted is true, why are so many Native Alaskan's forced to accept fuel from Citgo/Hugo Chavez?
Sioux - I was responding to the complaints from the political board about the PFD that in some of their minds sustains Alaskans, along with the token $1200 energy credit this year. None of it adds up to much with the prices in more remote areas away from the population. We are fortunate where we are to have the natural gas versus the cost of heating fuel. In the aspect of the PFD, Alaska is trying to do something for it's own, which is more than any other state in the union. We also pay some of the highest gas prices in the union, as I think it was Grill God, not positive, said yesterday that is it pretty bad when we are excited about $3.50/gallon gas..., but it has dropped some. Still does not compare to what they are paying further out, which no one talks about, or the price of food, heating oil, etc. There was just something on the news the other day about with the earlier freezeup, that the barges cannot get fuel to some areas that normally get it and they were trying to get help to have it flown in, as this village only had enough fuel to provide electricity for another month....So, I totally agree with where you are coming from

Old 10-23-2008, 11:40 AM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
There was just something on the news the other day about with the earlier freezeup, that the barges cannot get fuel to some areas that normally get it and they were trying to get help to have it flown in, as this village only had enough fuel to provide electricity for another month....So, I totally agree with where you are coming from
Thanks for the response. I know that many states have subsidies for the elderly, chronically ill, etc. who can can't afford heat but with the rising costs of, well, everything, I wonder how long that will last. I don't agree with his politics, but I would have no problem taking Chavez' fuel if the choice was his or none.

I'm moving to Angoon right after Thanksgiving. I'm hoping fuel won't be a problem there. My home base is northern North Dakota so it's not like I don't know what cold is. But, the older I get, the more I appreciate the simple things in life, like heat.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Thanks for the response. I know that many states have subsidies for the elderly, chronically ill, etc. who can can't afford heat but with the rising costs of, well, everything, I wonder how long that will last. I don't agree with his politics, but I would have no problem taking Chavez' fuel if the choice was his or none.

I'm moving to Angoon right after Thanksgiving. I'm hoping fuel won't be a problem there. My home base is northern North Dakota so it's not like I don't know what cold is. But, the older I get, the more I appreciate the simple things in life, like heat.
There is "fuel assistance" here too, it sounded to me that they were giving an option as to help with bills or weatherization (not positive). The cost is high to start with, but when you add the cost of barging or flying it in, whether fuel or supplies, the price is going to go up and most of what comes into Alaska is transported somehow. It is amazing to me though, that the price of groceries go down somewhat in the winter, or at last seemed to last year, when the tourists were gone. The first thing that pops into my head was buying red bell peppers for about .79 each, which is unheard of just about anywhere I totally agree with the getting older and wanting the heat!!! I can give up a lot, but that is a necessity...

Old 10-23-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Did you see Wayne LaPierre on Fox this morning?
No. Don't have too much time to watch TV, except for a few minutes of the local news at 6:00 PM or so. What my wife and I do is to pick a few movies (DVD's), and watch one or two on our days off.

But we support the NRA and other organizations that are pro-gun, and for protecting the Second Amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska