Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
nmnita, you need to realize Little Rock is nothing like your community of Bella Vista. NWA is not Little Rock. Little Rock is nothing like (insert whatever city you have lived in). Little Rock has a lot of positives and negatives. It's a great place for some and hell for others so I completely understand bchris02s issues.

However, I have to agree with jenni-b. Little Rock does have most of the things bchris02 thinks it lacks. You just have to know where to look. Of course it's not going to be as good as NYC or LA or even Dallas but you can't say it's non-existing. LR has taken great strides the past few years to improve itself and I think it will eventually become a fantastic place to live.
I do realize that, each city, each area is different, but there are a few posting here that have probably never been to AR or they are judging all of AR on one location which is very narrow minded. I also agree about looking and you will find. Of course it isn't L.A. or NYC, but that is something that makes us special. Again, bchris does have reasons for wanting to leave. As I have said, nothing is right for everyone, but some of his assessment of our state are a little off base.

Nita

Old 05-24-2009, 05:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Interesting discusion.Someone says "Arkansas sucks", and then the chorus of "no it doesn't" rings out.Sounds familiar. I don't agree with everything said (I think Arkansas has culture, just doesn't jive with me) but the issues are legitimate, and should be open to more civil discussion than just "don't let the door hit you", or the even more vague "UH, UH! no it ain't!", or even worse "all places are like that". I know better. Sure, all places have problems, it's just a matter of what you're willing to put up with, and how much.The OP's issues are nothing new, and neither are txdave's. Or mine. We all have different reasons. I was young and single once in Little Rock. It can be a boring little town for that time in a persons life. Nothing wrong with that.Some are overwhelmed by it, believe it or not. Nothing wrong with that, either.It's not what I would consider a good place to raise a family, but some like it for just that. No problem. As for me, I'll probably end up raising the kiddos in Podunk,North Dakota before it's all over with.I'm over the Big City thing.Little Rock = Arkansas, and Arkansas = Little Rock. They are the same, because 62.54% of the people in LR moved there from some other part of the state like I did. That's where the "jobs" are. The whloe state is roughly the same, save for New California, which, by the way, is NOT midwestern. Far, far from it.There seems to be a lot of hostility towards those who criticize Arkansas. Let's face it. The state has some issues. First in everything you want to be last in, and vise versa. Side note: being friends with obese people can make you gain weight... it's happened to me. Yes, obesity is a concern to those who are not.Are there other places with the same problems? Of course. Does that mean we should act like they aren't problems anymore? Well...... it does not seemed to have worked on anything else we've done that with.
AS much as I do not always agree with you, a few things you are saying makes sense, but on the other hand, statements like the obesity problems should not have anything to do with liking or not liking a place. Judging the entire state by what one thinks of Little Rock is a little over the line, plus, like a few have said, yes, Little Rock as well as the rest of the state are not BIG CITY, this doesn't mean they are not diversified or totally boring. Add to that, one of my main gripes are people who come on these boards, have never lived in the state, probably never even driven through and make rash and blasting comments. For me, not all my comments today have been directed to OP, more to those who do not know anything about the state except what they may have read. Do the loyalists come out of the woodwork when negatives are posted? Of course, what would you expect? Everyone to sit on their A@@e@ and say nothing.

Nita

Old 05-24-2009, 05:56 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
Wow I must be crazy for wanting to leave all this "Culture and Diversity" here in California, for a state where you can Hunt in the "Deer Woods" without being called a murder..Where people actully look you in the eye and talk to you, rather than at you..Where you can go to a Mom and Pop Diner for bisquits and gravy, or fried chicken and mashed potato's that diidn't come out of a box...Every one is different, with different likes and dislikes...California has alot of great things about it.. So does Arkansas or Missouri or Oklahoma...When I retire in a few years I'd like to discover all the great things in those places

Old 05-24-2009, 08:00 PM
pau

45 posts, read 120,892 times
california will always be special too me. There is nothing like California and will go back to visit. I have made Arkansas my home and love it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
AS much as I do not always agree with you, a few things you are saying makes sense, but on the other hand, statements like the obesity problems should not have anything to do with liking or not liking a place. Judging the entire state by what one thinks of Little Rock is a little over the line, plus, like a few have said, yes, Little Rock as well as the rest of the state are not BIG CITY, this doesn't mean they are not diversified or totally boring. Add to that, one of my main gripes are people who come on these boards, have never lived in the state, probably never even driven through and make rash and blasting comments. For me, not all my comments today have been directed to OP, more to those who do not know anything about the state except what they may have read. Do the loyalists come out of the woodwork when negatives are posted? Of course, what would you expect? Everyone to sit on their A@@e@ and say nothing.

Nita

Old 05-24-2009, 08:43 PM

148 posts, read 350,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you got it Rog. I understand people not liking AR or any other place for that matter, but to blast it constantly serves no real purpose. Someone comes here, needs to know the best schools and XXX says, ABC has good schools, but watch out for DEF, I can buy. To answer a question with nothing but a bunch of negatives, shows little class as far as I am concerned and whould turn me off if I were trying to get honest opinions.

Nita
Is positivity the equivalent of honesty? I checked my thesaurus but didn't see the two listed as synonyms. IMHO, honesty sometimes means sharing a contrary view and adding in a bit of 'on the bright side' stuff to asuage the egos/feelings of others would actually make a post less authentic/honest. If I see that someone is sitting on a proven goldmine (as in a quality school system) and is about to sell it for a patch of fool's gold (a school system that does not serve its students as well), I'm going to tell them so. Frankly, I think too much time and energy is wasted on dancing around various issues rather than confronting them and discussing them openly and honestly.

Last edited by Sneezyone; 05-24-2009 at 09:31 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 09:38 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,945,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezyone View Post
Is positivity the equivalent of honesty? I checked my thesaurus but didn't see the two listed as synonyms. IMHO, honesty sometimes means sharing a contrary view and adding in a bit of 'on the bright side' stuff to asuage the egos/feelings of others would actually make a post less authentic/honest. If I see that someone is sitting on a proven goldmine (as in a quality school system) and is about to sell it for a patch of fool's gold (a school system that does not serve its students as well), I'm going to tell them so. Frankly, I think too much time and energy is wasted on dancing around various issues rather than confronting them and discussing them openly and honestly.
Well said.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:43 PM

157 posts, read 517,867 times
So I go to college out of state in a major city, and I have to admit that coming back to AR for the summer is a bit of a culture shock. I definitely empathize with bchris, because his sentiments are the same that have been echoed by many other young Arkansans. I love the natural side of Arkansas, and that is probably what keeps me attracted to the state, honestly, more than certain elements of the culture/people.

The truth is, bchris isn't all that far off the mark. I know a few other Arkansans (six) at this college I go to, and all of us would be Governor's Distinguished Scholars had we gone in-state (i.e., full ride anywhere in state). But none of us have any intentions of coming back. Some are certain they don't ever want to go back, while others are open to going back, but simply don't have any opportunities to come back to. I'm in the latter category.

On one level, Arkansas is what is: Little Rock will never be a Dallas--at least not in the near future--and the state will not become an enlightened capital of innovation/education. It needs to be accepted for what it is. But that's not to say Arkansas can't be better. The truth is, there ARE objective ways to measure "progress," and AR should do better. But there is an obstinate cultural element in Arkansas that prefers not to ask the hard questions, and prefers to stay insular (and is in fact proud of it, at times, as evidenced on this forum). It is this element that many Arkansans flee from (,and it is this element that some from other states are attracted to).

But whatever. I'm just beating a dead horse. I think it would be interesting to map high school performance of students in Arkansas (ACT/SAT scores, GPA), and whether they stayed in state. I'm almost certain there's an inverse relationship, based on people I know.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:46 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I don't understand why everyone gets so defensive when someone says that there is something about Arkansas that they don't like. If I were retired and on a fixed income and wanted a cheap, quiet, place with relatively low crime rates, Arkansas would probably be a good option for me. If I was a person who enjoyed rural living, then I think Arkansas would be a good option. I am neither.[/b] I think, the OP is correct if you want the things that the OP wants there are certainly better places than Arkansas.
Notice there are no younger people on here defending Arkansas. Everybody who loves it and its lifestyle are older people and retirees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I do agree that he should probably give Little Rock more of a chance. I liked living there, when I did live there. I am trying to get back now, but certainly it does not compare to Dallas or Atlanta.
I lived in Fort Smith for five and a half years and Little Rock for a year in a half. Little Rock is larger and offers a bit more than Fort Smith, but is still severely lacking against even its peer cities, let alone larger cities like Dallas, Atlanta, Memphis, Charlotte, etc. The same culture permeates both towns. Upon high school graduation, college graduation, and my job loss, I always made plans to leave but against my better judgment ended up sticking around and giving it another chance. I think I have given this place more chances than it deserves.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:59 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,945,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Notice there are no younger people on here defending Arkansas. Everybody who loves it and its lifestyle are older people and retirees.

I lived in Fort Smith for five and a half years and Little Rock for a year in a half. Little Rock is larger and offers a bit more than Fort Smith, but is still severely lacking against even its peer cities, let alone larger cities like Dallas, Atlanta, Memphis, Charlotte, etc. The same culture permeates both towns. Upon high school graduation, college graduation, and my job loss, I always made plans to leave but against my better judgment ended up sticking around and giving it another chance. I think I have given this place more chances than it deserves.
I read somewhere that Arkansas has the highest per capita number of persons on social security. I think that is going to continue. With so many baby boomers retiring they are going to look for places to retire. Housing costs in Florida and Arizona have gone up tremendously. Arkansas is looking more and more like a good retirement state for many in other states. There are a lot of transplants moving to Arkansas but all of the ones that I have met are the ones who are retiring here.

Those people are certainly not looking for the same things that younger people are looking for. In fact, more jobs means more growth, and I don't believe that retirees are looking for growth. With growth prices go up and there is more congestion. I am afraid that there will simply continue to be a youth drain. More and more people leaving high school and college will just leave and not return.
I would love to leave and go back from which I came, but it is just impossible at this time. I am just trying to do as well as I can to focus on the things that I like here until that time.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:38 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,490,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthog61 View Post
My, but aren't you a bigot, but a well-traveled once since I don't know anyone else who has been to every town in the South.

There are folks who say everyone from NYC is an uncouth jackass and while you wouldn't provide any evidence to the contrary I would disagree.
There are folks who say everyone from the south is a redneck and I agree with them

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 05-24-2009 at 11:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas