Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 07:25 PM

11 posts, read 48,922 times

Advertisements

I am looking for suggestions as to which area would be better suited for a short vacation during the month of October (2-3 nights). Since it is fall so any water activities, or the lack of, would not be a factor. Having said that, we would like to consider taking a steam boat cruise on the lake if it is still available. Other activities we would be interested in include hiking, foliage viewing, historical sites or just strolling around some quaint little towns.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 08:03 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
To be honest, it seems like a matter of which one do you prefer. What about Ticonderoga, which actually touches both lakes and has the quaint village(actually a former village in terms of government), with the historical sites you are looking for?

Ticonderoga Area Chamber of Commerce

Tourist Attractions New York, War & Battle Reenactment, Family Vacations Ideas

Town of Ticonderoga

Ticonderoga (hamlet), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds like a perfect choice.......

Old 09-10-2011, 09:09 PM

506 posts, read 1,025,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteus325 View Post
I am looking for suggestions as to which area would be better suited for a short vacation during the month of October (2-3 nights). Since it is fall so any water activities, or the lack of, would not be a factor. Having said that, we would like to consider taking a steam boat cruise on the lake if it is still available. Other activities we would be interested in include hiking, foliage viewing, historical sites or just strolling around some quaint little towns.

TIA
I would start in Lake George Village. Here is a link to the Lake George Steamboat Company's website:

Lake George Steamboat Company : Lake George Steamboat Company

Then you can drive up Route 9N through Bolton Landing and if you are up for a long strenuous hike you can hike the Tongue Mountain Range that takes you up and over a couple of peaks and down to the shore of the lake, then you can loop back along the shore of the lake if you don't want to climb the peaks again.

From there, you can head north again on 9N to Ticonderoga and check out the historical sites.

Or, if you wanted to finish off with the boat ride in Lake George, you could do it in reverse.

There are also many less strenuous hiking trails available. Check out the ADK site:

Hiking_Page (http://www.adk.org/trails/Hiking_Page.aspx - broken link)

Have fun!

Old 09-10-2011, 10:35 PM

11 posts, read 48,922 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure if we are up to any hiking that's too long or strenous since we have a 14-month baby in tow. Btw, how difficult is the hiking around Ausable Chasm and which town is it close by? At the moment we like Westport which seems to be a nice place for our base. I will look into Ticonderoga and see.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:27 AM

506 posts, read 1,025,268 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure if we are up to any hiking that's too long or strenous since we have a 14-month baby in tow. Btw, how difficult is the hiking around Ausable Chasm and which town is it close by? At the moment we like Westport which seems to be a nice place for our base. I will look into Ticonderoga and see.
I am not sure about the hiking at Ausable Chasm, but it is about 20 minutes from Plattsburg. It is about an hour from Lake Placid. The elevator ride to the top of the ski jumps near Lake Placid is pretty cool. There is also a road you can drive up to the top of Whiteface Mountain.

Whiteface Lake Placid Summer Activities

Old 09-17-2011, 07:38 AM

396 posts, read 604,275 times
Quote:
Well me, my wife and our 8 year old grandson were just there (2 weeks before the hurricane) and had a wonderful time. There are several walking paths from which to choose from, and many parts are push cart friendly.

I say do it, as part of your Fort Ticonderoga, Lake George, Ausble, Ferry Crossing over to Burlington, then drive back down to the Fort area, and great 3 days to be had by all.

We did the Fort, and Lake George ride last year and had a great time, albeit short and a bit lacks in the area of things to do, as many attractions are closed by this time, but a beautiful ride.

The Fort is open, as is the Chasm, there are a few local parks to relax in, and the Burlington area has a tin of stuff to do.

If time allows, to the Ben & Jerry's tour, Chabot, and Cold Hollow Cider stops. These are about 22 miles outside of Burlington, but a great way to spend a half day. Yes, we've done this tour several times with friends and family. We stay at Black Bear Inn, which is in Boulton, and a great place.

Skip

Old 09-21-2011, 07:18 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
I believe that Keeseville is the closest community to AuSable Chasm. Perhaps Clintonville too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area