Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 06:25 AM

603 posts, read 1,631,096 times

Advertisements

Indonesians can look Chinese sometimes but they look closer to Thai and Vietnamese.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:26 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania View Post
I think most people in Southeast Asia have a lot of brown skin type, if they have light skin, it's because the weather is cool , this occurs as some places in western Indonesia and in some areas in northern Vietnam, and the population of overseas chinese living in Se-asian.
I think for the South East Asians .. types of light-skinned people are "Singaporean" almost 70-85%, because they are chinese ( northeast Asian ) descent. This country is very beautiful ...city ​​building ordinances is very good even in Asia, the neighbor country closest to Indonesia,...
A lot of Chinese are quite dark too, some of them look Malay.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:13 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania View Post
I see many Indonesian look a like chinese, especially skin : white / yellow and Eye : slanted eyes / small almond.
but there is little a similar.. Vietnemese , Malay, thais & filipino them categorized as as brown skin.
In Australia, America and Europe sometimes makes mistake Indonesians with chinese
Chinese-Indonesians LOOK Chinese. If you've been in the West, most of the Indonesians you'll meet, will most likely be CHINESE-Indonesians. This means they are ethnically Chinese, and they were born and raised and grew up in Indonesia, as did their parents most likely as well.

Most Muslim or Hindu Indonesians (basically everyone who isn't Chinese-Indonesian) is of MALAY stock. This means they will look very much like Malaysian people - who tend to be much darker skinned, etc. Filipinos fit in this category as well.

People of MALAY stock will look much different than people of Chinese ethnicity.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
A lot of Chinese are quite dark too, some of them look Malay.
I think that would only be true for someone who had very little familiarity with Asian people.

For people that live in Asia, or familiar with Asian people, Malay and Chinese people look VERY VERY different.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Chinese-Indonesians LOOK Chinese. If you've been in the West, most of the Indonesians you'll meet, will most likely be CHINESE-Indonesians. This means they are ethnically Chinese, and they were born and raised and grew up in Indonesia, as did their parents most likely as well.

Most Muslim or Hindu Indonesians (basically everyone who isn't Chinese-Indonesian) is of MALAY stock. This means they will look very much like Malaysian people - who tend to be much darker skinned, etc. Filipinos fit in this category as well.

People of MALAY stock will look much different than people of Chinese ethnicity.
On a world scale I think Southern Chinese and Malays aren't that different...I also notice many Indonesians who seem between the typical Malay and typical Chinese look, I think they're probably mixed.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I think that would only be true for someone who had very little familiarity with Asian people.

For people that live in Asia, or familiar with Asian people, Malay and Chinese people look VERY VERY different.
Ha, I'm very familiar with Asian and Asian people - how they look. My father is Malaysian, of mostly Chinese ancestry, but his mother was Peranakan which is a mix of Chinese and Malay. I bet you couldn't tell if my uncle was Malay or Chinese if you saw photos of him...my grandfather in his younger days too. I know a few Chinese people in Malaysia who get mistaken for Malays. Of course, there are Malays that look more Chinese and Chinese that look more Malay...many Malays also mixed with Arabs and Indians. There are some Chinese one could never mistaken for Malay and some Malays that would never be mistaken for Chinese but there's a lot of middle ground. Maybe it's because we're more 'Austronesian' looking. I've seen many women in Malaysia with pale skin and Chinese looking eyes wearing the hijab. My sister is often mistaken for Filipino or even Polynesian even though our ancestry is mostly Chinese.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
On a world scale I think Southern Chinese and Malays aren't that different...I also notice many Indonesians who seem between the typical Malay and typical Chinese look, I think they're probably mixed.
I am living in South China now, and I can spot the Filipino from a mile away, among the Southern Chinese. If they are Indonesian, they are even a tad bit darker than Filipino, and still have that VERY non-Chinese face.

Not only the skin color, but also the face and eyes are drastically different. They also have slightly different looking bodies, that's also hard to quantify, but very clear if a person is familiar with seeing both types of people regularly.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Ha, I'm very familiar with Asian and Asian people - how they look. My father is Malaysian, of mostly Chinese ancestry, but his mother was Peranakan which is a mix of Chinese and Malay. I bet you couldn't tell if my uncle was Malay or Chinese if you saw photos of him...
You are right, because he's a mix of Chinese and Malay. So, being that he isn't 100% pure Malay stock and not 100% Chinese stock, he would logically be difficult to decipher.

But, the question isn't really do 'mixed' people look Chinese or Indonesian. The question is do Indonesians look Chinese. If they don't have Chinese blood in them, than No, they do not.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:09 PM

183 posts, read 295,352 times
its a question of climate the majority of spanish people dont look like the majority of french people yet caucasian is the general term

Old 08-25-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I am living in South China now, and I can spot the Filipino from a mile away, among the Southern Chinese. If they are Indonesian, they are even a tad bit darker than Filipino, and still have that VERY non-Chinese face.

Not only the skin color, but also the face and eyes are drastically different. They also have slightly different looking bodies, that's also hard to quantify, but very clear if a person is familiar with seeing both types of people regularly.
That's true, I suppose I see quite a lot of Malays in Malaysia and Singapore who don't have that strongly Austronesian look, but some do. Filipinos and 'Indonesians' (which aren't one ethnic group) that work as domestics often look particularly 'unn-Chinese.' I think I would call some Chinese I see 'Austronesian light' in that they can be confused as Malay but don't necessarily look strongly Malayoid.

Some Chinese do have large eyes, broad noses...some Malay types do have deeper set eyes and more prominent brow ridges, but not all...quite a few do not. Chinese are often fairer and taller too...it seems it's typical for Filipino or Indonesian maids to be under 5 feet.

I'm of course familiar with seeing the two types, but all I'm saying is there is also a bit of an overlap, that might not be apparent to those who don't personally know these people. Intermixing might be part of it, but it's not all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia