Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 03:35 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
That's already very different. Italians have dark features. If it's an Italian and Spanish or Portuguese, maybe one can get a little confused though I can always tell an Italian apart. But Portuguese and Spanish are really too similar.
Not all Italians do, especially in the north. And dark features simply make it easy to tell apart peoples, but they're just one feature. There are a million other thing like height, body shape, head shape, nose, eyes, mouth. Genetically, Italians and Finns are a similar distance from each other as Koreans are from Cambodians. In the old 'racial classification' system Mongoloids included people from as diverse places as Siberia and Indonesia. While of course very different, there were features that designated them as 'Mongoloid.'

Old 09-04-2013, 03:37 AM

183 posts, read 295,340 times
enabling to differentiate means you have an understanding of the factors to which one differentiates by hence control and therefore command so I hope racial feature dynamics get fluider for a more informed society for me the differentiating factor for the japanese skin color compared to most koreans and depending on the region of japan said japanese come from of course the eye size is also a factor head size well is there a statistical site for national hbpms (and no diet is becoming more global with the certain exception of africa which is catching up) and dont get me wrong but differentiating between people with black skin and of asian origin is easier when it comes to the eye skin color is more easily discerned than the size of the eyes

Old 09-04-2013, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I feel like Japanese look very distinct. I can easily spot the Japanese person in Korea. The teeth, the noses, the weaker jawlines, the way many walk, etc.

Koreans also look very distinct. Koreans often have big heads, stronger model-like jawlines, smaller eyes, thicker hair, etc.

Chinese are the most difficult, as the country is just so huge. There is just too much variation.

That being said, this entire thread is one of those 'all black people look alike', 'all white people look alike', and 'all asian people look alike' types of threads.

If someone really believes that Indonesians look like Japanese or whatever else....than that's just the way they see it. To me, they couldn't look more different.
I agree. Japanese are easier to tell apart than Koreans. But Koreans and N. Chinese look similar. I can easily tell apart S. Chinese and Koreans.

Yes Japanese don't really look Indonesia, although there is definitely overlap. There are some dark Japanese with more Austronesian features that could pass as native Javanese etc to a westerner at least. I'm not sure if the opposite is true, though, I mean some could, but of course there's more Chinese ancestry in Java than say Indonesian ancestry in China, although southern China used to be inhabited by Austronesian speaking peoples. So genetically, of course a Japanese person is closer to an Indonesian than say an Italian, but in Asia they're quite divergent. I'd say Japanese are closer to SE Asians in general than Koreans, N. Chinese/Jurchen, Mongolians, Tibetans, Evenkis, Yakuts, Buryats.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:42 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I agree. Japanese are easier to tell apart than Koreans. But Koreans and N. Chinese look similar. I can easily tell apart S. Chinese and Koreans.
Agreed about the N. Chinese and Koreans. I've also met Mongolians who look very similar to Koreans. So, yeah, northern China bordering on Korea and Mongolia, not to mention the millions and millions of ethnic Koreans living in that region of China as well.

That part of China, it gets very difficult to see based on the borders.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Agreed about the N. Chinese and Koreans. I've also met Mongolians who look very similar to Koreans. So, yeah, northern China bordering on Korea and Mongolia, not to mention the millions and millions of ethnic Koreans living in that region of China as well.

Basically, I think Koreans are a mix of 'Altaic' which looks similar to Mongolians (e.g. say Daniel Dae-Kim) and then you have some that look more Japanese, and some who look more northern Chinese. I knew a middle aged Korean lady who I thought looked Thai, but I haven't seen many like her. I actually think Koreans are more diverse lookswise than given credit for, but not as diverse as Japanese. Japanese can look like a lot of Asian nationalities imo. Some Koreans, however, have pretty broad noses (some Japanese too) more typical of S. Chinese and SE Asians. I typically think the 'typical Japanese look' as being more narrow faced, 'weaker' or slimmer chin (less pronounced jaws than Koreans), variable sized eyes but larger than N. Chinese or Koreans in general, and fairly small, narrow noses.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:12 AM

183 posts, read 295,340 times
Quote:

to a degree I wold say and the correlative scale (sorry the original is scaled correlation I know but I like this one more sue me)
people from northern china can be well northern scandinavian countries of europe koreans north eastern europe and western asia mongolians well part of my ancestors I would say are a band apart (purely for romantic reasons belonging and all that jazz)
by the way tiger beer such a nice nickname inspired by beer making I hope cause I am a fan of homebrewing nothing like the beer you make and drink it from the tap

Old 09-04-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
Chinese in Indonesia who are mostly descendants Han , but after do some research, did not all come from " Han Chinese ".. but there " Chinese Indonesian " a descendant of the Manchus from dynasty (Qing).
Are you sure you know what you're talking about? lol...the majority of Chinese who came to Indonesia came from Fujian province, in Southeastern China. I doubt many of those were Manchu...the Manchu were generally the elite of society, and their descendants (mixed with Han to a large extent) mostly inhabit the north of China.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
This true, some chinese Indonesian has descent Manchus (Qing Dynasty). I think not only come fujian from but there are from guangdong and beijing.
almost all Chinese Indonesian do not know their family in china, this is a fact . Is it same with chinese in malaysia / singapore?
A small minority were Manchu. I think you might be confusing the Qing dynasty era with the Manchu people. Yes it's true, most Indonesians of Chinese descent came during the Qing dynasty, but they've been coming for a lot longer. There was even a Chinese colony in Borneo. Some from Guangdong, and fewer from the rest of China. Most Singapore and Malaysian Chinese can trace their ancestry at least to when they came to South-East Asia.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:33 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,206 times
Quote:
spanish, dutch, german,italian, english, american us, australian, Portuguese, Norwegian, to me they look the same. what makes them different? I thought all the same.
Dutch and Spanish look the same, they do not differ at all,
then Italian are nice people and they have a lot of white skin
Don't give me that confused look Stevania. I thought that it's only Chinese people who think all white people look the same. I thought since Indonesia was once a Dutch colony, people are already very familiar with the physical characteristics of Dutch people... I think most of them are tall.
Not all Europeans look the same. Not all Europeans have the same skin colour or hair colour. Some are whiter than others, some are too pale, some are tan, some are blonds, some are brunettes. Some are tall some are short.
Portuguese, Italians and Spaniards are similar in colour and looks as well as height as they are all Latins though most of the time, Italian men are more good looking ( to me ).

Old 09-04-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Don't give me that confused look Stevania. I thought that it's only Chinese people who think all white people look the same. I thought since Indonesia was once a Dutch colony, people are already very familiar with the physical characteristics of Dutch people... I think most of them are tall.
Not all Europeans look the same. Not all Europeans have the same skin colour or hair colour. Some are whiter than others, some are too pale, some are tan, some are blonds, some are brunettes. Some are tall some are short.
Portuguese, Italians and Spaniards are similar in colour and looks as well as height as they are all Latins though most of the time, Italian men are more good looking ( to me ).
Yes it's pretty easy to tell the difference between Europeans, at the very least Nordic/Germanic types and Mediterranean peoples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia