Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:16 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
So you wouldn't have a real job right away...With everything that has been on this board..,knowing the prices to live in Sitka...I think I would regroup and look for another location in the lower 48...let go of the OCD with Alaska leaving your wife and family...Hold tight until the right time comes...this surely is not it unless you are willing to give up it all....
The position in Sitka includes housing although of what type I don't know. If its an apartment then I would be going up on my own. My wife would stay in NC. As for my family I haven't seen them in years so they aren't even a consideration. I'm not interested in the lower 48 Deb & even if I was there's no work available in my field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 07:18 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,250,164 times
Great posts Moose.

Barkley, Alaska tourism is promoted throughout the world now.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I have to go with Deb on this one and neither one of us wants to discourage you Barking, but unless it was a "for sure" job with a real good salary (and problem is there are no "for sure" jobs right now), I'd think it over very carefully. Economy is reallllllly shakey; how often would you be able to go home to visit your wife and family (expensive).

That's all right Pat I don't base my decisions on what I read here. Right now I have no options other than the jobs applied for up there. While your economy may be shakey, its dead here. So we'll wait & see and apply for more positions that become available.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Great posts Moose.

Barkley, Alaska tourism is promoted throughout the world now.
Ed have you seen that strange show called Alaska Survival? Its on the green channel I think.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:23 PM

Yes, I saw it when it was first out, almost a year ago. Not a bad show really, just some stupid people in it.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:42 PM

Even if you have a job lined up, be careful and be prepared for it to fall apart once you get here, or anywhere for that matter. There are no guarantees, none, nada, zilch. We moved up here with a job transfer in order, papers, the works. One week in, and it’s over, “we don’t have a place for you”. Sure, we could have fought for the job and won, but is it worth it? Would you work in a place that doesn’t want you, or hates that you are there? I think most would not. No money is worth it. This was Jan’s job, but she has moved on and is moving up quick.

Now, as time has gone on things were, and still are, tough. But they are looking up. Am I proud of what I’m doing now? No, but I do take pride in the work I do. That, I fine very rare in the US, very very rare. I moving on in the next couple weeks, better job, little better pay. I knew I would be starting over moving here, so I was prepared. I’m not too proud to do just about any type of work. Those that are, fail!

So anyway, there you have it, our story in a nutshell. Come on up, it’s great, but be prepared.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:37 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
That's all right Pat I don't base my decisions on what I read here. Right now I have no options other than the jobs applied for up there. While your economy may be shakey, its dead here. So we'll wait & see and apply for more positions that become available.
No I didn't think you based your decisions on what you read here; I was referring to the newspaper articles. Of course there is good, sound advice about employment up here by the ones living up here. Well if you have no options down there and it sounds like you are unhappy down there, go for it and have your wife join you when you are settled. I'm sorry, I thought you had kids at home. Was not at all wanting to discourage you; keep on applying as you said and before you know it, you'll be up here.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
So anyway, there you have it, our story in a nutshell. Come on up, it’s great, but be prepared.
I will be. Besides we still have to get together for lunch. I'll have an open ended flight just in case.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
No I didn't think you based your decisions on what you read here; I was referring to the newspaper articles. Of course there is good, sound advice about employment up here by the ones living up here. Well if you have no options down there and it sounds like you are unhappy down there, go for it and have your wife join you when you are settled. I'm sorry, I thought you had kids at home. Was not at all wanting to discourage you; keep on applying as you said and before you know it, you'll be up here.
No need to be sorry Pat. You were just looking out for a CD member. I appreciate that. We have kids that are grown & gone & out on their own. My wife and I have a miniature poodle. He would stay down south with my wife. We aren't just going to dump everything we have and move up because we still know nothing about the job, or the employer, or the conditions, or the pay. I don't even know if its offered to me whether I'll like doing it. In the case of Sitka the housing is horribly expensive. I was there briefly last year. I'm not going to do something foolish. But thanks for watching out for me.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:14 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
No need to be sorry Pat. You were just looking out for a CD member. I appreciate that. We have kids that are grown & gone & out on their own. My wife and I have a miniature poodle. He would stay down south with my wife. We aren't just going to dump everything we have and move up because we still know nothing about the job, or the employer, or the conditions, or the pay. I don't even know if its offered to me whether I'll like doing it. In the case of Sitka the housing is horribly expensive. I was there briefly last year. I'm not going to do something foolish. But thanks for watching out for me.
Your welcome, and it sounds like you've got it pretty well planned out. BTW, we watched the movie "The Proposal" last night. Now I wannnnnnnnnna move to Sitka. LOL, just kidding, I know the movie was filmed in Mass. Really good movie; I liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska