Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 03:37 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

https://geopolitics.co/2015/05/14/10...erating-in-us/

I do wonder why Panama abstained from voting in favor of combating Nazism when all the other Latin American countries voted to combat Nazism.

Its also troubling that the USA and Canada voted against combating Nazism. Plus, practically all of Europe abstained.

It is likely more to do with priorities. Both Canada and the US have very power and influential Jewish populations. I doubt it is a matter of them not caring about the issue, but having bigger issues to deal with or not agreeing on the details of the how they were expected to combate Nazism.

If you look at the bigger global concerns right now .. I think ISIS is a bigger global threat the Nazism at this moment to countries like Canada and the USA. I don't think the issue should ever fall off any countries radar.. but jews not the only groups facing perceution in the world and are currently probably the best organized group that has faced percecution at combating these issues. If anything I think any group that is facing preceution should look to Jewish organizations for ideas and inspiration as to handle these situations. I think the efforts made by the global Jewish community after the Holocost to make the world away of what happend during the holocaust and to raise awareness about discrimination towards Jewish people is phenomenal. If every group who is and has faced preceution was able to do what the Jewish Community has done the world would be a better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 03:58 PM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLivetoEarth View Post
You probably dont know what new-nazis profess, they believe argentina for argentineans, France for the French people,etc it has nothing to do with being 100% german, or kill everybody who isnt blonde or with blue eyes. Most People are very clueless about those things, including you.
I can see the animosity that could develop in situations where there is a wealthier minority from a foreing heritage. Being from a visibly white/ Arab family from the Caribbean I get it. During the 60s in Trinidad there was a black power and lets just say a lot of white, European, Arab and Chinese Trinidadians who combined made up around less then 10% of the population, but at the time disproportionally had a lot more wealth than the average Trinidadian were pretty scared during that time. Many of my family members actually left the Island around that time.

When I was in Egypt in Luxor this tour guide we had made this comment not realizing that I was not Muslim that suggesting animostiy towards Christian Egyptians suggesting they were monopolizing the tourism industry in the area and would only do business with each other and not any Muslin Egyptians.

When everyone that has economic prosperity looks a certain way or shares a common heritage or religion this can certainly cause tension. People with less are often looking for someone to blame for this misfortune.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:06 PM

70 posts, read 70,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
These are not Neo-Nazis these are direct descendants of Hitler's regime and torch carriers to the party.Not the psuedo Neo Nazi stuff we see today.

Some townsin South America (Baroliche) , German is the first or 2nd language, no lie.
LOL no, where are you getting your information from man? Fox News ? Those dumb kids in the article are not descendants from Hitler's regime lmao they are just edgy idiots who began insulting another group of students, there was not even proof of physical assault from what I've read in Argentine news sites, it was pretty much a minor incident that news outlets blew out of proportion. It could've been easily handled by suspending/expelling the dumb kids.

Also even in the most "German" towns of Latin America, Spanish and Portuguese are the main spoken languages. Some families will speak German at home, but a good amount of them are already too assimilated and don't even speak German. Never mind a city like Bariloche, everybody speaks Spanish there. German-Latin Americans are just like normal Latin Americans, they couldn't care less about being "torch carriers" for the Nazis . Jesus bud, leave your house and travel a bit will you.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:50 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast93 View Post
LOL no, where are you getting your information from man? Fox News ? Those dumb kids in the article are not descendants from Hitler's regime lmao they are just edgy idiots who began insulting another group of students, there was not even proof of physical assault from what I've read in Argentine news sites, it was pretty much a minor incident that news outlets blew out of proportion. It could've been easily handled by suspending/expelling the dumb kids.

Also even in the most "German" towns of Latin America, Spanish and Portuguese are the main spoken languages. Some families will speak German at home, but a good amount of them are already too assimilated and don't even speak German. Never mind a city like Bariloche, everybody speaks Spanish there. German-Latin Americans are just like normal Latin Americans, they couldn't care less about being "torch carriers" for the Nazis . Jesus bud, leave your house and travel a bit will you.
There is a strange popular stereotype in the US where people think that ALL Germans who went to South America were Nazis. They always say this to my husband and he does get a little offended and has to defend his family. It is quite silly.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:28 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Do you know much about this period of Guatemalan history?
Yes definitely. I Know older people that remember that period well, My parents were just little kids, but their generation suffered the worst of what came after. The outcome of the overthrow of Arbenz was pure chaos. The military took over and have pretty much pulled the strings in Guatemala since then, even now.

If anyone is interested in this history there is a good documentary about what happened in Guatemala called "When the mountains tremble". It's up on youtube.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:22 PM

Default Sounds interesting .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yes definitely. I Know older people that remember that period well, My parents were just little kids, but their generation suffered the worst of what came after. The outcome of the overthrow of Arbenz was pure chaos. The military took over and have pretty much pulled the strings in Guatemala since then, even now.

If anyone is interested in this history there is a good documentary about what happened in Guatemala called "When the mountains tremble". It's up on youtube.
The documentary sounds interesting. In my opinion these types of movies/ documentaries help share the truth from different perspectives. Written history especially in the past ex before the Internet seems grossly biases towards only certain perspectives.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:53 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,870,120 times
I went to school here in the US with a Colombian who wore some swastika pendant and when a cuban teacher saw him she embarrassed him in front of the class and made him removed it. The worst part was that that school was full of Jewish people. He said he hated Jews because in Colombia

As if the Castro regime is so much better than the Nazis; I guess that if he had worn a hammer and sickle armband she would have greeted him...such hypocrisy...

Old 09-02-2016, 07:23 AM

70 posts, read 70,821 times
Quote:
There is a strange popular stereotype in the US where people think that ALL Germans who went to South America were Nazis. They always say this to my husband and he does get a little offended and has to defend his family. It is quite silly.
If only people knew Germans started arriving in Latin America long before WW2.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:39 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

I will have to check out this documentary, thanks.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:23 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Do you know much about this period of Guatemalan history?
Yes. The coup the US engineered set the stage for the Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba, not to mention later on--Chile. And even now, the US has been trying to destabilize Ecuador's President, with some success. I can't help wondering if the impeachment of Dilma Rousef has the US behind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas