Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:46 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,784,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
You can't be serious. Read all the press worldwide. The airports are not ready, the roads aren't ready, the STADIUMS are still being finalized with one notably already being confirmed that it will not be finalized and will have to be used in its incomplete state. Not to mention everything that is going on politically at the moment over there

Let me ask again:

HOW MANY PEOPLE GOT ANY KIND OF PROBLEMS IN THE AIRPORTS?

HOW MANY PEOPLE GOT ANY KIND OF PROBLEMS IN THEIR TRANSPORTATION INTO THE STADIUMS?

HOW MANY PEOPLE COULDN'T FIND THEIR SEATS IN THE STADIUM?

I will ask you these questions EVERY DAY, starting today, until the end of the World Cup.

It's so easy to say that this or that "is not ready".

But how come those things are "not ready", if NO PROBLEMS AT ALL happen for the teams, for the international journalists and for the tourists?

WHO GOT ANY REAL PROBLEM IN BRAZIL?

WHO???

Old 06-12-2014, 11:43 AM

64 posts, read 82,951 times
The Brazilian people were led to believe the money to build stadiums would come from private companies, or at least the majority of the money. They were also led to believe hosting the world cup would help the country and it's economy such as improving the infrastructure.

Fact is, with so much inefficiency, lack of planning, bureaucracy, corruption, delays, etc. those infrastructure projects got all cancelled or barely started. They barely finished the stadiums on time.. Look the situation of the lawn in the Manaus stadium, terrible.

The majority of the money also came from the tax payers instead of private sources. Four new white elephant stadiums and barely some road improvements. No wonder why a lot of Brazilians are not in a good mood for this world cup.

This world cup is making Brazil show it's real face worldwide. Foreigners have a very romancized view of the country, which is far from being true. Brazilians struggle to live and survive, every - single - day.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Let me ask again:

HOW MANY PEOPLE GOT ANY KIND OF PROBLEMS IN THE AIRPORTS?

HOW MANY PEOPLE GOT ANY KIND OF PROBLEMS IN THEIR TRANSPORTATION INTO THE STADIUMS?

HOW MANY PEOPLE COULDN'T FIND THEIR SEATS IN THE STADIUM?

I will ask you these questions EVERY DAY, starting today, until the end of the World Cup.

It's so easy to say that this or that "is not ready".

But how come those things are "not ready", if NO PROBLEMS AT ALL happen for the teams, for the international journalists and for the tourists?

WHO GOT ANY REAL PROBLEM IN BRAZIL?

WHO???

2.5 hours is the wait for a taxi in SP Airport. (The main airport of Brazil...). Rio is not different.

But I guess this is not a problem....... the airports are READY to receive a world event. Everything is already a success!

Old 06-12-2014, 05:49 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Well, a lot of senseless bullsh*t

Why. We are seeing and hearing massive evidence that many Brazilians are upset at the billions spent, most of which will remain useless once the Olympics are over in two years. Just look at Greece and South Africa as evidence.

Folks should do like what the people in LA and Atlanta did. Put most of the funding burden on the private sector.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:52 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
I'm LOLing too: the world will see the REAL BRAZIL now, in the World Cup, when the journalists of the whole world will be here to discover, to their shock, that those images of "massive protests" in 2013 were just bullsh*t, and that Brazil is a modern country, where people - even the poor - live in solid houses made of brics, with running water and electricity, and have flat screen TVs, laptops and smartphones, and everyone has plenty of food to eat, and there is free education and free healthcare for those who don't want to pay for it (those who want to pay for private education and private healthcare are free for doing so, if it's their will).

All the propaganda against Brazil comes down now, with thousands of journalists seeing the daily life of real Brazil, a country that is improving fast and becoming better and better to live each day that passes.

After one month "living in Brazil", the international journalists will realize that all those people "complaining about everything" are nothing more than political militants with political motivations, and that the real people have a reasonably good life, and plenty of reason to celebrate the joy of being Brazilian.

You must have a PR contract to promote Brazil. There is still ample poverty all over Brazil and your economy is slowing, which isn't good given that much of your new middle class financed their consumption through debt.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:57 PM

111 posts, read 339,672 times
I agree with nearly everything she is saying.

Personally, I'm sick of the coverage here too. I've been hearing about nothing but the World Cup for the past few months. Not to mention the government really has been spending a lot of money. A lot of Brazilians are poor and we don't need to spend billions on stadiums. I'm lucky I was able to go home after my appendix removal recently, but I know that some people aren't so lucky.

While I haven't seen anyone losing their homes where I live, I've heard stories about people in Rio de Janeiro being kicked out of their homes. Even around Paranagua it's getting crazy. I'm actually glad that I'm still out from work because otherwise I'd be working up a storm. I can't wait for this World Cup to be over!

Old 06-12-2014, 07:19 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,293,415 times
International sporting events have grown completely out of control. Brazil made the mistake of signing up to host the two biggest within a mere two years. That would put a terrible strain on all but the richest countries. I understand the emotional desire to see the events go to less developed countries, but I think it's bad idea.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
International sporting events have grown completely out of control. Brazil made the mistake of signing up to host the two biggest within a mere two years. That would put a terrible strain on all but the richest countries. I understand the emotional desire to see the events go to less developed countries, but I think it's bad idea.
They also made the mistake of choosing 12 new venues instead of the recommended 8 by FIFA.
One of the venues is so remote that can't be reached by car, it may look like a joke but there is no grass seed or fertilizer to buy for the field so they are struggling to keep it nice and green...

Old 06-12-2014, 08:24 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,027,450 times
OK don't get me wrong I LOVE LOVE LOVE Brazil, Brazilian culture, & Brazilian people. I love food, music, & novelas (O Clone, Sete Mulheres, Xica da Silva, Da cor do Pecado, etc)

But is it just me or is it too much Brazil hype? It will help economy, but I feel like FIFA 2014 Brazil & then Olympics 2016 Brazil won't have any 'ilusion' or 'excitement' as much as it does now. When Olympic games will start, what will be so different about opening ceremony? I guess they will have to be creative...

but carry on Brasil, I LOVE YOU ANYWAY! Oh yeah & go Spain/Colombia!!!!!

Old 06-13-2014, 10:23 AM

492 posts, read 1,149,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcatwood View Post
The Brazilian people were led to believe the money to build stadiums would come from private companies, or at least the majority of the money. They were also led to believe hosting the world cup would help the country and it's economy such as improving the infrastructure.

Fact is, with so much inefficiency, lack of planning, bureaucracy, corruption, delays, etc. those infrastructure projects got all cancelled or barely started. They barely finished the stadiums on time.. Look the situation of the lawn in the Manaus stadium, terrible.

The majority of the money also came from the tax payers instead of private sources. Four new white elephant stadiums and barely some road improvements. No wonder why a lot of Brazilians are not in a good mood for this world cup.

This world cup is making Brazil show it's real face worldwide. Foreigners have a very romancized view of the country, which is far from being true. Brazilians struggle to live and survive, every - single - day.
Insignificant countries (in population and economic size that is) such as Uruguay, Sweden, Switzerland were able to host it without much hassle. Why wouldn't Brasil be able to, being that it is such huge economic power house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas