Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 02:59 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Gimme a break. Most Chinese are jingoistic. They listen to the party and whenever the party asks them to boycott certain company, they really follow the order. That is why Korean conglomerate Lotte has to cease operation in China after Chinese consumers stopped shopping in its department stores and supermarkets under Chinese government propaganda.
There must have been a good reason why they did that, Lotte must have done something because other Korean companies don't have such problems in China.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:28 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
There must have been a good reason why they did that, Lotte must have done something because other Korean companies don't have such problems in China.
That was the time when Korean government decided to install the THAAD air defense system in Seoul. Chinese government, instead of blaming North Korea in inciting the tension, pointed finger at South Korea. Lotte was then the target of revenge.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:43 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
News media is all over China delaying pandemic warning for six days after the data initially suggested as such

link

That actually looks pretty good compared to the US. The left side of the curve is a little over two months. I think Trump's delay was primarily due to waiting for the pandemic reaching the United States. It was a good two months after the China lockdown that the first US lockdown was imposed in San Francisco.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:47 PM

769 posts, read 1,006,825 times
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN21X0VY

I think there is increasing resentment against the Chinese government in the West (and many other parts of the world too) as a result of this pandemic and how they misled the rest of world.

But we won't know how, if at all, it will manifest itself until after the dust begins to settle.

Personally, I think it would be wise to at least re-assess how we conduct business with China going forward. The CCP is not some benign government. It is a totalitarian dictatorship akin to the one in Saudi Arabia.

Some things need to, undoubtedly, change. But like I said, how that happens and to what extent is anyone's guess at this point.

First thing first is that we have to continue to get the virus situation under control. Begin re-opening our countries back up and then sort the rest of this out.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
That was the time when Korean government decided to install the THAAD air defense system in Seoul. Chinese government, instead of blaming North Korea in inciting the tension, pointed finger at South Korea. Lotte was then the target of revenge.
Well, I have read it up meanwhile, the system was installed on Lotte land. That's why...

Old 04-15-2020, 04:01 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
Quote:
No, I don't like any political parties, I am an individualist and detest organizations/groups. That's why I have never participated in elections in all my life, none represents my beliefs. Nor am I religious, same problem.

Regarding China, all I see is a propaganda war that started long before corona. Neither side can be trusted.

You say you don't like any political parties and are an individual but in every post you support Communist party of china. The party detests individuals and prizes stability and the state above all else. Confucius says obey.

Old 04-15-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
You say you don't like any political parties and are an individual but in every post you support Communist party of china. The party detests individuals and prizes stability and the state above all else. Confucius says obey.
I tend to defend China, not the party. In fact, their communist party is a disgrace to communism, a fake label.

Old 04-15-2020, 04:11 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
Quote:
I tend to defend China, not the party. In fact, their communist party is a disgrace to communism, a fake label.

you're not defending china or the culture. You're defending the party and their policies foreign and domestic.

Old 04-15-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
you're not defending china or the culture. You're defending the party and their policies foreign and domestic.
In many cases it happens to be the same.
I don't really have a problem with their foreign politics, but internally, their Gini index is way too poor for a communist country. I also don't like their continued smuggling of ivory and such things.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:39 PM

588 posts, read 796,072 times
Quote:
Your daily dose of anti-China propaganda? Do you get paid for doing that?

Anyway, regarding the Africans in China, I actually understand the Chinese. To them Africans look all the same, and when according to tests about 1 in 40 of that alien community is infected, naturally the Chinese are scared because 2.5% is a rather high percentage.
The Chinese even rioted when the isolation of Hubei was ended, Hubei residents are the same thing, a group known to have a lot of infections, it has nothing to do with race because people in Hubei are also Han Chinese.
Although this thread has gone off the rails more than a few times, the topic is nonetheless interesting to me. I am a US citizen and permanent resident of China. I tend to take a bird's-eye view of the world and do my best to exercise critical thinking.

Much of the world, including both the US and China, have become more nationalistic for a variety of reasons. I'm afraid that the pandemic will further enhance this trend. I've enjoyed living in Shanghai for quite a few years, but I have noticed some subtle changes during the past couple of years when I leave this international city and venture to other cities. In these times of provocative headlines and comments, it is important to remember that Chinese people don't all think the same way, just like Germans and Americans have a wide variety of opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia