Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2010, 09:45 AM

837 posts, read 2,248,547 times

Advertisements

come on, guys. painted fingernails is hardly cross-dressing. (not that there's anything wrong with that anyway!)

I'm actually getting a little soft spot in my heart for txdave, knowing he'll run around with black fingernails.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Obviously you didn't read my post. I painted them for Halloween, and let them naturally wear off which took about a week. Actually, it made me a bit self-conscious, and certainly uncomfortable when I felt forced to give an explanation to this guy in AR when I'm the freaking customer! It felt like he was asking because he didn't want "weirdos" staying at his place.

Excuse it all you want, it reeked of arrogance and awful customer service.
It was an honest question. Which you CHOSE to take offense at. I'm sorry, txdave, but you are CHOOSING to be unhappy. You come on here to have that CHOICE validated.

And I don't mean to insult you or demean you (and I think other posters do intend to be mean to you), but in order to persuade others that YOUR choice to be offended and unhappy is valid, you insult and demean the state and the people who live here. People dont respond well to that.

I think you've created a cycle of negativity, and the bad treatment you've received is real, not imaginary, but it's a cycle that YOU and only YOU have the ability to break out of. Instead of taking offense at every least little thing, step back and recognize that people normally don't try to offend others. Instead of feeding into this negative cycle, CHOOSE to be more upbeat and friendly.

I know you've said you tried to make friends, and I'm sure you've made overtures. But may I ask what kind of friend are you? Do you swamp your friends with complaints and stories of all the bad things that have happened to you? Or do you try to be enjoyable to be around? Tell funny stories, make jokes, have constructive conversations?

And finally, have you talked to a counselor or therapist? Because I'm concerned that you may be suffering from depression. Whether you realize it or not, your move from Texas from Arkansas was a major change in your life. Major changes can trigger depressive episodes. Especially when you don't have a strong support system available.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:31 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
come on, guys. painted fingernails is hardly cross-dressing. (not that there's anything wrong with that anyway!)

I'm actually getting a little soft spot in my heart for txdave, knowing he'll run around with black fingernails.
I'm pretty sure everyone agrees with you on this, Jenni. They/I are/am just messing with him because he's so negative, combative, and predictable.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:32 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
I have never understood this, but have encountered this mindset from friend in Missouri several times. Aside from St. Louis and Kansas City, Missouri is extremely similar to Arkansas in a lot of ways.
This!! But not that it's a bad thing. Missourians (outside of KC and StL people) have.. issues.. about being Southern, as you'll see if you ever hang out in the general Missouri sub-forum.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Again, my issue is consistancy. Certainly, I've encountered rude nasty ppl in Texas, and poor drivers. But here, it is overwhemingly negative. Like 9 out of 10 drivers don't use their blinkers or drive the speed limit. Am I being anal minded? No way. I worked in EMS for 5 years, and seen enough wrecks to know it is pure stupidity to not obey the driving laws.

It occurs on a daily basis here. Yesterday, I am in downtown LR, pedestrian light turns to go, I'm in the middle of the intersection, and suddenly this idiot driver makees a left hand turn right at me. I had to sprint to save my life!

And my posts are hard not to read? lol Is someone there forcing you to look at them? It is not my intention to offend here. Just trying to understand the culture and vent some frustration. Judging from other posts, I am not the only one with negative perceptions!
Dave, you are so full of yourself and Texas. I just can't understand why you stay in AR? Oh, I know, it is your job, but the market is pretty good in Texas right now. Our grandson, who is graduating from OU in Dec has had 2 really great employment offers in Texas.

I don't care if you are from Ca, AR, TX, Fl or where. It is a joke about drivers and Texas. Texans never use turn signals, at least the natives don't. And some of the fastest drivers in the country come from Texas. You can say some things about AR that might actually carry some weight, but when you start comparing the drivers, it becomes a joke. Actually, if there are any criticisms about the drivers it might be how slow they drive. Just ask people around AR that are in their 20s and 30s, especially those from other states. They think it is a joke the speed Arkansans drive.

By the way, if you think there are a lot of negative perceptions around here, try reading what people have to say about your home state, especially people from NM and California. and yes, many who live in Texas now. I do not happen to share their views but my guess, the most disliked state in the union might be Texas.

Nita

Old 11-09-2010, 12:30 PM

697 posts, read 1,774,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
This!! But not that it's a bad thing. Missourians (outside of KC and StL people) have.. issues.. about being Southern, as you'll see if you ever hang out in the general Missouri sub-forum.
It's true. It's also pretty funny sometimes- I was meeting with a family last year and after talking for a while the mother finally got up enough courage to ask some more honest questions, one of which was if her daughter would fit in here. She said she wasn't too familiar with the area, but was worried about it being too "country" for her daughter. Before I even got a chance to tell them a little more about the area, her husband burst out laughing and said "Hon, you do realize you're from Missouri right? Not everywhere can be the cosmopolitan mecca of Columbia, MO!". We all had a good laugh and since I actually am pretty familiar with Columbia, we talked about that and how there are some nice similarities between Columbia and Fayetteville and how NWA doesn't give off a "country" vibe, etc. I just got a kick out of her husband's comment (the family was from Illinois).

Old 11-09-2010, 01:24 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Dave, you are so full of yourself and Texas. I just can't understand why you stay in AR? Oh, I know, it is your job, but the market is pretty good in Texas right now. Our grandson, who is graduating from OU in Dec has had 2 really great employment offers in Texas.

I don't care if you are from Ca, AR, TX, Fl or where. It is a joke about drivers and Texas. Texans never use turn signals, at least the natives don't. And some of the fastest drivers in the country come from Texas. You can say some things about AR that might actually carry some weight, but when you start comparing the drivers, it becomes a joke. Actually, if there are any criticisms about the drivers it might be how slow they drive. Just ask people around AR that are in their 20s and 30s, especially those from other states. They think it is a joke the speed Arkansans drive.

By the way, if you think there are a lot of negative perceptions around here, try reading what people have to say about your home state, especially people from NM and California. and yes, many who live in Texas now. I do not happen to share their views but my guess, the most disliked state in the union might be Texas.

Nita
It is second on my list behind Arizona as my least favorite state. I would agree with Nita that it is probably high on the list of least liked States. I like Austin, but outside of that you can have it. The sprawl is just terrible...well I started to go on a rant, but it does not matter.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:04 PM

123 posts, read 408,991 times
Quote:
Welcome to you. I hope you enjoy living here, we have a heck of a lot of Cornhuskers around here. Yes, you are right. I would love to see some changes in AR, I would like to see a little more industry, but the charm is in the rural atmosphere. Not every state should be or can be NY for instance. That is what makes America so great, we are diverse and there is a place for everyone. There is no such thing as a bad state, just some pretty narrow minded people who consider themselves just a little better than the rest of the country. My feeling? These people, for the most part are not happy people.

We have lived in 5 state since we were married (I have lived in a few others prior to that) every state has some wonderful things and everyone should be proud to say XXX is my home, but that doesn't mean they are perfect. Yes, some I would rather live in than others, still none we have lived in is all negative.
Thanks for the welcome! I'm surprised to hear you say there are a lot of Cornhuskers in NWA. NE has a pretty small populous so I figured any Cornhusker fans would be pretty sparse. I'm a diehard fan, but I think the Razorbacks are a very good team as well. It could get ugly if we ever went to a bowl game with Arkansas though

I agree with you on your points as well. I like when outsiders move to my area most of the time...but the only thing that would bother me is liberals from the coastal areas moving in here because they can't find jobs on the coast, and then voting for liberals when they get here. Their states are messed up because of crooked politicians...no one wants them voted in here!

Old 11-09-2010, 03:15 PM

837 posts, read 2,248,547 times
hey, now, liberal =/= crooked!

Old 11-09-2010, 05:43 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,341 times
TxDave is alright. It was just for Halloween getup.

Has anyone seen this actor Jared Leto who used to date Cameron Diaz. He's like 55 years old, and wears eye makeup. It seems once you turn 22, you should be past the Goth look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas