Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:51 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not drug companies. The idea that they wield direct power over docs is made up b.s.

Press Ganey is who we all have to bow down to if we work in a hospital environment.

I will never give up. I just want you to understand the pressure people are under.
I don't know where you live but agree with the other poster that there is definitely a market for doctors such as yourself.

It is probably a niche market, but it is a market.

And just trying to imagine scenarios where someone comes in with "x" symptoms and wants medications that you know can be better treated with lifestyle modifications. When you advise "eat this, do this," what is the response? If you KNOW that your methods are better, why would you cave in? I don't know who Press Ganey is or what power he/she has or how it is wielded. It would be informative to know "from the horse's mouth."

Can you set up a private practice where you can practice your way? I guess whenever we (and I include myself) decide to work for corporations we give up something of ourselves and our integrity.

As for drug companies not having impact - I know that is not true just from simple observations - the sexy drug reps with their huge cases of samples visiting doctors - the doctors with said samples all over their offices - when you visit the doctors they "generously" offer you the samples. I worked in a hospital office environment and had a doctor literally walk by the door and throw a box of samples at me as a "gift."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
How would you go about diagnosing and healing an invasive cancer? High blood pressure? A horribly painful fibroid tumor (if you're a woman), or something like colitis?
I don't think you're really open to being educated and I am not going to attempt to do the job. If you are truly interested, there is a ton of information out there - there are natural remedies for every malady. Diet is crucial - living a clean, healthy lifestyle is crucial.

To get back to the original OP: Your body does all of the healing, if any healing is to be had.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:09 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Who is Press Ganey? According to their web site, they're a consulting firm to health care organizations. Their stated goal is: "Press Ganey provides both ongoing advisory services and consulting in all phases of performance improvement."

This fits in with Dr. Stan's comment in a previous post, "And my whole job and being allowed to exist and work is directly tied to customer service numbers."

It seems it's all about improving performance (seeing more patients) and increasing profitability for health care providers...very little about patient satisfaction or healthy outcomes...corporate healthcare is the new norm for the healing profession.

The only out for a doctor is a private practice where a healer can practice their own kind of medicine not tied to Press Ganey performance numbers. And, of course, that's very pricey for a doctor to do--especially if just out of med school with huge educational debt to re-pay.

Pharmaceutical companies start influencing doctors in med school..and it accelerates after graduation with ample wining/dining/gifting budgets to woo doctors to write scripts for their brand. A broccoli or kale grower has no chance to compete!

Old 08-18-2013, 11:42 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Just because samples are being bandied about and you have seen a sexy sales rep does not mean most docs do not adhere to Sanford guidelines or current accepted first line treatment (despite what is new and fancy).

I have seen a bazillion reps, have pens, etc (they are no longer allowed to give gifts and have not been for a decade or so), and it makes zero difference. Not using guidelines can be indefensible. Maybe a bad apple or two cut some deal with someone, but the stories overall are completely overinflated and specious.

Please spare me your stories of what you think goes on in med schools.

Press Ganey and Studer and the like are all about increasing patient satisfaction (customer service) and tracking everything everyone does in that vein. Not about good/appropriate medicine.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Why Rating Your Doctor Is Bad For Your Health - Forbes

How patient satisfaction can kill

Old 08-18-2013, 12:38 PM

I've read the two articles. Enlightening. All the more reason for those of us so inclined to seek out the services of alternative and/or naturopathic doctors not tied to the patient satisfaction model developed by the Press Ganeys of the world.

Many of us (consumers of medical care) rank customer satisfaction utilizing different criteria than the one portrayed in those articles as being over-prescribed medications and sent for an ever-increasing number of tests or procedures--many unnecessary.

My personal patient satisfaction is 180 degrees from that model.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Just because samples are being bandied about and you have seen a sexy sales rep does not mean most docs do not adhere to Sanford guidelines or current accepted first line treatment (despite what is new and fancy).

I have seen a bazillion reps, have pens, etc (they are no longer allowed to give gifts and have not been for a decade or so), and it makes zero difference. Not using guidelines can be indefensible. Maybe a bad apple or two cut some deal with someone, but the stories overall are completely overinflated and specious.

Please spare me your stories of what you think goes on in med schools.

Press Ganey and Studer and the like are all about increasing patient satisfaction (customer service) and tracking everything everyone does in that vein. Not about good/appropriate medicine.
Why do you think there is such a prescription drug problem in the United States? Does it have anything to do with doctors?

When prescribing extremely addictive drugs, do doctors routinely screen for alcoholism and then do they monitor usage? WHY do they prescribe (and overprescribe) so many intensely addictive drugs and then fail to monitor usage?

My grandson had an appendectomy in high school and was given an outrageous RX of Vicodin. I don't think that was a prudent or good idea. Another relative, an alcoholic, was put on Effexor . . . I wanted to scream at the sheer stupidity. These may be anecdotal, but they are not rare cases as the booming drug profits will tell you.

And don't tell me no doctors are influenced by sexy reps and their shenanigans. Why do you think they have to be so damn sexy? Why don't they hire ugly fat reps?

Old 08-18-2013, 12:56 PM

As to the claim that you "have to do it" because of Press Ganey, you are basically saying that you have sold out.

If you know the patient is wrong, then stick up for what you know is right or get another job where people won't be hurt by your collusion with drug companies (and if the patient is demanding drugs and you are giving in against your better judgment you are colluding and not practicing good medicine and I trust you know this but are doing it anyway - unacceptable!)

Old 08-18-2013, 01:01 PM

imcurious, you raise good points. But we must keep in mind that the other poster says he practices Western medicine. And though he's stated complaints about the way he's forced to practice re Press Ganey and others, has stated his patients demand the latest technology instead of alternative methods, and claims no undue influence from the pharmaceutical reps plying him and other drs. with free samples, we've not yet heard about his solutions for his complaints...and for we alternative medical patients who wish for a different method of more gentle and effective natural medicine.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Do you think/feel you have a better understanding of your body and its heath than a doctor? Do you turn to alternative, herbs, diet, nutrition or supplements before seeking out a doctor's visit? If you doctor yourself, how has that worked out?
Based SOLELY upon my previous experiences with doctors *and* stories that I have heard from other people, I would have to answer this a RESOUNDING yes!

Overwhelmingly, and in virtually every instance, it is obvious that doctors don't have a very good idea of what they are doing. Oh yes, there are the ones who can stitch you up, sure; and there are doctors who specialize in such things as lung transplants, orthopedics, etc. who do ONE THING well. But in the main, most doctors are clueless when it comes to diagnostics if the problems is not readily apparent.

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard stories about doctors who say something like "oh, let's try this and see how it works", or order 15 different kinds of tests to try to determine what the problem is. It's just one big experimental crap shoot and I know one lady in particular who has been seeing doctors for THREE YEARS and they still cannot figure out what is causing her periodic blackouts and dizzy spells.

For some things, doctors are good. If you are broken or bleeding they do a fair job. (Assuming of course that you don't get some vicious staph infection while you are in the clinic/hospital getting stitched). And OCCASIONALLY a round of antibiotic is necessary. They are good for rabies and tetanus and a few other usually-fatal diseases. But for anything and everything else, I stay as far away as possible.

Learning as much as you can about health care is the single most important thing a person can do for themselves and their family. IMHO

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine