Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 12:58 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
wrong...anyway there are also great nocturnal safari tours - you can't compare the minute Costa Rican rainforest to the mighty Amazon, literally the lungs of the Earth.

Rain Forest ... Amazon .... I live in a city so it all sounds like bushes with wild scary stuff to me.
However if there is a Decameron Resort .... it seems a bit more tempting .... though still not impossible to get attacked by something ... case in point that little boy getting eaten at a Disney World Resort ( everyone was laughing when I told them I thought I saw a little alligator in the water..... totally crazy and scary).

I saw the same necklace and earing set I wanted ( one of them aways).... being sold resale for 1/4 the price..... very temped to buy..... but wont.

The monkey is cute the Dolphines are not my thing ( seen enough of them). I dont know why those little monkies are not sold as pets.... they woud make far more interesting pets then dogs or cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 08:23 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
I don't think the Amazon is as scary as Australia when it comes to wild critters. Altho apparently there is a thing called "Amazonian Centipede" and it already makes my skin crawl. I can handle spiders, I can handle lizards, but centipedes are a NOPE. That said, they do have toucans, guacamayas, all different kinds of parrots, cool monkeys, so that makes up for it

Old 04-09-2017, 12:34 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
you're irrationally claiming Colombia has stuff it doesn't have
Like what exactly?

Old 04-09-2017, 11:33 AM

The Belko Experiment cast on Bogota...

Old 04-09-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Rain Forest ... Amazon .... I live in a city so it all sounds like bushes with wild scary stuff to me.
I live in yet a bigger city was born and raised here but doesn't distract from my appreciation for nature, especially iconic environments such as the Amazon.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:17 PM

I've grown up in two cities which combined have like 20 million people, and that's not even counting the Metropolitan Areas. Yet I still really like nature and especially tropical nature. And tropical fruits too. When I was in Peru the abundance of fruits was amazing. $1.5 dollars can get you freshly blended juice from mango, papaya, chirimoya, etc. It was glorious, they would cut up the fruit in front of you, add in water or milk (milk was a bit more expensive), sugar if you want, and then just blend it and give you the whole thing. You could see what went in, no preservatives or anything unnatural added. You could also get a massive watermelon for like 3 dollars in Lima, and I'm sure in other cities it's a lot cheaper. I heard if you go to Tarapoto or Pucallpa, the fruits there are not even a dollar

Old 04-09-2017, 03:31 PM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Such as Colombians for example who are from small towns and who have never been to Bogota, save when they flew out of the country. I was told by one person Bogota had all these English speaking people and foreigners and was like New York City. Of course I knew that wasn't true. After visiting Bogota I even made fun of him and told him I had to put my Spanish speaking skills to good use, as the only people I met who spoke English well where those who had either lived in the US, or were wealthy and had good educations. Most people could just say a word or two.

But even worse than that are (at least in NYC) were Latinos (mainly Puerto Ricans and Dominicans who were born in NYC and maybe had lived in the city generationally for awhile) who had NO knowledge of Latin America beyond CNN news!

After awhile I ended up telling them I've been to Latin America multiple times, I speak, read, and write Spanish, and that their "advice" was not needed since I can go straight to the source (wherever in Latin America I want to go, or I can read books, news, or watch movies from that nation in Spanish, etc.)

Also keep in mind even if someone is from a country, while there are many places I've been to in the US (for example) there are many places I have not been too. I can't comment on what it's like to live in places I've never even visited. This isn't just an issue with Latin Americans, in the US there are people who will talk **** about places they've never been to, or if you go to Asian a Japanese might talk **** about Chinese and they've never been to China!
Lol.... you know you live in New York when you think the price of fruit as you stated is cheap. Seriouly I have no idea how people in New York are not all suffering from vitamin difficiencies. I walked all through Manhattan rich areas and poor areas and produce was really expensive. Toronto is soooo different in that respect. There was nothing I tried in Colombia I have nit tried before either in Trinidad on in one of the countless grocery stores in my city selling tropical fruit. Fruit was cheaper and fresher though. My husband got to try stuff he had never tried before which he enjoyed.

The monkies are cute ....love fresh fruit.... but rural like is not easy. I prefer hot ... showers.... lots of entertainment options ..... reliable internet and hydro connection hands now. I could always get someone to bring me a monkey and fresh fruit.

I find areas like that utterly scary and depressing. Nice to see and run away from as soon as posible. I can grow stuff in my backyard if needed..... no need to wander around in the jungle looking for food !

Old 04-09-2017, 09:39 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
A good insight into the trap of people staying in the La Candelaria vs Zona Rosa bubble. There's so much of Bogota to explore visitors don't usually scratch the surface. Minute 1:15 he hits the nail on the head!

The funny thing is this youtuber was really hesitant in visiting Bogota because everyone in Colombia badmouths it but ends up liking it. People from Cartagena/Barranquilla badmouth Bogota, people from Medellin and the coffee region do the same, so do people from Cali, Bucaramanga and all over not to mention the tourists that go to Bogota expecting tropical weather, beach-style life, colour, etc. they usually end up hating Bogota too because hot weather expectations aren't met and its a shock (downer) to the system.
LOL!

That reminds me of a Spanish (as from Spain) designer. She was interviewed on a television show about her first trip to Bolivia. She said she couldn't believe it. She took suitcases full of winter clothes, because Bolivia is suppose to be mountainous, cloudy, and cold. She landed in Santa Cruz de la Sierra and all she kept repeating was "this is Bolivia?" A beautiful TROPICAL city, greenery everywhere, and a radiant sunshine. She said the first thing she did in Bolivia was go shopping, because all her clothes were completely out of place.

Her interview has to be somewhere in Youtube. I will see if I can find it. Too funny.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Lol.... you know you live in New York when you think the price of fruit as you stated is cheap. Seriouly I have no idea how people in New York are not all suffering from vitamin difficiencies. I walked all through Manhattan rich areas and poor areas and produce was really expensive. Toronto is soooo different in that respect. There was nothing I tried in Colombia I have nit tried before either in Trinidad on in one of the countless grocery stores in my city selling tropical fruit. Fruit was cheaper and fresher though. My husband got to try stuff he had never tried before which he enjoyed.

The monkies are cute ....love fresh fruit.... but rural like is not easy. I prefer hot ... showers.... lots of entertainment options ..... reliable internet and hydro connection hands now. I could always get someone to bring me a monkey and fresh fruit.

I find areas like that utterly scary and depressing. Nice to see and run away from as soon as posible. I can grow stuff in my backyard if needed..... no need to wander around in the jungle looking for food !
Lol I assume you wanted to quote my post? It's true, the fruit prices in New York are criminal, in fact my fruit intake is pretty much limited to the reliably cheap bananas, meanwhile things like mangos and avocados are luxuries here. And it's worse by my university since it's a couple of hours outside New York so all the tropical "luxuries" require extra transportation. I have a funny story, well it's more depressing than funny, where I saw green grapes on sale, and I thought "why not" and put them in my cart. It showed the "per weight" price as opposed to the unit price so I wasnt sure how much it would amount to. When I went through checkout, the lady scanned the grapes and as I looked at the price my jaw dropped since these things were 12 ****ing dollars. In Peru you can probably buy four boxes of grapes for that price, here it's one bag

Old 04-10-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Lol I assume you wanted to quote my post? It's true, the fruit prices in New York are criminal, in fact my fruit intake is pretty much limited to the reliably cheap bananas, meanwhile things like mangos and avocados are luxuries here. And it's worse by my university since it's a couple of hours outside New York so all the tropical "luxuries" require extra transportation. I have a funny story, well it's more depressing than funny, where I saw green grapes on sale, and I thought "why not" and put them in my cart. It showed the "per weight" price as opposed to the unit price so I wasnt sure how much it would amount to. When I went through checkout, the lady scanned the grapes and as I looked at the price my jaw dropped since these things were 12 ****ing dollars. In Peru you can probably buy four boxes of grapes for that price, here it's one bag

That is really sad. Access to affordable fresh fruit and vegetables should not be a luxury. That is on thing I hated about Manhattan other then the fact I find it crazy dirty and grimey looking ( it smells like pee even in the nicer areas ).

Access to a wide variety of more affordable fresh fruit and vegetables is not great all over Canada though. We are pretty lucky in this respect in Toronto. I am very pro urban gardening and purchased my home specifically because it allows for the opportunity. I have the land to accomidate this opportunity, but I really think appartment and condo designs should accomidate this idea of having balconies and window boxes to even allow some small efforts for people to grow some of their own food even if only possible for certain parts of the year.

I am not 100% sure how much I spend buying fruit in Colombia because I was still struggling to understand the currency for the 1st 1/2 of my trip.

What I did like is the street vendors selling fresh fruit ex mango, watermelon and some other fruits in both cities. This makes for a far better snack then many other quick service options. Though I really like the carts that sold plantain chips and churro like things. As someone who does not really like long time consuming sit down meals and I always trying to take note of street food stypes in places I go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas