Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 03:17 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times

Advertisements

When we are out thrashing through the brush following a lead on a pioneer homestead site we have to be very careful and watch for open dug wells. Often they are hidden by underbrush. Also in the mercury district of east Pike and west Clark Counties we have to watch for open mine shafts. One day we were trying to turn around on a mountain top and were ready to drive over some underbrush when we saw the brush was hiding a mine shaft. That got our attention! In fact, we called it a day and went home. Thankfully the well in this photo is covered by old bed springs and is not hidden by brush. It is the only evidence, out in the middle of nowhere in east Pike County, that in 1908/09 my maternal grandpa hand dug this well and built a house for his bride. At that time it was in a well populated farming community, but now there is nothing but trees.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-papas-well.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 06:54 PM

Many of my past photos were associated with the "No Man's Land Wildfire" fire line and there will be more in the future. For those of you who are familiar with Topo Maps, the attached map will give you an idea of the terrain we were working in. We had crossed the mountain to the left, walked up the creek valley for a couple miles, then crossed the mountain to the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-map-2.jpg  

Old 04-21-2010, 02:37 PM

This metate was found on the fire line in a push-pile of rocks. It is unusual to find one in the Ouachita Mountains because most of the Indian stuff found there was deposited before the metate was being used.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-metate.jpg  

Old 04-22-2010, 03:58 PM

This stuck drill bit is in the side of the manganese pit mine I showed in post #140. I'll bet that made some mine boss unhappy. The manganese ore is in a seam within the novaculite bed-rock, and that bed-rock is hard and will eat up a drill bit. I suspect the driller got out of the ore into the bed-rock and the evidence is still there.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-drill-bit.jpg  

Old 04-23-2010, 12:25 PM

We were supposed to go to west Clark County today but a conflict presented it's self. Probably a good thing because I understand there were some pretty good thunder storms in the area. We had planned to walk over a 20 acre freshly clear-cut area which is one of the best places to find Indian stuff and old pioneer home places. We normally GPS and document each site for an archeology report.

But, we didn't make it so here is another photo that was taken in the vicinity of previous Posts 71 and 113. We (me in the hard-hat) are discussing an artifact that was found on the foggy mountain top.

I like the hard-hat. It is required on the National Forest but I always wear one when we are working in a wooded area because I can pretend to be a football fullback and lower my head and crash through the brush.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-chester-george-meeks.jpg  

Old 04-25-2010, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,636 times
Default visiting murfeesboro soon

I plan to visit Murfeesboro,Ar soon I was just wondering should I stay there my whole trip which is 4days or leave and go to Little Rock?? I have never been to Arkansas before and driving from Texas how ever my main plan was to go dimond digging but I have read some reviews about the small town which there is not much more to do there,What would be the best place to stay ??I would also like to visit the waterfalls in other areas and the pretty seneray alittle help would be useful.
Thanks

Old 04-25-2010, 06:48 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
One day playing in the dirt in Mufreesboro. One day in Hot Springs, and the last two in Little Rock. You would stay busy the whole time.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa4433 View Post
I plan to visit Murfeesboro,Ar soon I was just wondering should I stay there my whole trip which is 4days or leave and go to Little Rock?? I have never been to Arkansas before and driving from Texas how ever my main plan was to go dimond digging but I have read some reviews about the small town which there is not much more to do there,What would be the best place to stay ??I would also like to visit the waterfalls in other areas and the pretty seneray alittle help would be useful.
Thanks
Your reading is correct that there is nothing to do in Murfreesboro. It is a small farming and timber town with no activity. There are two motels in town and the one I have stayed in, in the past, is an old two story home that has been turned into a motel with an addition attached to it. It isn't fancy, but it's clean. Since your primary interest is digging for diamonds and you have only four days, I would use that as my "base of operations". After you get tired of playing in the dirt, you will be only about 40 miles or so from the Ouachita Mountains which I write about so much. There you will see wonderful scenery (my biased point of view) and may visit the Little Missouri Falls. These falls are small compared to what you see on TV, but they involve unique geological formations. There is also a great hiking trail and a small recreation lake area in the mountains.

Do you have an Arkansas Highway map? I would not drive to Little Rock. That would be a three hour drive, and in my opinion, nothing gained from it. If you can't handle the Murfreesboro motel for four nights, you may consider Hope, which has some better motels, or go on to Texarkana. But if you do that, that will put you farther away from the mountains.

If you have any specific questions, you may reply to this post or send me a Direct Message. Have a fun trip.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:36 PM

This cemetery is associated with the abandoned church at Post #15. I didn't give the name of the church at that time but it is "Piney Ridge". "Friendship Circle #363" on the tombstone is a fraternal organization for African-American women, but I can not find any details about it. We often do find this type tombstone in their cemeteries. It could be a branch of "Mosaic Templars" that sold health, death, and burial insurance to the black community. The burial insurance included a tombstone. There were different styles of stones but they all had the logo on the top or front.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-piney-ridge-cemetery-1.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-piney-ridge-cemetery-2.jpg  

Old 04-27-2010, 10:34 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa4433 View Post
I plan to visit Murfeesboro,Ar soon I was just wondering should I stay there my whole trip which is 4days or leave and go to Little Rock??
Forget Little Rock, it's just a city, nothin' special. If you want scenery, go on to Hot Springs and explore around there after you dig for diamonds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas