Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 15,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfork View Post
I have been interested in buying a parcel in the Ashfork area. Can you tell me what you have or can I call you? You can also reach me at: 626-454-0347. Please ask for Paul.

If anyone else has a parcel or home in the area, I would be interested in looking at what you have to offer. Please call the above number.

HAS ANYONE DRILLED FOR WATER IN THE ASHFORK AREA IN THE PAST COUPLE YEARS?
Paul, I thoroughly searched the Juniperwoods Ranch area before buying this prime acreage. We live in Phoenix and have decided sell the property. I have it listed for sale through Country Life Realty, which is based in Ashfork. The permitted cabin, built in 2005 and in very good condition, has permitted septic already in, a new gas range/stove, hot water heater, solar, toilet, shower and more. Visit my website for photo's and more information, including contact information to my realtor:

http://offgridaz.blogspot.com/ (broken link)

Feel free to email me as well at: tkrichme@gmail.com
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 05:36 PM

509 posts, read 1,698,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlexisnexis View Post
Thanks, I really do believe if we have a couple terrorist attacks, N Arizona will be looking pretty good to a lot of folks in the big cities.
then my house would be a nice investment for sombody .

Old 10-27-2008, 07:27 PM

7 posts, read 33,721 times
Ashfork has a good little diner that serves food close to home cooking, they don't skimp on portions and the folks are friendly. Reading the negatives on growth and property values is very interesting. Our property value in Juniperwoods has not gone down at all, while it has over here in Dolan Springs Arizona (about 30%). We were in a situation about like Ashfork, won't grow, haul water, nothing but a small drug invested community. Well guess what folks, build something big and they will come. They are building a bridge over the dam between Nevada and Northern Arizona and Californians and Nevadans are buying this cheap land over here, $15 - 20K per acre, with Rhodes Contractors talking about 30,000 homes between us and kingman. 2 big growth events in that area will be the cement plant and the theme park, something on each side. As a Veteran the nearness to Prescott VA Hospital is a big thing for me.Hauling water is a way of life in Northern Az with somewhere over 60% of home owners hauling! I've been hauling water over 6 years and have met lotsa great folks that way, oft times drinking a beer or 3 while waiting in line. We will probably start building in Juniperwoods next year, starting out with our 5th wheel for living while putting in septic, water storage tank (probably 1500 gal above ground which costs around $650.00), then most likely a single wide mobile. Power will be solar and heat will be propane. I realize leaving things out for the tweekers is an invitation to theft but that's a problem wherever you live. You're not going to find great views, 4 seasons, peace and quiet in many areas of the country for $2000 - 4000 an acre.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 15,497 times
Rastarker,
I enjoyed your reading your post; it is great to hear from positive folks like yourself. I own 20 acres in Juniperwoods Ranch just off Arizona Road, about 7 miles south of I-40. I've had it on the market for about two months now. A few calls but not offers just yet. If you or anyone else is interested, you can visit my website for more information and lots of pictures at:

For Sale $50K, 20 Acres and Cabin Near Flagstaff, AZ (http://offgridaz.blogspot.com/ - broken link)

Best of luck with your project next year!

Old 10-29-2008, 09:27 PM

269 posts, read 1,258,071 times
Here are some positive aspects
1. weather (mild 4 seasons)
2.growth coming from 3 directions Williams,Chino Valley, and Kingman
3. close proximity to the new Theme Park
4. millions of new residents of Arizona will want 2nd homes in Northern Arizona over the next 10-20 years as the state population doubles and Williams and Prescott are almost built out and will be to expensive for most people but the Ashfork and Seilgman areas are relatively affordable.
5. no natural disasters and reduced risk of terrorism in this area

50 miles west of Flagstaff 2 hours from Sedona

50 miles north of Prescott 1.5 hours from Grand Canyon

18 miles west of Williams 2.5 hours from Laughlin

3 hours from Phoenix 3.5 hours from Las Vegas

Old 11-21-2008, 11:08 AM

115 posts, read 471,531 times
Even though Ash Fork Town is a place you would not want to be in due to the lack of upkeep and the residents there find that until Ash Fork starts to grow a bit more why spend the money to fix it up. As far as the water situation we have water hauled in for us at $70 per 2000 gallons.

We like the off grid part of it, I set it up so I don't want for power or hot water and run all my appliances without a problem. I love the location and the views and only ten minutes from Williams for dining or grocery shopping. The cost of buying this property was fantastic and after building my house and garage we have had it appraised a month ago for 726k

This is the area of Arizona I feel will explode especially after talking with a few financial planners that are setting up for the California explosion just like what happen to Prescott. I have land all over Arizona and this is the place I landed and love the fact that it takes 1.5 hours to get to Laughlin, 40 minutes to Flagstaff and 50 minutes to Prescott. We are secluded on a 40 acre parcel and like the privacy. The people we have meet have been very friendly and helpful to deal with.

As far as no police, we had the opportunity to call 911 for an incendent and we had the sheriff from Yavapai and Coconino County here in less than 10 minutes in which I was pleasantly surprised.

All I can say is that anyone looking to live in the high country this is the place and with great cell reception, satellite, sun, mild 4 seasons, tons of things to do and close enough to everything else.

Just my .02 worth

Old 11-23-2008, 10:36 PM

862 posts, read 2,621,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo's View Post
The cost of buying this property was fantastic and after building my house and garage we have had it appraised a month ago for 726k
Interesting, $726K? Your property would be one of the most expensive site-built homes in that area. Mostly mobiles and manufactured homes in that area. Few site-built homes and the ones that are, fall in the $150K or lower price range.

Quote:
This is the area of Arizona I feel will explode especially after talking with a few financial planners that are setting up for the California explosion just like what happen to Prescott.
With the economic disaster we are just starting to enter into, the falling prices of Prescott and the decline in growth, I highly doubt that Ash Fork will see any "explosion" in the near future. Maybe the Flagstone mining has "explosions" but that is from dynamite.

Kidding aside, Ash Fork will not experience any type of "Prescott" like growth. At least not in the next 50+ years. People have been toting that since the 1960's. Almost 50 years later, nothing has changed. In actuality, Ash Fork has deteriorated even more.

Ash Fork has a serious issues that will prevent it from ever becoming a "Prescott" or viable town. Some of those include:
* Water table is 2,000+ feet deep and it is a water hauling community. Huge problem!
* The Flagstone mining companies own the rights to roads and properties. They have the legal right to drive 18-wheelers loaded with tons of Flagstone through your property if it is a road that is/was used to mine and transport Flagstone. The roads are NOT paved.
* No town infrastructure (hospital, police, sewer lines, water lines, etc)
* No tax base. The town is on life-support and struggles to just survive, let alone grow.
* No job sources except for Flagstone mining and minimum wage gas station jobs.
* Too many mobile homes and lax housing codes. The erratic and poorly executed, controlled and enforced building codes have created a maze of double-wides and manufactured homes with abandoned cars, refrigerators and drug houses. When I viewed lots with a local Realtor (just for fun, I was NOT considering buying), most were filled with abandoned cars, homes and looked like junk yards.
* ETC, ETC

Quote:
As far as no police, we had the opportunity to call 911 for an incendent and we had the sheriff from Yavapai and Coconino County here in less than 10 minutes in which I was pleasantly surprised.
That was the EXCEPTION and NOT the rule. I had to call 911 myself, it took 30+ minutes for an officer to respond. DPS ended-up coming because the closest available sheriff was in Chino Valley. Most people carry guns and even the Realtor I talked with said EVERYONE has a gun in their domicile. The Realtor even stated that if you leave on vacation, the chances that your home will be broken into or vandalized is high.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:49 AM

115 posts, read 471,531 times
I didn't say it would become another Prescott but will have an explosion like Prescott. I know that a number of investors have bought land and planning large site built homes in the near future and yes My home is a site built home.

After talking with the County they will be cracking down on the housing codes that have been lax.

But it's like any rural area that when it grows it has pains but as it grows the law enforcement grows, the economic situation will grow and yes it has been a slow growth as you mentioned but I have seen it to many times when it does start it goes pretty fast. All it takes is people to make the move to do it or new industry to come in.

You are right Ash Fork does have serious issues that will not be resolved until the town people start to give a dang about cleaning up their own community.

Yes you are right about everybody having guns but you can expect that for any rural area especially places that are known as the Cowboy/old west like from Prescott to Flagstaff.

Rural living isn't for everyone but does have a lot to offer and the vacation homes you will start to see soon. You have valid points and I agree with you that if you want to move here and work you will be commuting to another town to work.

I was talking about the surrounding areas of Ash Fork not Ash Fork itself as for as the growth, I have talked with APS and they stated that they would run power lines to areas that do not have it but not enough residents want it or there isn't enough in the particular area where someone wants it. Me I like not paying for utilities but this is my choice.

I guess it comes down to speculation and where you think it will or won't happen kinda like when many years ago that Prescott Valley was an arm pit of Prescott and would not see much growth or in the Yuma area where a guy bought a bunch of land outside of Yuma everybody told him he was crazy but he entered the Billionaires club and one more for the road when a guy bought up Paradise Valley for $162 an acre everyone told him to rocky to build on.

It happens everywhere and in places you would never think it could.

Thanks for the reply and the great comments I like reading them as I feel I learn more everyday.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:26 AM

862 posts, read 2,621,815 times
Arizona has many small dying towns like Ash Fork. Not every town will become a multi-million dollar hot-spot in the near future. Many will remain the way they are today. Ash Fork is one of those towns. As I explained above, the reasons why are many.

The local school has to pay another $10,000 bonus to find teachers. 95% of the teachers in Ash Fork do not even live in Ash Fork. They receive an extra $10,000 in pay for transportation costs as they come in from Williams, Flagstaff, Chino Valley and Prescott. They also run on a 4-day work/school week because of travel issues.

Living Off-Grid and hauling water is not appealing to the majority of people. Living in an area that has Flagstone quarries and having 18-wheelers drive through unpaved roads and private property is not appealing either. A dying town that is on life-support since Route 66 shutdown. One only needs to drive the 1-block that is Ash Fork "downtown" and most will leave saddened by what they see. What few businesses there were, now stand deteriorated, a run-down hotel that has turned into a drug & homeless haven, and homes that are run-down.

50 years from now, Ash Fork will be the same Ash Fork it is today, maybe worse.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:54 PM

509 posts, read 1,698,435 times
LBear , goodnes gracious !! why are you so negative about Ash Fork . i have lived here since"93" and yet have to see a 18 wheeler coming down my road . the only time i see one on the road is when they are leaving the quaries with flagstone . no matter how you compute the situation it jist don't make no sense . the are 52 miles of roads in KEW (Kaibab Estates West) , 22 miles of that are county maintained . the rest are . dirt roads . when the semis come from the quarry what road(s) do they take ? most direct ones i bet . they do not wander through the subdivision just for the fun of it . i carry a pistol in my vehicle because it is legal to do so . i have never pulled it on anyone . YET ! i have it for the reaon that if i need it is there .
since you were looking at property for the fun of it then i hope you get help .soon. i can find heck of a more mentaly stimulating thing to do than that .
now i wish you a super good day , smile and the world smiles with you .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona