Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2013, 08:20 PM

733 posts, read 1,755,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
You will definitely enjoy that drive! I'm not sure there is a better option.
Great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 01:09 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,400,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
Hopefully I get a reply, because this will be my first Fall here in Arkansas and I want to experience it the best I can! I live in Bentonville, and from a bit of research, I have decided what drive I will take when I take my Fall drive. I plan on driving South on US 71 past Fort Smith to Highway 23 in Elm Park where I will follow Highway 23 North all the way up to Eureka Springs. Will I enjoy that drive, or does someone have a different, possibly better option for me?

you really need to make this drive in the fall, to see the leaves, in the winter, to see the landscape, and in the spring, roll your windows down for this one.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:45 PM

733 posts, read 1,755,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
you really need to make this drive in the fall, to see the leaves, in the winter, to see the landscape, and in the spring, roll your windows down for this one.
During the Winter as in after a snowstorm? What exactly am I looking for during the Spring?

Old 10-08-2013, 09:53 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,400,038 times
during the winter, when the leaves are gone, you can really see the terrain. it is just another view that is blocked by all the foliage.

this past spring, i spent a weekend traveling the same area, but it snowed for 3 days in may. it was beautiful, but not the normal spring trip i had envisioned.

take a spring float on the buffalo river and you will get the picture! if you only have a few hours, take the ponca to steel creek float. if you have most of the day, take the ponca to kyle's landing float. normally, spring is the only time that there is enough water to float this section.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:19 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Yes, winter in the Ozarks is great also, for the reason given by latunafish. The huge boulders are also visible, and are something to behold. I love rocks! And the vistas are also wider because of the leaves being gone.

In the spring, the new leaves on the trees are all different shades of bright green, the redbud and dogwood trees are blooming madly, the water is usually rushing in all the rivers and creeks, the cutest wildflowers you've ever seen are carpeting the ground everywhere, and the air has a magical quality to it....probably the reason latunafish said to roll down the windows!

Every season is great in the Ozarks....the only less-than-great time is during a hot summer, when there has been no rain and there is not much water running anywhere. But even then, it's beautiful....from inside an air-conditioned car! Of course, if you like swimming in lakes, there's always that in the hot summer time. And plenty of beautiful state park lodges with nice swimming pools.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:27 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times
I too like to drive, and look, in the winter when the leaves are gone, and especially when there has been a light "dusting" of snow. Once, in those conditions, I was driving a road I had traveled many, many times over the years. From the "corner of my eye" I saw a structure up in the woods I had never seen before. I stopped, backed up, and saw an old road/trail going to it. Of course I had to check it out and found an abandoned old, probably early 20th Century, farm house. As I checked it out, and continued looking through the woods, I saw three or four others of the same vintage. I never tried to find out the history, but I suspect it was an extended family community that over the years was abandoned for reasons unknown to me. That's the reason my profile states; "I gotta go see it"

Last edited by ArkansasSlim; 10-08-2013 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Added cmment.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:02 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
LOL @ Slim....I'm the same way! Looking at old, abandoned houses is just my type of thing....I don't know why. I always enjoy imagining how the people lived there. And sometimes it makes me sad, when it's a nice old house that could have been saved.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:08 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,335 times
Sorry yall, but I had to post just to change the number of replies to 667. Thanks, carry on. I know it says 668, but on the full list of threads it said one less.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:00 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,505 times
Is it a coincidence that the 666th post of the exploring Arkansas thread coincided with the government shutdown?

Old 10-18-2013, 05:10 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times
FriendlyFeller - 666 & shutdown - Now that explains an experience I had out in the boonies yesterday. I was way out in the middle-of-nowhere and heard a very strange "rushing" sound. It seemed to be coming from everywhere; above, below, and all around. When I got home I realized what it was. I found out the shutdown had been lifted and the sound I heard was a sigh of relief from people all over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas