Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 11:26 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
So not only is, "We are living longer, healthier lives." a big lie but "Early detection saves lives." is also a bunch of you know what! All cancer is are damaged cells period! If left alone it might even go away on its own. It is the TREATMENT that kills -- not the cancer.
Average life expectancy in the US has increased remarkably in what amounts to a blink of an eye. That is not due to eating raw veggies.

People are retiring in droves to communities that have the recreational and intellectual amenities they want: tennis, golf, the arts, colleges with courses they can take for fun.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/reale...175_story.html

Not all cancers are the same. Some are virtually 100% curable, and, yes, the stage at which it is identified is important. The idea that treatment for cancer, not the disease, kills people is the big lie. The millions of people who have been treated and survive with no evidence of disease are living proof that treatment works.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:46 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I agree - people may be living longer but I don't necessarily think they are living healthier lives.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2011 shortly after my husband died. I chose a double mastectomy (thank goodness insurance pays for reconstruction) but refused chemotherapy. The first oncologist told me "if you don't take the chemo and the cancer comes back you will die". Great bedside manner. I got the impression he got a prize at the end of the month for all the patients he gave chemo to.

I got a different oncologist who wanted me to take tamoxifen which kills all the female hormones as one of my cancers was HER positive. I refused as I had already been through menopause and was miserable enough with hot flashes without killing the rest of my female hormones. I'm sure I was classified as a non-compliant patient. Jump forward 5 years; I am still doing fine and have been released from having to go back. Would I have had the same outcome if I poisoned my body with chemo? Maybe or maybe the chemo would have made me so sick I would have died of some other complication. I know my husband was diagnosed with cancer but he didn't get deadly sick until he started chemo. I personally don't know anybody who has survived cancer with chemotherapy. Not one person whether they were in the 40's or 70's.

I do know two people who survived cancer by going the holistic route. Cancer is a big money maker for doctors and hospitals which is why I don't believe we will ever have a cure for cancer. I have had too many complications in the last 15 years from meds doctors have prescribed and a serious complication from having my thyroid removed 3 years ago to ever trust a doctor again.
I agree cancer is a huge business and can anyone imagine how many would lose jobs if there was a real CURE. I've thought this for years and how about the 50+ years of the research to "find the cure"...ummm

I'm banking on my OPC's.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I agree - people may be living longer but I don't necessarily think they are living healthier lives.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2011 shortly after my husband died. I chose a double mastectomy (thank goodness insurance pays for reconstruction) but refused chemotherapy. The first oncologist told me "if you don't take the chemo and the cancer comes back you will die". Great bedside manner. I got the impression he got a prize at the end of the month for all the patients he gave chemo to.

I got a different oncologist who wanted me to take tamoxifen which kills all the female hormones as one of my cancers was HER positive. I refused as I had already been through menopause and was miserable enough with hot flashes without killing the rest of my female hormones. I'm sure I was classified as a non-compliant patient. Jump forward 5 years; I am still doing fine and have been released from having to go back. Would I have had the same outcome if I poisoned my body with chemo? Maybe or maybe the chemo would have made me so sick I would have died of some other complication. I know my husband was diagnosed with cancer but he didn't get deadly sick until he started chemo. I personally don't know anybody who has survived cancer with chemotherapy. Not one person whether they were in the 40's or 70's.

I do know two people who survived cancer by going the holistic route. Cancer is a big money maker for doctors and hospitals which is why I don't believe we will ever have a cure for cancer. I have had too many complications in the last 15 years from meds doctors have prescribed and a serious complication from having my thyroid removed 3 years ago to ever trust a doctor again.
There is a difference between chemo used for cure, such as with leukemia or testicular cancer, and chemo used as additional treatment to reduce the risk of recurrence. You may never have a recurrence, depending on the stage of your tumor, especially since the surgical treatment you had is actually a bit radical by today's standards. If you do not have a recurrence, it will be because the surgery cured you, and I certainly hope that is the case.

You probably know many people who have survived cancer with chemotherapy. They just have not discussed it with you.

There are plenty of diseases that were formerly big moneymakers but no longer are, TB and polio for example. A cure was found for TB and polio was eliminated in the US with the vaccine. When cures are found, people just move on to something else to research. Why on earth would someone want to hide a cure for any cancer, which such a cure might benefit himself or someone in his family?

If by "going the holistic route" you mean no conventional treatment whatsoever, then I would frankly doubt the diagnosis of cancer. Some people are told they have a suspicious finding on a test and never actually have the diagnosis confirmed. They may be told they have a "spot on the lung" and assume it is cancer when it was really benign or "you have a tumor" and assume it was cancer when not all tumors are malignant.

I am sorry your experiences with doctors have been less than satisfactory but that is hardly a reason to distrust all doctors. May I assume that if you broke your wrist you would not want to see an orthopedist for it?

I can trade anecdotes with you, if you like. I have a son who is a 27 year survivor of leukemia, treated with chemo. My MIL has had breast cancer, treated with lumpectomy and radiation, long enough ago I do not remember how many years it's been. She has also had an early malignant melanoma on her wrist which was removed several years ago and has had no recurrence. DH had a very early melanoma removed from his face; it is unlikely to recur. I have an aunt who is a long term breast cancer survivor and a cousin who is a long term colon cancer survivor. A former colleague has a son who is a long term neuroblastoma survivor.

Do people have complications from cancer treatment? Yes. Can they have recurrences? Yes, even many years later, though often that is not so much a recurrence as it is a new episode of a cancer to which the patient is predisposed. Can someone develop a cancer that was perhaps a risk of previous treatment? Yes, though it is uncommon.

http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/con...spc-042801.pdf

"Nearly 14.5 million children and adults with a history of cancer were alive on January 1, 2014, in the United States."

"The majority of cancer survivors (64%) were diagnosed 5 or more years ago, and 15% were diagnosed 20 or more years ago ... Nearly half (46%) of cancer survivors are 70 years of age or older, while only 5% are younger than 40 years."

The fact remains that millions of people have been successfully treated for cancer, an estimated 19 million by 2024.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I agree cancer is a huge business and can anyone imagine how many would lose jobs if there was a real CURE. I've thought this for years and how about the 50+ years of the research to "find the cure"...ummm

I'm banking on my OPC's.
Since there are millions of cancer survivors alive in the US, many of them surviving long enough to be considered cured, treatment is working.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:09 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Just a quick definition of "holistic"

"...characterized by the treatment of the whole person, taking into account mental and social factors, rather than just the physical symptoms of a disease."

Few, if any, posters in Alternative Medicine--or complementary or integrative (probably better terms for it) advocate throwing away mainstream medicine. They discuss alternative methods to prevent illness in the first place or as a substitute for some dangerous prescription drugs. They might take herbs for a cold or supplements for an allergy. They might believe in boosting their immunity while getting cancer treatment. They believe in a healthy diet. And so on. This is a discussion group for all these kinds of different methods.

Example: I have a friend who was cured of ovarian cancer by chemo. Everyone else in her support group died but for some reason she is still alive twenty years later!

Also, when I was going to acupuncture, the excellent acupunturist, who worked with mainstream doctors, had a lung cancer patient whom they had kept alive for years after she should have been dead.

As we keep saying over and over, we need the best of both modalities. Just because mainstream works pretty well, doesn't mean new, different, unproven, old fashioned, or even silly sounding methods should be thrown out the window. Keep an open mind. (Back to the scheduled programming)

Old 05-17-2016, 05:08 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Good for you! You know, it turns out according to pathologists who discover cancer during autopsies of people who didn't even know they had cancer that 30 to 40 times as many people walking around have cancer and live out their lives and die from something else!

So not only is, "We are living longer, healthier lives." a big lie but "Early detection saves lives." is also a bunch of you know what! All cancer is are damaged cells period! If left alone it might even go away on its own. It is the TREATMENT that kills -- not the cancer.
Wrong.....that's not ALL cancer, any cancer, is....

If you don't think early detection saves lives I don't know what else to say, that is just wrong on so many levels and you clearly DON'T understand what cancer is or the stages most solid tumors pass through..

While there may not be an overarching cure for ALL cancers modern medicine has "cured" many cancers most notably in the pediatric realm...

If you don't understand how many thousands of children are alive today SOLELY BECAUSE OF CHEMOTHERAPY and other advances in medicine, again you are just being blind to FACTS

As for Cancer "not killing people" that would be laughable if it weren't so ignorant and malicious...

People die every day from cancer....NOT from the treatments....

Maybe you have never seen someone with a Stage IV cancer detected at that stage....most of those folks don't last long and they only "treatment" they are receiving is palliative...

Old 05-21-2016, 07:25 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Where are the people today who are living this long? I'm sure someone must be interested in doing that. Kind of convenient that it supposedly only happened in the way long gone era that cannot be checked.

My take on the longevity written about in the Bible is because their years aren't the same as our years. Just a guess but I seriously doubt humans went from living 1000 years to living less than a tenth of that just because of our diets. A year to them might be an actual month.

I have an interesting cookbook called "What Would Jesus Eat?" There is no processed food in there.

I'm not a doctor but I'm pretty sure that if people stopped eating junk food, sodas, bad carbs, smoking, drinking too much alcohol and not getting enough sleep they would all be healthier. As for immunizations how many children and adults died before the vaccines for whooping cough, tetanus, polio, etc.? Yes it's the current thing to blame vaccines but 100 years ago many children died from disease that we have mostly eradicated.

Diet, stress, smoking, inactivity and too many prescriptions are the real culprits.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I'm not a doctor but I'm pretty sure that if people stopped eating junk food, sodas, bad carbs, smoking, drinking too much alcohol and not getting enough sleep they would all be healthier. As for immunizations how many children and adults died before the vaccines for whooping cough, tetanus, polio, etc.? Yes it's the current thing to blame vaccines but 100 years ago many children died from disease that we have mostly eradicated.

Diet, stress, smoking, inactivity and too many prescriptions are the real culprits.
Which prescriptions would you eliminate? Meds for high blood pressure? Insulin? Antibiotics?

Yes to the smoking and alcohol, but bad diet and stress are not the causes of all human ailments. Many people live longer and healthier because of prescription medications.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:33 AM

242 posts, read 300,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

I'm banking on my OPC's.
I'm a scientific researcher and you know why there isn't a one size fits all cure for cancer yet? Decades of cancer research has taught us that this problem is so much more complex than we could have thought. We know a lot more know than we did 50+ years ago regarding what triggers some cancers, how they spread, etc. and we also know that not all cancers behave the same way. Therefore it is practically impossible to treat them all with one universal cure. Furthermore, a lot of potential "ground-breaking treatments" that work so well on a plate of cells in the lab or in animal studies fail to work as well when they move to clinical trials. In fact a lot of therapies never get approved for use for reasons like this.

Big pharma isn't hiding a cure so they can continue to rake in the big bucks. Science has taught us that we are dealing with an incredibly challenging problem for which there are probably multiple solutions.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:10 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Average life expectancy in the US has increased remarkably in what amounts to a blink of an eye. That is not due to eating raw veggies.

People are retiring in droves to communities that have the recreational and intellectual amenities they want: tennis, golf, the arts, colleges with courses they can take for fun.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/reale...175_story.html

Not all cancers are the same. Some are virtually 100% curable, and, yes, the stage at which it is identified is important. The idea that treatment for cancer, not the disease, kills people is the big lie. The millions of people who have been treated and survive with no evidence of disease are living proof that treatment works.
Suzy. No one listens to you anymore here. This is the ALTERNATIVE HEALTH foruma and you're wrought with western medicine propaganda.

Everyone knows you believe that eating a handful of pharmaceutical drugs will make you healthy, wealthy, and wise.

Seriously, every single time I'm on these boards, I see your refuting blabber pasted all over. And you're not educating others either, if anything, your demeaning tone turns people off to your chemical ideas. Or is that your intention?

Last edited by DonJuanQuixote; 05-21-2016 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine