Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 10:00 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Rago View Post
No, poverty in Brazil is so different than poverty in US...

First of all: they eat, yes, NOW they do. I'm not kidding you, before the programs of the present federal government, hunger was REAL, a disseminated thing for tens of millions. Even people who did work experienced hunger in a daily basis, everywhere in the country, but mainly in the poor areas of the big cities and the most remote country regions of the country. It is not true that people that receive those benefits from the government don't work; in the cities, is very commom that they also work in informal jobs, but in the country regions, there is no work. They have family agriculture, but that is rudimentary, and events like rains and dryings bring hunger back.
Let me clear something first, I didn't say free electricity and free water or free infrastructure. I only said "free education" and access to water and electricity.

We also have problems in rural areas in the US. People here constantly move to cities because they can't find jobs in rural areas. Yes you can get food stamps here but only if you have children, disabled or if you are a senior citizen. Obama is not gonna feed you or provide you a job in the middle of nowhere. Public education in the US is not fair either. Students in Appalachia don't get the same education that students in public school in upstate NY do. Schools in poor districts don't have the same technology as schools in Middle class areas. Many of those students won't get the skills necessary to get accepted in college unless they are extremely smart.

People with limited resources are pretty much screwed everywhere.

Having said that let me be clear. I don't think Brazil is a utopia, actually I think it's one of the worst places to live along with Colombia and Venezuela. The problem is not poverty, there are many nations in Africa and Asia much poorer than these countries. The problem is how violent and corrupt these places are. They don't protect the average citizen. People do their own justice. The police is corrupt and their courts give them little options. It is a violation of human rights when governments tax citizens and leave them to their own devices. They give poor people access to safe structures, schools, utilities but do nothing to lower the crime in those neighborhoods. The government and wealthy people thinks like this" Just let them eat cake and let those poor people kill themselves, after all the people in those neighborhoods are a bunch of criminals"

Old 06-16-2014, 01:19 PM

85 posts, read 122,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Let me clear something first, I didn't say free electricity and free water or free infrastructure. I only said "free education" and access to water and electricity.
There is no access to water and electricity unless those communities pay with their own money for the basic infra-structure to get pipes and cables and pumps, but this sort of thing is charged in all bills of all companies as "social taxes" and "investment taxes" (there are many taxes in a power or water bill that have to do with the monthly consumption). I don't know any other country in the world where people are charged and pay for so many things that will never be accomplished... "Lack of money" is not an excuse because there are a number of other laws and taxes upon many commercial activities that were supposed to be applied exclusively in getting poor communities to have access to those basic services.

Our problem is not violence. The most part of the country places in Brazil are not violent as the big cities are. Our problem is that the Brazilian State is too big. It takes too much money from every people (except the extremely rich people) and send it to nowhere. Brazilian citizens need to pay twice to have education, a health system, social welfare. Poor people don't have the money to pay for it twice, what leads Brazil to have a frozen social mobility: poor and miserable people are push to always stay poor.

If we don't change our tax laws to release poor people and charge the great fortunes it's only a matter of time until the next serious world crisis throw millions of Brazilians back to extreme poverty. And they will remain there for decades, because our country doesn't get back on its feet as US or Europe do.

I think it is not a fair comparsion, poverty in Brazil and US. Maybe it is more proper to compare social conditions in Brazil and european countries, like France and Italy, because the historical style of the brazilian public administration is that of the "welfare state" and the brazilian laws are more close to those of european countries.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:14 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,376 times
I don't think the Brazilian state is too big, actually it's about average compared to most countries in the world. The government does need to raise its current "debt" ceiling from (59%) to about (92%) of its GDP, That would bring it's deficit up to the levels of Canada(86%) and the United Kingdom(91%).

That would bring in more than 2 trillion dollars to spend. That amount of gradual monetary input into the economy could be used for many, many, many humongous projects. Such as bullet trains to every major city, insurmountable funds for research to begin with, and at the same time cut taxes. Remember it is doable, 90% deficit is less that half of what Japan (226%) is operating at.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...soa&rank=50#br
Australia just raised theirs by two-thirds of their debt ceiling.
Mike Norman Economics: Grown ups: Australia raises the debt ceiling without a shutdown!

Old 06-17-2014, 11:35 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
I don't think the Brazilian state is too big, actually it's about average compared to most countries in the world. The government does need to raise its current "debt" ceiling from (59%) to about (92%) of its GDP, That would bring it's deficit up to the levels of Canada(86%) and the United Kingdom(91%).

That would bring in more than 2 trillion dollars to spend. That amount of gradual monetary input into the economy could be used for many, many, many humongous projects. Such as bullet trains to every major city, insurmountable funds for research to begin with, and at the same time cut taxes. Remember it is doable, 90% deficit is less that half of what Japan (226%) is operating at.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...soa&rank=50#br
Australia just raised theirs by two-thirds of their debt ceiling.
Mike Norman Economics: Grown ups: Australia raises the debt ceiling without a shutdown!
hahahha

If they raise it to 300% they could go green!!!

Old 06-17-2014, 11:40 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Negative Nancy's all over the internet nothing new, they see a huge popular event that a lot of people enjoy... so they must complain and complain about it and turn it into something negative.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:58 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Negative Nancy's all over the internet nothing new, they see a huge popular event that a lot of people enjoy... so they must complain and complain about it and turn it into something negative.
That is one reason, another is that is that what I explained is over many people's head.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:12 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
The World Cup is going on, it's a HUGE success, there were no massive protests, and there aren't any serious issues happening.

Will the haters swallow this now?

And the pathetic Brazilian right-wing opposition was OWNED big time.

Their sabbotage of their own country has FAILED miserably.

The climate of terror that they tried to spread in the country ahead of the World Cup has completely dissipated.

You fail, right wing. Brazil wins, you lose.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:40 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
?

And the pathetic Brazilian right-wing opposition was OWNED big time.

I some how suspect that the right wing tycoons did very well from the massive projects, as is usually the case every where.

I see massive numbers of empty seats at many games. why is that> Brazilians not as interested as one would expect in a country with over 200 million?

Old 06-21-2014, 10:39 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I some how suspect that the right wing tycoons did very well from the massive projects, as is usually the case every where.

I see massive numbers of empty seats at many games. why is that> Brazilians not as interested as one would expect in a country with over 200 million?
To be fair the majority of the fans at a particular game are going to be fans of that particular team playing. Unless it's the Brazilian National team playing, the majority of the crowd at a stadium will mostly likely be foreigners or immigrants of Brazil. Your probably not going to find to many Brazilian locals going to a "Nigeria-Iran" match.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:44 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
To be fair the majority of the fans at a particular game are going to be fans of that particular team playing. Unless it's the Brazilian National team playing, the majority of the crowd at a stadium will mostly likely be foreigners or immigrants of Brazil. Your probably not going to find to many Brazilian locals going to a "Nigeria-Iran" match.
Actually in every game it seems a large proportion of the crowd is Brazilian, wearing the green and gold (same as Aussie) Brazilian team colours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas