Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 12:40 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times

Advertisements

I'd love NOT to take advil but it does cover up some of my bodywide pain. And I'd love not to take BP meds, but I guess I need them, I've tried long and hard not to take the meds. I'm healthy otherwise and knowing my genes, I could live into my 90's, some days I hope that's not the case. I'd love to see my grandkids have kids but not if I'm being held up.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
I have looked at the facts. People's life expectancy, whether from birth, from age 20, from age 50, or from age 60, is longer now than it ever has been. And those babies that you talk about that are living longer? That is all because of advances in medical science. Most people live longer and healthier than they have in the past.

It seems as if you're the one who was brainwashed.
Exactly! I once looked up the ages of death of the US presidents for another forum. Prior to recent times, only John Adams and Herbert Hoover lived to be >90. We now have two living ex presidents over the age of 90 (Carter and GHW Bush), plus Gerald Ford and Reagan both died in their 90s. These men were born in 1924 (the two living ones), 1913 and 1911 respectively. Note that US presidents were people at the "top of the heap" so to speak, socioeconomically and could afford good health care, good nutrition, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._States_by_age

Old 05-10-2016, 01:09 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I watched the entire video and I think there is some good, valid information there. However, the presenter kind of bothered me...calling everything stupid isn't convincing-- just give us the facts, please.

Did it bother anyone else that his appearance gives rise to the thought "Physician Heal Thyself"
If the presenter is obese himself, how can I respect his opinion/advice on guiding me on my health?

At the end, he abruptly switches into hawking a cruise...

The whole thing left me thinking he's rather a shill...

There are much better holistic guides grounded in practice and training, I think: Chopra, Weil, Ornish, MacDougall, Greger, etc.
Excellent posting! Very astute!

Old 05-10-2016, 01:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I just went on the CDC website and it shows 14 vaccinations for children through 6 years old.

Maybe it's 69 altogether as it looks like some are given multiple times? I don't have kids...
Yes. Some people, especially those opposed to vaccinations, like to count DTaP as 3 because it protects against 3 diseases, diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis; MMR as three as it protects against measles, mumps and rubella, and to count each dose (5 for DTaP, plus one Tdap [same diseases, different forumulation], 2 for MMR,) plus 3 for Hepatitis B, 2 for Hep A, 4 for Hib, Prevnar, and polio, 2-3 for rotavirus depending on brand, 2 for chickenpox, 3 for HPV, 2 Menactra etc as separate "vaccinations".) The ironic thing is, polio vaccine protects against 3 strains of polio, Prevnar-13 protects against 13 strains of pneumococcal vaccine, Rotateq against 5 strains of rotavirus, so they're missing a few. The human body can handle multiple antigens at once, and there are combination vaccines that reduce the number of injections.

Moderator cut: deleted comment. This IS the alternative medicine forum. You can disagree politely but not slam alternative medicine.

Last edited by in_newengland; 05-10-2016 at 02:03 PM..

Old 05-13-2016, 02:53 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The dramatic increase in average life expectancy during the 20th century ranks as one of society’s greatest achievements. Although most babies born in 1900 did not live past age 50, life expectancy at birth now exceeds 83 years in Japan—the current leader—and is at least 81 years in several other countries. Less developed regions of the world have experienced a steady increase in life expectancy since World War II, although not all regions have shared in these improvements. (One notable exception is the fall in life expectancy in many parts of Africa because of deaths caused by the HIV/AIDS epidemic.) The most dramatic and rapid gains have occurred in East Asia, where life expectancy at birth increased from less than 45 years in 1950 to more than 74 years today.

https://www.nia.nih.gov/research/pub.../living-longer

Come on. Suzy. That is preposterous. I already called you on your pet government resource NIH in an earlier post. How often has the NIH been caught lying on their website? They are just a tool to promote propaganda.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:44 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Come on. Suzy. That is preposterous. I already called you on your pet government resource NIH in an earlier post. How often has the NIH been caught lying on their website? They are just a tool to promote propaganda.

And I'm not Suzy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-13-2016, 04:19 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
I am Suzy, and it seems you are challenging statistics that are easily verifiable. Do you really want to do that?

I do not know of any lies by the NIH on its web site.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:22 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I am Suzy, and it seems you are challenging statistics that are easily verifiable. Do you really want to do that?

I do not know of any lies by the NIH on its web site.

I'm sure the CDC and/or WHO will also have confirming data.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-13-2016, 05:25 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Which post did you call her out on?

The longevity discussion where you actually used the Bible as a reference to back up your claims???

Old 05-13-2016, 05:46 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Some one has certainly been well brainwashed and bought in to all the propaganda that we are supposedly living "longer, healthier lives BIG time".

If the truth be told, the only reason the AVERAGE age of death is higher now is due to the fact that the infant mortality rate is much lower now. Before incubators, many newborns died. However, if they made it to age 5, chances were excellent that they made it to 70, 85 or 100 or more and died healthy in their sleep.

Compare that to today where a weak baby is kept alive; has all sorts of issues growing up and by his 50's has so many issues and diseases and is in dozens of medications, he ends up in a nursing home and still doesn't make it past 75. I think the whole "longer, healthier lives" idea is a bunch of B.S. brainwashing. Don't believe it for a second. Look at the facts for yourself and then decide.
And WHY is infant mortality SO MUCH LOWER TODAY??

Advances in modern medicine would be the answer....it's not naturopaths delivering all those healthy babies these days..

Don't forget maternal mortality during childbirth....that rate has also declined precipitously due to.....wait for it....MODERN MEDICINE

Achievements in Public Health, 1900-1999: Healthier Mothers and Babies

The highlighted part of your post also flies in the face of facts....they are pesky right?

In 1911 a child that made it to age 10 would likely live longer than the 50 years they otherwise were destined for...all the way to 61.....no quite 85 or 100

Compare that to a child born in 2011 has an average life expectancy of 76 at birth and 76 at age 10...thank you modern medicine and vaccines

The facts are available...statistical tables that tell the tale on life expectancy are not open to debate or opinion

Life Expectancy by Age, 1850–2011

Like you said if one looks objectively at the facts, there can be no debate we are living longer today.....its not debatable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine