Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 09:29 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

New Scotland Elementary in Albany has Pre K and has solid ratings as the "best" elementary school in the district. It is in a nice area and the school is very diverse. So, that area of the city may be an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 11:44 AM

33 posts, read 37,971 times
Thank you. I have been researching everyone's suggestions as we get closer. To try and beat the snow we will be arriving the beginning of October. I am not going to lie- everytime I tell someone where we are moving they talk about how cold it is and I am starting to feel unprepared for it. We have never lived where there is snow and at the risk of sounding like an idiot, I'm gonna throw this question out there- what are some of your winter essentials? I know we need heavy coats, hats, gloves etc, but are there items that I might not know about coming from never living in the areas.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:35 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop1231 View Post
Thank you. I have been researching everyone's suggestions as we get closer. To try and beat the snow we will be arriving the beginning of October. I am not going to lie- everytime I tell someone where we are moving they talk about how cold it is and I am starting to feel unprepared for it. We have never lived where there is snow and at the risk of sounding like an idiot, I'm gonna throw this question out there- what are some of your winter essentials? I know we need heavy coats, hats, gloves etc, but are there items that I might not know about coming from never living in the areas.
Besides the clothing, look into getting at least all season tires for the vehicle(s). Perhaps get snow tires just to make sure.

Life will still go on during the winter, as municipalities have the equipment in order to remove the snow.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:50 PM

Thanks. We plan on getting snow tires shortly after we arrive. Good to hear life doesn't stop due to the snow. Not sure if yall remember Atlanta's snow "disaster" in 2014- we were here for that and it was a hot mess lol. Of course snow isn't a regular occurrence here.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,984 times
For some perspective, we just rented a house in Loudonville for $1700 and in the past have also rented a house in Latham for $1400. Both are 3 bedrooms built in the 1960s but recently upgraded on the interiors. Both were found on Craigslist.

Our 5 y/o son loves the snow, so a snowsuit (as opposed to just a jacket) is a must. Lots of good sledding hills around. Keep a shovel in your car trunk incase you get snowed into a parking spot. Lots of folks have snowblowers to clear their driveway quickly. We do the old fashioned shoveling for our winter exercise.

Our PreK experience was private - a small montessori program, if you want to know at all about that.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:42 AM

35 posts, read 68,667 times
Quote:
I feel sorry for you if you've never lived anywhere where there is snow and you're moving here. Good luck. There will be days when you can't leave your house because it is so cold. I'm from the area and I still am not use to it.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightNSunny View Post
I feel sorry for you if you've never lived anywhere where there is snow and you're moving here. Good luck. There will be days when you can't leave your house because it is so cold. I'm from the area and I still am not use to it.
Yeah I know it will be quite a shock. But since this isn't a permanent move- only 3 years- I am pretty excited about experiencing somewhere totally different.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg123 View Post
For some perspective, we just rented a house in Loudonville for $1700 and in the past have also rented a house in Latham for $1400. Both are 3 bedrooms built in the 1960s but recently upgraded on the interiors. Both were found on Craigslist.

Our 5 y/o son loves the snow, so a snowsuit (as opposed to just a jacket) is a must. Lots of good sledding hills around. Keep a shovel in your car trunk incase you get snowed into a parking spot. Lots of folks have snowblowers to clear their driveway quickly. We do the old fashioned shoveling for our winter exercise.

Our PreK experience was private - a small montessori program, if you want to know at all about that.
Thank you- I would have never thought about a shovel in the trunk. And I am interested in info on the montessori school, esp the cost. There is one where we are now, but for a half day prek program it is $1200 a month.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:45 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times
Quote:
Boots, You definitely will need waterproof boots that have a removable liner for drying overnight, gripping tread, and that are high enough to put the bottom of your pant leg in. (I always hate how my dress pants look after I had them in my boots.) The reason the liner needs to be removable in waterproof boots is that inevitable you will step in snow deeper than your boots are tall and your body heat will melt the snow that got into your boot. (Your first few times driving while wearing these boots should be interesting.)

Men

Also, fleece-lined jeans and a large canvass shirt are helpful. Gloves preferably should extend well beyond your wrist, have a waterproof outside, and a removable inner fleece lining so you can dry them in your office after you get them wet clearing your car from snow. (BTW, please clean the top of your car, SUV from snow since when you drive the snow will slide from your roof possible blinding the driver behind you. Be sure that your brake lights including third brake light are free from snow.)

Old 08-11-2015, 02:40 PM

128 posts, read 168,505 times
Quote:
Coming from Atlanta, and having never lived in a cold climate before, you are in for a serious shock. Albany winters are very long, very cold, very gray, and very depressing. The worst part for us was the constant cloudy, gray, gloomy skies for 6 months out of the year from about mid October to about mid April. It's beyond depressing.

You are also going to discover that the people there are nowhere near as happy, friendly, and outgoing as they are in Atlanta.

Fortunately for you, this will be a temporary assignment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area