Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the UNM vs. NMSU game?
UNM- They're due. 1 33.33%
NMSU- UNM's _that_ bad. 1 33.33%
Neither- They'll find a way to tie.. at ZERO. 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,145 times

Advertisements

Cut the coaches pay & give it to the team for better training/team building skills/recruitment - that dude is being paid wayyyy too much for a very poor performance, but then again so are many of the upper management...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 07:22 PM

366 posts, read 1,247,916 times
It's easy to say he's getting paid too much. But the reality is you get what you pay for. He's one of the lower paid coaches in division 1. You're not going to get a proven coach to come here for what he's making.

Here's how much every Div. 1 coach made last year to give you an idea...

Analyzing salaries for Football Bowl Subdivision coaches - USATODAY.com

Old 11-02-2010, 08:04 PM

17 posts, read 32,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName958 View Post
KU does a good job getting students to games. Their average attendance is something like 40,000 per game. And that's in a small college town where the students outnumber the rest of the population.

That said, we were never quite as bad as UNM. You guys are dead last in division 1
Past tense...were. I have a lot of respect for the jayhawks, I know a lot of friends who go there and love it. KU gives me hope that UNM can rise to have a great program if we hire a good coach. We are certainly the worst team in division one football, but I would not brag about KU this year either.

Also, I saw the Aggie/jayhawk game and I would bet my car there was not 40,000 people there. They need to get rid of that track too, if the team is really averaging 40,000 im sure they can afford to build a small track facility somewhere and build some stands.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:44 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
Quote:
It's easy to say he's getting paid too much. But the reality is you get what you pay for. He's one of the lower paid coaches in division 1. You're not going to get a proven coach to come here for what he's making.

Here's how much every Div. 1 coach made last year to give you an idea...

Analyzing salaries for Football Bowl Subdivision coaches - USATODAY.com
Excellent article, but it reinforces what a rip-off this guy has been; consistently losing to coaches who get paid half what he does.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestx2010 View Post
Past tense...were. I have a lot of respect for the jayhawks, I know a lot of friends who go there and love it. KU gives me hope that UNM can rise to have a great program if we hire a good coach. We are certainly the worst team in division one football, but I would not brag about KU this year either.

Also, I saw the Aggie/jayhawk game and I would bet my car there was not 40,000 people there. They need to get rid of that track too, if the team is really averaging 40,000 im sure they can afford to build a small track facility somewhere and build some stands.
They're definitely having a bad year. Mostly due to a coaching change. But they still managed to blow out New Mexico State, so they're well ahead of UNM. Hopefully, they'll rebound next year once the players know the new system better.

Which brings up the point, Mark Mangino is probably available for UNM. Good coach. As long as you're not worried about your players getting their feelings hurt.

As for KU's attendance, I know they averaged over 40,000 last year, which was also a losing year. I haven't seen anything on this year's attendance. Certain games pull their numbers up. K-State, Missouri and Nebraska always sell out. Also, they hold the KU/MU game at Arrowhead. Every other year that counts as a home game, which helps their attendance numbers. Arrowhead is just a hair under 80,000 seat.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:36 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,987,545 times
Quote:
99% of basketball fans are probably football fans too. Fair weather fans. But fans all the same.

KU went from Big 12 doormat to winning a BCS bowl game, which is pretty impressive for a basketball school. Part of turning a program is getting people to games to support your team.

You want to keep things the way they are. You'll probably get your wish. One of those things will be an embarrassingly bad football team
99%? Maybe fewer, like 80%.... I know a ton of people who refuse to go to a Lobo game, even when they were winning.

My opinion: UNM has a tiny little football stadium for a school it's size, the problem no one can fill up the stands regardless... what can we do 5 dollar games? I guess you can say UNM is a mixed bag for the sports it favors. Like Basketball, the students and fans have always favored basketball just a tad more.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
99%? Maybe fewer, like 80%.... I know a ton of people who refuse to go to a Lobo game, even when they were winning.

My opinion: UNM has a tiny little football stadium for a school it's size, the problem no one can fill up the stands regardless... what can we do 5 dollar games? I guess you can say UNM is a mixed bag for the sports it favors. Like Basketball, the students and fans have always favored basketball just a tad more.
I've never known a basketball fan that didn't also like football in general. But the level of interest can be quite different.

Kansas fans are also much more passionate about basketball. We've been known to camp out up to three weeks to get better seats at basketball games.

The reason it's important to get people to games, especially students, is it pumps up the team and helps with recruiting. If a kid comes for his visit and sees a full stadium, that makes an impression.

I'm not sure how much UNM charges for student tickets, but they'd be better off giving student tickets away than playing to nearly empty stadiums.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:47 PM

17 posts, read 32,465 times
Im under the impression tickets are free...what university does not give away tickets for free to students!?

UNM has NEVER had a strong football program, EVER. With winning comes fans. UNM had a good streak with Rocky Long but 8-4 was as high as he got. During those years they averaged over 37,000 to a stadium with 40,000 seats. not bad.

With the size of ABQ, with Santa fe being less then an hour away, coupled with the fact that NM has no major sports, we should be able to get over 50,000 to football games. However, can you blame people for not wanting to go to a football game when they are 1-17 over two years!?

UNM fans are great, i visited last year around this time and went to a soccer game, there was 4,000 people there! They have the top 10 fans in basketball, and their girl bball games averaged over 10,000 last year. You know why? These programs win and the students and ABQ citizens will show up for that.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:07 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,987,545 times
Quote:
I've never known a basketball fan that didn't also like football in general. But the level of interest can be quite different.

Kansas fans are also much more passionate about basketball. We've been known to camp out up to three weeks to get better seats at basketball games.

The reason it's important to get people to games, especially students, is it pumps up the team and helps with recruiting. If a kid comes for his visit and sees a full stadium, that makes an impression.

I'm not sure how much UNM charges for student tickets, but they'd be better off giving student tickets away than playing to nearly empty stadiums.
Well you know the first one I guess. I can not stand the way the UNM football program has been run, nor do I like the stadium very much.

New Mexico fans are much passionate with basketball too, and thanks to a REduction to the capacity of the arena it will be a living nightmare unless you are a season ticket holder. Which is bad for the students too, the student section is not very big.

As far as pumping up the team? you can have a sold out lobo game this weekend and they would probably still lose, and get pounded.... so I disagree to a certain extent. And I'm not sure if Football tickets are free for students.... they should be!

Old 11-09-2010, 07:20 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
While all this election baloney was going on, UNM actually won their first game against Wyoming.

Have they turned the corner? Or did 2-8 Wyoming feel sorry for UNM?

I think it's probably just that Wyoming is just as bad as UNM but they just had an easier schedule. Wyoming's wins (never by more than 8 points) were against Southern Utah and U of Toledo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque