Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 04:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Is there a cabin on your property or will you be building one this summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 05:03 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Is there a cabin on your property or will you be building one this summer?
Building one...I can definately get something up in under a few months, may not be too fancy or big though with things being a bit tight...

Old 03-29-2009, 05:05 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I'm getting there this year one way or another (unless I get killed or something like that). Even recently my savings for the trip has taken a slight hit but I'm going for it, thin budget for the move but what the heck, I have to I'll live off rice and beans all year. I figure I'll be better off than Vermont. Here, I'm in a much more precarious position as far as the economy goes: more dependant on the cash economy, I don't own any land, taxes are high, I live in a rented apartment, people close by...

Up in AK, I at least have my land, and no taxes to worry about (yet anyways, but good God if they tried statewide property taxes it'd be a disaster up there in some parts). I can grow enough to survive there even if it comes down to living off potatoes and peas. I've never not had a good crop of those and the climate there is great for them. Better hunting and fishing than Vermont has. All I need to keep my home (land) is less than $1600 a year. The fur market took a nose dive but making that much is still doable. I figure also I can probably find at least a little placer gold around there to help the budget too. As a last resort I know my family would be willing to lend me money to keep the land if I got that desperate (they've already offered to help without any asking when they realized my savings is a bit small these days, they're retired from state jobs so they've got income as long as the government is still around). So times may get quite lean (hey I could lose some weight anyways) but I think I'd rather be there than the lower 48, especially if things get real ugly...there are more bubbles to burst in the U.S., commercial real estate, credit cards, likely treasury bonds, maybe even the dollar or federal government itself if it keeps going...the isolation is a big benefit to Alaskans, live in less than half a day's drive of several major cities and you'll understand why I say that.

Besides all of which I'm going crazy here. People are getting more annoying, more selfish, more aggressive, more crime, as things get real bad here with so many lost jobs and the state cutting jobs and taxing everything it can (and wasting precious time in the legislature on things like homosexual marriage or global warming while the state crashes and burns)...I need to get out of here, to a true rural area!

There's a seed shortage down here with so many people planning to garden, anyone having trouble up there? Seed places all over are sold out or running low, and I've heard in some states seed potatoes are all out. Slightly off topic but not entirely...there better be some seed potato up there when I get there! Can't bring the potatoes I've always saved here.
Bravo!!! I love your spirit and survival instincts!!! you will make it as will we!! hope someday to cross paths with you. we are neighbors now...you VT, us Ma and all headed to Alaska for pretty much the same reasons!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:07 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Starlite can probably tell you exactly what you'll need.

You will probably not have computer access out there; if you like I'll give you my snail address in case you need anything next winter.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
Bravo!!! I love your spirit and survival instincts!!! you will make it as will we!! hope someday to cross paths with you. we are neighbors now...you VT, us Ma and all headed to Alaska for pretty much the same reasons!!!
Well I hope I make it!

VT is just Northern MA these days, but with better gun laws (for however long that lasts)...yep, I think we both have similar reasons for leaving!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Starlite can probably tell you exactly what you'll need.

You will probably not have computer access out there; if you like I'll give you my snail address in case you need anything next winter.
No I won't have net access except when I visit town (Manley, I've been told when classes aren't in session people can use the school's internet). But yeah I'd appreciate that, even if it becomes a bit tricky using email, you could PM it if you want to keep it private...

Umm edited to add: maybe I need glasses, snail address not email address.

Come to think of it that's something I wish I could do but I don't have the money right now; getting an internet connection and ability to use a computer there. It'll have to wait, I think I'll have to use satellite internet out there when I do get that.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
No I won't have net access except when I visit town (Manley, I've been told when classes aren't in session people can use the school's internet). But yeah I'd appreciate that, even if it becomes a bit tricky using email, you could PM it if you want to keep it private...

Umm edited to add: maybe I need glasses, snail address not email address.

Come to think of it that's something I wish I could do but I don't have the money right now; getting an internet connection and ability to use a computer there. It'll have to wait, I think I'll have to use satellite internet out there when I do get that.
certain cell phones can be used as a modem for satellite connection for you computer (laptop) I am fimilar with Blackberry phone set up as and it is reasonable price for the luxury of internet!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
certain cell phones can be used as a modem for satellite connection for you computer (laptop) I am fimilar with Blackberry phone set up as and it is reasonable price for the luxury of internet!!!
I don't believe a cell phone will work where I'll be...

Old 03-29-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I don't believe a cell phone will work where I'll be...
bummer!!! it is worth checking into as it is much cheaper and works better than the satellite dish hook up.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
bummer!!! it is worth checking into as it is much cheaper and works better than the satellite dish hook up.
Yeah, it would be better than satellite, I actually thought about it but I learned pretty quickly it wouldn't really work because of where my property is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska