Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 05:49 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times

Advertisements

https://news.yahoo.com/chinese-malay...175706911.html

https://news.trust.org/item/20200418060154-w41ti

Old 04-19-2020, 01:16 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,099 times
The epicenter is likely not in Wuhan but somewhere south.

Coronavirus may have started spreading in September, scientists say

The coronavirus outbreak could have began in mid-September, British scientists studying the diseases mutations have claimed. They also believe it may not have started in the Chinese city of Wuhan as is widely believed. Researchers from the University of Cambridge are trying to trace the origins of the deadly disease by mapping its genetic history to patient zero.

Type A of coronavirus is believed to be the original human virus genome and the closest to the type of Covid-19 found in bats. It has been found in Chinese and American patients but it is not China’s most common variant.

The People’s Republic along with Britain and Europe has mostly been hit with type B – the variant found most often in Wuhan, Hubei Province which was in circulation as early as Christmas Eve.

But about 500 miles away in Guandong province, seven of 11 samples found in patients were found to be variant A, casting doubt on the origin of the outbreak.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:18 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ource-coronav/

Old 04-19-2020, 11:59 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
The epicenter is likely not in Wuhan but somewhere south.

Coronavirus may have started spreading in September, scientists say

The coronavirus outbreak could have began in mid-September, British scientists studying the diseases mutations have claimed. They also believe it may not have started in the Chinese city of Wuhan as is widely believed. Researchers from the University of Cambridge are trying to trace the origins of the deadly disease by mapping its genetic history to patient zero.

Type A of coronavirus is believed to be the original human virus genome and the closest to the type of Covid-19 found in bats. It has been found in Chinese and American patients but it is not China’s most common variant.

The People’s Republic along with Britain and Europe has mostly been hit with type B – the variant found most often in Wuhan, Hubei Province which was in circulation as early as Christmas Eve.

But about 500 miles away in Guandong province, seven of 11 samples found in patients were found to be variant A, casting doubt on the origin of the outbreak.
Interesting. And has variant A been found outside China as well?

Old 04-19-2020, 01:23 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Interesting. And has variant A been found outside China as well?
https://amp.scmp.com/news/china/scie...searchers-find

Old 04-19-2020, 01:57 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I suppose they would have to take the migrations of the Chinese during that time in consideration. Like, were there people moving between the Hubei and Guangdong provinces, and in which direction? They had or intended to have their new year festivities around that time if I remember correctly.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:58 PM

4,897 posts, read 2,053,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
If their numbers are accurate than having 80 cases /day out of billion and more people makes rabbies "very common" in contrast, no need to panic.
Ha!!! That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard today... “If their numbers are accurate...”. When has the CCP EVER stated accurate informational to the world?

Only a simple minded person would believe the CCP propaganda efforts... Or a CCP bot spreading more disinformation to cover up the real numbers of infected people and the actual death numbers in China... This is coming from the various Asian, European and American intelligence sources.

To be honest, most, if not all of the world isn’t falling for the lies China are spreading, in an unsuccessful attempt to cover up their irresponsible actions, before, during and after this pandemic. China will pay a price since many nations are preparing to move most of their critical manufacturing out of China to either their home countries or to other countries in SE Asia and Central/South America.

Btw, yes, I’m an American.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:52 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
China didn't count people who don't show symptoms but test positive. You can multiple the number of cases by 5.

There may be problems with the accuracy of the coronavirus tests. They're seeing the same thing here.

There are integrity problems throughout the data in all countries because the virus is new and there weren't enough test kits.

I doubt much will happen with moving plants back. If they move, they have to go to a cheaper location, probably in SE Asia. That migration has been happening for a decade.

I remember the Buy USA movement for computers. Nobody bought them. They can't afford to pay $2500 for a PC that can be made overseas for $500.

many have no symptoms

They can miss the virus with the swabs if it doesn't pick up enough material. A Japanese study also found half of the people without symptoms later got sick.

Last edited by lchoro; 04-20-2020 at 09:02 AM..

Old 04-20-2020, 08:37 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Some manufacturing certainly can go back to the US or various EU nations; when I worked in a hospital about 11 years ago in Seattle, most of our masks and PPE were made in the US. Same up till 2014, when I managed bars and hotels... most of that stuff was domestically-made. I'm not sure when this diametric shift in manufacturing for items like this happened, but it wasn't all that long ago; with the right financial incentives, these places could be opened back up. It would be beneficial to the domestic economy.

With some items, such as electronic components (LED's, etc), the infrastructure and supply chains that are in China basically don't exist anymore in the US. It's been a long time since there have been TV's, phones, etc made in the US, to any meaningful degree, and because of the high wages, environmental laws, etc, it wouldn't make much sense. However, manufacturing for a lot of these items has been moving to SEA nations for some time, increasingly over the last few years, and I think that after this, you will see a rush for the door from foreign manufacturers. Even some Chinese companies have been moving production to Vietnam, Thailand, etc, as the cost of labor in China goes up; also, you don't have to deal with the yearly Spring Festival shutdown, and other local quirks which can be quite frustrating.

Other lower-grade manufacturing such as textiles, metals, plastics, toys, furniture, etc may also pop up in Latin America; I know a few guys who closed shop here and moved to Mexico. There are issues with safety, due to gang/cartel violence, but if you do it in the right area, it's not insurmountable. The cost of labor is similar or even lower, lead times to the US/CAN and EU are slashed, etc, plus the Mexican government is generally more amicable by Western standards in that it doesn't have any substantial military or territorial aspirations, espionage programs, or deep-seated, simmering historical grievances towards other nations. Mexico is doing a lot to try to entice businesses to open there; we'll see how it pans out.

One way or the other, it seems like the last few months have been a rollercoaster of global sentiment, with China looking bad, then coming in to be the world's savior, and then opinion swinging back towards the negative, and this will likely continue for some time. Fears of a new surge of cases centered around GZ, domestic and global discontent over the perceived inaccuracy of the Wuhan death tolls ("of course they aren't accurate" is what I've heard from literally every Chinese person I've spoken to when they topic has come up, even if they are still staunchly pro-CCP/XJP) are battering the sentiment that China "beat" the virus and that they should be emulated or admired. Again, it's up in the air, but China's soft power is historically quite weak, and I don't see anything in the short term that will give rise to a surge in global sentiment.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:05 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
They don't have any real case against China. It is a mutation of a respiratory virus, of which there are many. Trump begged them over the weekend to admit responsibility and there would be no penalties. The opinion is manufactured in the US as much as it in China or elsewhere. It can swing in any direction, especially if there is official backing behind it since the media, intelligence services, etc. can all play a role in it. Once you weed out the Trump defenders, it becomes more neutral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia