Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the UNM vs. NMSU game?
UNM- They're due. 1 33.33%
NMSU- UNM's _that_ bad. 1 33.33%
Neither- They'll find a way to tie.. at ZERO. 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:42 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,749,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName958 View Post
The reality is no one cares about soccer or track in the United States.
111.6 Million viewers in the USA watched 6 minutes or more of the last world cup. That's at least 6 minutes more than I watched of the last Superbowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Cricket is stupid too.
There's what? Three countries that take it seriously.
There are 19 countries who take it seriously (or serious enough to compete to have qualified to World Cup Finals)

But still that is 18 more than American football!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:48 PM

366 posts, read 1,249,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
111.6 Million viewers in the USA watched 6 minutes or more of the last world cup. That's at least 6 minutes more than I watched of the last Superbowl.
6 whole minutes? Like I said, no one cares. Even then, the world cup is a curiosity like the olympics. People will take a peak every four years. But neither are anywhere near being mainstream sports.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:26 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,110,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes
There are 19 countries who take it seriously!
19? OK, which ones other than UK, Pakistan and India?
Educate me. My mind is always expanding.

BTW, I was attaching significance to cricket since those three
are a potential audience about 4x larger than the US audience
for American football - which IS significant also.

Interestingly, the Super Bowl has spawned an entire audience
that ONLY watches the game for the commercials! I know people
who record the whole thing and fast-forward through the boring
football parts, but watch each and every commercial.

Can the friggin' World Cup say that? Huh? Huh?
------------------------ I think NOT! < Snort! >

Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 AM

I was wrong, there are 43 countries which take the sport serious enough to field a national team which play in international tournaments.

The top ten teams in the world are eligible to play Test cricket which lasts over a period of a few days and include "the ashes"

England (includes Wales but not UK)
Australia
South Africa
Sri Lanka
Pakistan
India
West Indies
New Zealand
Bangladesh
Zimbabwe

38 other teams compete in the World Cricket League which feature one day tournaments.

Afghanistan, Canada, Ireland, Kenya, Netherlands, Scotland, United Arab Emirates, Namibia, Bermuda, Uganda, Oman, Denmark, Papua New Guinea, Hong Kong, Italy, Nepal, Tanzania, Cayman Islands, Argentina, Bahrain, Singapore, Jersey (not NJ), Fiji, Guernsey, Malaysia, Botswana, Norway, Nigeria, Japan, Suriname, Gibraltar, Bahamas, Bhutan, Germany, Kuwait, Vanuata, Zambia and of course the good old USA.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:42 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,452,763 times
In related news, the UNM Spirit band (marching band) can't afford to maintain their instruments or pay travelling cost to the games for the musicians.

I heard them practicing a few weeks ago outside near Popejoy Hall. They sounded great, it's too bad. UNM throws money at things that suck and starves out things that are successful.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:30 PM

3,435 posts, read 7,002,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In related news, the UNM Spirit band (marching band) can't afford to maintain their instruments or pay travelling cost to the games for the musicians.

I heard them practicing a few weeks ago outside near Popejoy Hall. They sounded great, it's too bad. UNM throws money at things that suck and starves out things that are successful.
How sad.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:07 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,206,480 times
Quote:
Aren't musicians supposed to be experts at crashing 20-to-an-apartment, sleeping outside, and going without food for days on end? Not making it to Eugene OR is one thing, but too poor to get to Cruces? I find that amazing.

Quote:
Until people buy tickets to UNM band performances with a football game taking place in the background, that's how the money works. Nothing's stopping the band from making their own concert performance to fundraise, is there?

Old 10-13-2010, 12:55 PM

350 posts, read 770,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName958 View Post
And the NFL probably doesn't get much coverage in foreign press. The reality is no one cares about soccer or track in the United States. And that's the country you happen to live in. If you want 24/7 soccer coverage, you might have to move to Brazil.
I think the central issue is still athlete quality - that was my point. Just because they're not on TV, or aren't participating in a spectator sport, doesn't mean they're not NCAA Division I athletes currently ranked in the top 10 nationally - that's not easy. They deserve a lot of respect whether we see them on the news or not. It's weird how people who consider themselves "sports fans" only really understand or like three sports.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:02 PM

9,384 posts, read 20,873,630 times
Quote:

In a very real sense, UNMs actions mirror those of the federal government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque